BeeJ

11/10/2011 2:09:00 AM

Been working on this very large app for a long time (over a year) and I
have a new IDE phenomenon. This app is a joy and a challenge and
probably will die with me.

I start the IDE and run the app.
I close the app, and Exit button or the control box.
I get the code window and it appears that I am ready to edit etc.
No subclassing.
No add-ins.

The IDE state is then:
File .. Help menu is locked.
Code area is fully editable.
IDE control box functional.
Product Code / Object buttons function.
Components can be added/removed from a form.

After about a minute, it all returns to normal.

Does not happen every time.
All I can figure is that I must be calling some API that does not
release for some long timeout.

Any clues?
And please don't say "glad it does not happen to me." lol

2 Answers

Mike Williams

"BeeJ" <nospam@spamnot.com> wrote in message

> Been working on this very large app for a long time . . . I start the IDE
> and run the app. I close the app, and Exit
> button or the control box. I get the code window and it
> appears that I am ready to edit etc. No subclassing.
> No add-ins. The IDE state is then:
> File .. Help menu is locked.
> Code area is fully editable.
> IDE control box functional.
> Product Code / Object buttons function.
> Components can be added/removed from a form.
> After about a minute, it all returns to normal.

As far as I recall, you are shuffling about a huge amount of String data,
perhaps even approaching your program's normal 2GB memory limit. The system
will need to sort this lot out when VB releases them as you close the
program. This should take only a little bit of time, especially if you have
a multi core machine but most especially if you have a lot of RAM, but it
might take a lot of time if your machine does not have much RAM (or if
something else is concurrently using a lot of RAM) and if you are running
heavily into the swapfile. How much RAM do you have? And have you noticed
your disk drive in heavy use during the period you are waiting?

Mike

BeeJ

This app, no. Some memory usage but not all that much.
It shows 2G RAM available when loaded up and running.

The app has 100,000 lines of code so stepping through is not an option
I want to persue. And if it has something to do with an API call, then
I probably will not see it anyway since while it is hung, I can do all
the code edits etc as usual. Keystrokes work etc. Just the Menu and
toolbars above the code window are locked. The Components are active
and available.