microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion

Opinions about gdiplus startup?

Mayayana

11/6/2011 10:45:00 PM

I've been switching some code to GDI+ and
finding that it works very nicely. In one case
I'm saving a DIB to JPG file and in the other
I'm replacing StretchBlt, as it doesn't work
well for very large images. But I'm wondering
how costly GDI startup and shutdown is. At
this point I'm doing the startup and shutdown
for every operation, but I might need to save
100 JPG files consecutively. Or I might need to
resize a DIB to thumbnail every few seconds.
Should I leave the code as is, or start/shutdown
once for every mulitple operation, or start/shutdown
with program start and close?

13 Answers

spoonful2

On May 20, 9:46?am, "Anthony Allende" <alle...@socal.rr.com> wrote:
> "Postal68" <oweny...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> On May 20, 12:13 pm, "Anthony Allende" <alle...@socal.rr.com> wrote:
>

> > I know I'm sitting out this tour in hopes that Bruce will play bigger
> > stadiums!
>
> > Not.
>
> > "PG" <pNOgalatiS...@earthlink.net> wrote in message

> > > Hi all I just got off the phone with my friend at the meadowland he is
> > > the
> > > manager of the disabled seating office, and he told me that Bruce and
> > > the
> > > boys will be playing in the fall at the stadium, tickets going on sale
> > > soon...in 2-3 weeks. He has been very reliable before so look for an
> > > announcement of soon!
> >I am one of the few people that love stadium shows. They are generally
> >so much better. The downfall, 90% of the seats suck.
>
> I think they're generally so much worse. Haven't been to one since Amnesty
> 1987. Never will go again.- Hide quoted text -

You make it sound like going to the Dentist, they aren't that bad.

media69

> You make it sound like going to the Dentist, they aren't that bad.- Hide quoted text -

They are only good for the 4,000 or so people who are closest to the
stage(or have a good viewing angle.

The rest are only there to get drunk in the parking lot and go on
multiple beer runs during the show.

spoonful2

On May 20, 10:01?am, media69 <medi...@aol.com> wrote:

> > You make it sound like going to the Dentist, they aren't that bad.- Hide quoted text -

> They are only good for the 4,000 or so people who are closest to the
> stage(or have a good viewing angle.
>
> The rest are only there to get drunk in the parking lot and go on
> multiple beer runs during the show.

I wouldn't let that stop me from going to one stadium show in 22 years
personally, but to each his/her own. I'd rather see Bruce play than
not.

On a related note, a friend of a friend works at the Meadowlands and
can always get tickets even the day before. Word is that even she
can't get tickets for these upcoming 2 shows at the Byrne (staying old
school). So I'm guessing the best drop is going to be a single here or
there at best.

Nate

On May 20, 10:13 am, "Anthony Allende" <alle...@socal.rr.com> wrote:
> I know I'm sitting out this tour in hopes that Bruce will play bigger
> stadiums!
>
> Not.
>
> "PG" <pNOgalatiS...@earthlink.net> wrote in message

> > Hi all I just got off the phone with my friend at the meadowland he is the
> > manager of the disabled seating office, and he told me that Bruce and the
> > boys will be playing in the fall at the stadium, tickets going on sale
> > soon...in 2-3 weeks. He has been very reliable before so look for an
> > announcement of soon!

There's no way they're going to do a multi-stadium swing. Bruce + the
band know they're going to have issues selling out 2 or 3 shows at
Giants - stadium shows anywhere else would be half full. I think
that, if there is another leg, it's going to be very similar to the
last leg of the Magic tour - arenas in places that didn't get first
leg shows, plus Giants Stadium.

andyk122

It is possible they're gonna bill it as a "last concert ever at Giants
Stadium" kind of thing.

