BeeJ

10/26/2011 4:21:00 PM

Need tutorial on SourceSafe if it can do this.
Place individal forms, modules, classes and usercontrols in sharable
storage.

If not, what can?
Skip the "Use A Common Folder" message for now please.

Could this be done in an AddIn? i.e. are the hooks there?

14 Answers

marcus

On Oct 22, 8:18 pm, "who?" <yourimageunre...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> On Oct 22, 4:06 pm, Fattuchus <fattuc...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>

> > On Oct 22, 2:05 pm, Rocket Scientist <hoaido...@altavista.com> wrote:
>
> > > If John had not been murdered and the Beatles announced they would get
> > > together for only one time in 1996 (guaranteed no repeat performances)
> > > to put on an "Anthology" concert where they would play both old and
> > > new songs (e.g., Free As a Bird), how high would the price go for a
> > > ticket on E-Bay?  How much would you be willing to spend?
>
> > > I wouldn't be able to afford a ticket but I would definitely buy the
> > > concert DVD.
>
> > > -H
>
> > I can't recall the value of the dollar back in 1996, but I'd pay a
> > hefty sum if I could afford it.  I paid quite a bit for Bangla Desh
> > and One to One.
>
> How much for Bangla Desh if you don't mind me asking?

I know you were asking Fatts, but my ticket was $7.50, however, I paid
scalper price of $18.00, which was quite a bit to pay for tickets in
1971.

See below for copy of ticket, and account of concert.

http://marccatone.webs.com/concertforbang...

http://marccatone.webs.com/apps/photos/photo?photoid...

Fattuchus

On Oct 22, 8:18 pm, "who?" <yourimageunre...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> On Oct 22, 4:06 pm, Fattuchus <fattuc...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>

> > On Oct 22, 2:05 pm, Rocket Scientist <hoaido...@altavista.com> wrote:
>
> > > If John had not been murdered and the Beatles announced they would get
> > > together for only one time in 1996 (guaranteed no repeat performances)
> > > to put on an "Anthology" concert where they would play both old and
> > > new songs (e.g., Free As a Bird), how high would the price go for a
> > > ticket on E-Bay?  How much would you be willing to spend?
>
> > > I wouldn't be able to afford a ticket but I would definitely buy the
> > > concert DVD.
>
> > > -H
>
> > I can't recall the value of the dollar back in 1996, but I'd pay a
> > hefty sum if I could afford it.  I paid quite a bit for Bangla Desh
> > and One to One.
>
> How much for Bangla Desh if you don't mind me asking?-

I can't recall what I paid, it was so long ago. Fifty dollars? One
hundred dollars? Probably no more than that, but that was a pretty
significant sum in the 1970's.

At the time I had a relative in the business world who had
"connections." I cannot recall if he dealt with a scalper or a
legitimate ticket retailer . . . . I remember tickets went like CRAZY
because there were rumors that all the Beatles might be there. I was
very lucky I got tickets at all.

I sat WAAAAYY in the back . . . . the stage looked so far away.

Great show.

Fattuchus

On Oct 22, 8:39 pm, marcus <marcus...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Oct 22, 8:18 pm, "who?" <yourimageunre...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> > > I can't recall the value of the dollar back in 1996, but I'd pay a
> > > hefty sum if I could afford it.  I paid quite a bit for Bangla Desh
> > > and One to One.
>
> > How much for Bangla Desh if you don't mind me asking?
>
> I know you were asking Fatts, but my ticket was $7.50, however, I paid
> scalper price of $18.00, which was quite a bit to pay for tickets in
> 1971.
>
> See below for copy of ticket, and account of concert.
>
> http://marccatone.webs.com/concertforbang...
>
> http://marccatone.webs.com/apps/photos/photo?photoid=...