On May 20, 3:56 pm, Nate <ooo....@gmail.com> wrote:

> There's no way they're going to do a multi-stadium swing.  Bruce + the
> band know they're going to have issues selling out 2 or 3 shows at
> Giants - stadium shows anywhere else would be half full.  I think
> that, if there is another leg, it's going to be very similar to the
> last leg of the Magic tour - arenas in places that didn't get first
> leg shows, plus Giants Stadium.

spoonful2

New Jersey Icons Will be Final Musical Act in Giants Stadium

Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band will once again rock Giants
Stadium September 30, October 2 & October 3!

Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band will be the final musical act
to play in the Giants Stadium as part of the celebratory final
season.

Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band is the top selling act of all
time at the Meadowlands having SOLD OUT 56 concerts to date (37 at
IZOD Center, 19 at Giants Stadium).

Bruce Springsteen and the legendary E Street band will energize Giants
Stadium for one last farewell before the stadium ends its 33-year
history after the 2009 football season.

Be a part of history with Bruce Springsteen and the legendary E Street
Band.

Tickets go on sale Monday, June 1st at 10am EST through Ticketmaster.
Visit meadowlands.com for more information.

Cathy

On May 20, 6:20 pm, spoonful2 <spoonf...@gmail.com> wrote:
> New Jersey Icons Will be Final Musical Act in Giants Stadium
>
> Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band will once again rock Giants
> Stadium September 30, October 2 & October 3!
>
> Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band will be the final musical act
> to play in the Giants Stadium as part of the celebratory final
> season.
>
> Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band is the top selling act of all
> time at the Meadowlands having SOLD OUT 56 concerts to date (37 at
> IZOD Center, 19 at Giants Stadium).
>
> Bruce Springsteen and the legendary E Street band will energize Giants
> Stadium for one last farewell before the stadium ends its 33-year
> history after the 2009 football season.
>
> Be a part of history with Bruce Springsteen and the legendary E Street
> Band.
>
> Tickets go on sale Monday, June 1st at 10am EST through Ticketmaster.
> Visit meadowlands.com for more information.

Oh, I'm SO glad this is true ;-)
Cathy

EmmaPeachbuns

On May 20, 6:23 pm, Cathy <madscn...@aol.com> wrote:
> On May 20, 6:20 pm, spoonful2 <spoonf...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > New Jersey Icons Will be Final Musical Act in Giants Stadium
>
> > Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band will once again rock Giants
> > Stadium September 30, October 2 & October 3!
>
> > Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band will be the final musical act
> > to play in the Giants Stadium as part of the celebratory final
> > season.
>
> > Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band is the top selling act of all
> > time at the Meadowlands having SOLD OUT 56 concerts to date (37 at
> > IZOD Center, 19 at Giants Stadium).
>
> > Bruce Springsteen and the legendary E Street band will energize Giants
> > Stadium for one last farewell before the stadium ends its 33-year
> > history after the 2009 football season.
>
> > Be a part of history with Bruce Springsteen and the legendary E Street
> > Band.
>
> > Tickets go on sale Monday, June 1st at 10am EST through Ticketmaster.
> > Visit meadowlands.com for more information.
>
> Oh, I'm SO glad this is true ;-)
> Cathy

It's not true....yet

there has been no official announcement or press release. This is all
still going off one person's post on BTX.

Patrick1765

On May 20, 6:11?pm, andyk...@gmail.com wrote:
> It is possible they're gonna bill it as a "last concert ever at Giants
> Stadium" kind of thing.

I said last year it wasn't going to be the last show at Giants
Stadium, everyone thought it was because of how badly the series sold,
but there was no way Bruce was going to let anyone else do the last
show at Giants Stadium, so of course he would be back this year. I
actually enjoy Stadium shows, it doesn't matter to me how close I am
to the stage, I can always move closer... even if I have to stand.

Thorsten Albers

Mayayana <mayayana@invalid.nospam> schrieb im Beitrag
<j972ln$r0t$1@dont-email.me>...
> Should I leave the code as is, or start/shutdown
> once for every mulitple operation, or start/shutdown
> with program start and close?

With progrmam start and close. AFAIK GDI+ has - like GDI - some caching
features which will be really usefull only if GDI+ hold in memory until the
last operation has been executed.

--
Thorsten Albers

gudea at gmx.de