Oy . . . . perhaps my memory was off. I thought I paid more than
$18. Maybe it was $25 or $50? I can't remember.

marcus

On Oct 23, 3:31 pm, Fattuchus <fattuc...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Oct 22, 8:39 pm, marcus <marcus...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> > > How much for Bangla Desh if you don't mind me asking?
>
> > I know you were asking Fatts, but my ticket was $7.50, however, I paid
> > scalper price of $18.00, which was quite a bit to pay for tickets in
> > 1971.
>
> > See below for copy of ticket, and account of concert.
>
> >http://marccatone.webs.com/concertforbang...
>
> >http://marccatone.webs.com/apps/photos/photo?photoid=...
>
> Oy . . . . perhaps my memory was off.  I thought I paid more than
> $18.  Maybe it was $25 or $50?  I can't remember.

The price on my ticket was $7.50, but I paid $18 to a 3rd party ticket
agency in Stamford CT. That was a lot of money in those days, just
slightly less than the cost of a lid...did I just say that out
loud. ;-)

http://marccatone.webs.com/concertforbang...

http://marccatone.webs.com/apps/photos/photo?photoid...

Marc

Jeff

On Oct 23, 2:29 pm, Fattuchus <fattuc...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Oct 22, 8:18 pm, "who?" <yourimageunre...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> > > I can't recall the value of the dollar back in 1996, but I'd pay a
> > > hefty sum if I could afford it.  I paid quite a bit for Bangla Desh
> > > and One to One.
>
> > How much for Bangla Desh if you don't mind me asking?-
>
> I can't recall what I paid, it was so long ago.  Fifty dollars?  One
> hundred dollars?  Probably no more than that, but that was a pretty
> significant sum in the 1970's.
>
> At the time I had a relative in the business world who had
> "connections."  I cannot recall if he dealt with a scalper or a
> legitimate ticket retailer . . . .  I remember tickets went like CRAZY
> because there were rumors that all the Beatles might be there. I was
> very lucky I got tickets at all.
>
> I sat WAAAAYY in the back . . . . the stage looked so far away.
>
> Great show.

I remember when the show came out on LP. I didn't have one
friend that was into the music. They were all into hard rock
in 1971. WMGGW.....I must have played a million times.

Update: Checked out some music stores this past week
and already Harrison's music is nowhere to be found.
Olivia needs to keep his music out there if she would
like the public to buy it.

ralph

On Wed, 26 Oct 2011 09:20:46 -0700, BeeJ <nospam@spamnot.com> wrote:

>Need tutorial on SourceSafe if it can do this.
> Place individal forms, modules, classes and usercontrols in sharable
>storage.
>
>If not, what can?
>Skip the "Use A Common Folder" message for now please.
>
>Could this be done in an AddIn? i.e. are the hooks there?

Yes. In fact any SCCS control system can do that, though using VSS
provides clear advantages for the VB developer over other systems.

However, the issue when it comes to "sharable storage" or shared
components, is not with any particular SCCS, Addon, external
framework, or utility, it is with VB (the Visual Basic Windows
Development platform) itself. VB Projects do not 'share' well with
others with the single exception of ActiveX components. Each VB
Project once opened becomes the king of its universe and assumes all
ownership of all modules it uses.

So when a developer goes to define what modules they intend to "share"
across several projects they must first address ownership - who has
the rights to modify, or in working backwards how dependent is each
component on its "owner".

One could list several scenarios but without knowing how you intend to
define ownership most would be wasteful.

-ralph

ralph

On Wed, 26 Oct 2011 09:20:46 -0700, BeeJ <nospam@spamnot.com> wrote:

>Need tutorial on SourceSafe if it can do this.
> Place individal forms, modules, classes and usercontrols in sharable
>storage.

Just to add to the pile ... Forms and Usercontrols make lousy sharable
components. Over time any attempt to share them across multiple
projects will lead to trouble.

For Forms it is best to create an initial template or 'seed' for new
projects, and thereafter consider them Project-specific. Moving as
much code as possible into code-behind modules, which can be shared,
will help.

For those Usercontrols you intend to share it is best to create an
ActiveX Control (.OCX).

-ralph

ralph

On Wed, 26 Oct 2011 14:54:33 -0500, ralph <nt_consulting64@yahoo.net>
wrote:

>Just to add to the pile ... Forms and Usercontrols make lousy sharable
>components. Over time any attempt to share them across multiple
>projects will lead to trouble.

Child Forms for use with MDI is probably the one exception.

-ralph

BeeJ

BeeJ explained :
> Need tutorial on SourceSafe if it can do this.
> Place individal forms, modules, classes and usercontrols in sharable
> storage.
>
> If not, what can?
> Skip the "Use A Common Folder" message for now please.
>
> Could this be done in an AddIn? i.e. are the hooks there?

OK, so where can I find a tutorial on using VSS the way I want? Books?
On-line stuff? Have no clue on using it. Don't even know how to
start it.

I always say no to add to VSS when I start a new project.

I don't need or want to add an entire project, just come common files.
I do have a few forms that are common among projects and would really
like to share that. e.g. I wrote an UltiMsgBox and UltiInputBox that
has many more features than the built-ins.

There is only one developer .. me.

I need to be able to move the database from one laptop to another as I
move around.

ralph

On Wed, 26 Oct 2011 17:54:28 -0700, BeeJ <nospam@spamnot.com> wrote:

>BeeJ explained :
>> Need tutorial on SourceSafe if it can do this.
>> Place individal forms, modules, classes and usercontrols in sharable
>> storage.
>>
>> If not, what can?
>> Skip the "Use A Common Folder" message for now please.
>>
>> Could this be done in an AddIn? i.e. are the hooks there?
>
>OK, so where can I find a tutorial on using VSS the way I want? Books?
>On-line stuff? Have no clue on using it. Don't even know how to
>start it.
>
>I always say no to add to VSS when I start a new project.
>
>I don't need or want to add an entire project, just come common files.
>I do have a few forms that are common among projects and would really
>like to share that. e.g. I wrote an UltiMsgBox and UltiInputBox that
>has many more features than the built-ins.
>
>There is only one developer .. me.
>
>I need to be able to move the database from one laptop to another as I
>move around.

Don't have access to a pure Visual Studio 6.0 installation at the
moment, but I believe you will find there is MSDN or Help available.
Also check out the VB Readme files in the VB6 root directory.
[If you bought the Visual Studio Enterprise edition - it came with a
small book - but likely long gone now.]

Microsoft wiped most of their pre-Net articles but a few technical
articles remain. You will probably find small pieces of information
there useful, especially when it comes to backup, copying, and
maintaince; "Microsoft Visual SourceSafe Best Practices"
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh2...

Most information that applies to VSS 6.0d (VS 2005) also applies to
VSS 5/6.0. (The main differences are internal the rest cosmetic.) For
example VSS 6.0d calls its client utility the "Explorer" and it looks
different but the functionality is pretty much the same. In VSS 6.0d
any changes a developer makes in the explorer apply only to him. With
VSS 6.0 any admin changes will of course apply to everyone.

It is fairly simple to use, and integrates almost seemlessly with the
VBIDE. The quickest way to get up to speed is to open some junk
projects and start playing.

In terms of the Basics it is no different that any other SCCS - you
have check-in, check-out, add, view, label, pin, etc.

Odd Notes:
1) VSS by default does not automatically include .FRX files. You will
need to open VSS Options -> 'File Types' tab -> and add the extension
to the list.

2) VSS is project-based but VSS Projects need not be the same
structure as VB Projects. It uses the concept of "Working Folder" to
translate its structure to the disk.

3) Never incrementally back up a VSS database. Always do a full back
up. Never incrementally 'update' two VSS databases. Always do a full
copy.

4) VSS supplies a maintenance utility (forgot the name for the
moment). USE IT frequently, at least once a week.

5) Periodically make sure you Label your existing code. This will
allow you to come back and clean up intermediate steps more easily.

6) You can run the VSS client to manage projects inside or outside of
the VBIDE. Never run the VSS client to manage an Open VB Project that
is using VSS. The problems this can cause are rare, but annoying -
best to avoid going there.

7) In the same vein, VSS has a command line and an automation
interface. Avoid using either to chew on an open VB Project at the
same time.

-ralph
[I am really surprised that some many of the old articles are so well
buried - been searching the web for a while now and VSS 6.0d is as old
as it gets. <g> I'll keep looking for some articles.]