microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion

Files not to include in the installation

mm

10/19/2011 9:14:00 AM

Hello, I tried to find the messages, because I think it has been asked
before, but I was unable to find them.

Do you have a list of files that should _never_ be included in the
installation package.

So far I have (it's just from my own experience):

MSCOMCTL.OCX
MSCOMCT2.OCX
COMCTL32.DLL
UXTHEME.DLL
MSSTKPRP.DLL
PSAPI.DLL

Thank you.
6 Answers

Dee Earley

On 19/10/2011 10:13, Eduardo wrote:
> Hello, I tried to find the messages, because I think it has been asked
> before, but I was unable to find them.
>
> Do you have a list of files that should _never_ be included in the
> installation package.
>
> So far I have (it's just from my own experience):
>
> MSCOMCTL.OCX
> MSCOMCT2.OCX

These can be included (and must be if your app needs them)

> COMCTL32.DLL

Used to be updateable but recent versions of Windows have locked it to
OS specific version, don't include it.

> UXTHEME.DLL

Windows Version specific, don't include.

> MSSTKPRP.DLL

Seems to be an ATL component:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/librar...(v=vs.80).aspx

> PSAPI.DLL

Again, it looks like a Windows component.

In general, you should include the redistributable version of the
runtime used by your application framework, the redistributable version
of all 3rd party controls you use, and that's it.
Note that the OCX files are explicitly listed as redistributable so you
can include (the recommended version of) them in your setup.

--
Dee Earley (dee.earley@icode.co.uk)
i-Catcher Development Team

iCode Systems

Please reply to the group.)

mm

El 19/10/2011 06:27 a.m., Deanna Earley escribió:
> On 19/10/2011 10:13, Eduardo wrote:
>> Hello, I tried to find the messages, because I think it has been asked
>> before, but I was unable to find them.
>>
>> Do you have a list of files that should _never_ be included in the
>> installation package.
>>
>> So far I have (it's just from my own experience):
>>
>> MSCOMCTL.OCX
>> MSCOMCT2.OCX
>
> These can be included (and must be if your app needs them)

I had reboot problems recently, when packaging a project on Windows
Vista and tried to install it on XP. I removed the inclusion of those
two files and then it installed fine.

Could you or someone else provide more information about whether to
include those specific files or not?

This is important, but my main goal is to have a list, as comprehensive
as possible (or a partial list that anyone could contribute with), of
all the files that should never been included in an installer package.

Thanks for your answer.

Dee Earley

On 19/10/2011 10:54, Eduardo wrote:
> El 19/10/2011 06:27 a.m., Deanna Earley escribió:
>> On 19/10/2011 10:13, Eduardo wrote:
>>> Hello, I tried to find the messages, because I think it has been asked
>>> before, but I was unable to find them.
>>>
>>> Do you have a list of files that should _never_ be included in the
>>> installation package.
>>>
>>> So far I have (it's just from my own experience):
>>>
>>> MSCOMCTL.OCX
>>> MSCOMCT2.OCX
>>
>> These can be included (and must be if your app needs them)
>
> I had reboot problems recently, when packaging a project on Windows
> Vista and tried to install it on XP. I removed the inclusion of those
> two files and then it installed fine.

I can't see any way those files would have caused "reboot problems" as
they aren't system files and aren't used by any system components.
It may have broken some applications if you distributed ones that you
weren't allowed though. Only use the ones included in the latest VB/VS
service pack, and NOT from your system32 folder.

> Could you or someone else provide more information about whether to
> include those specific files or not?

See the REDIST.TXT in your Visual Studio installation directory

> This is important, but my main goal is to have a list, as comprehensive
> as possible (or a partial list that anyone could contribute with), of
> all the files that should never been included in an installer package.

The simplest is don't include anything unless explicitly allowed by the
authors, and even then only using the correct method/location.

--

El 19/10/2011 07:06 a.m., Deanna Earley escribió:
> On 19/10/2011 10:54, Eduardo wrote:

>>> These can be included (and must be if your app needs them)
>>
>> I had reboot problems recently, when packaging a project on Windows
>> Vista and tried to install it on XP. I removed the inclusion of those
>> two files and then it installed fine.
>
> I can't see any way those files would have caused "reboot problems" as
> they aren't system files and aren't used by any system components.
> It may have broken some applications if you distributed ones that you
> weren't allowed though. Only use the ones included in the latest VB/VS
> service pack, and NOT from your system32 folder.

I have SP6 installed, and I don't see those files in the Redist folder.
The ones that I have are:

ASYCFILT.DLL
CO2C40EN.DLL
COMCAT.DLL
COMCTL32.OCX
COMDLG32.OCX
MDAC_TYP.EXE
MDAC_TYP.EXE_viejo
MFC40.DLL
MSFLXGRD.OCX
MSMASK32.OCX
MSVBVM60.DLL
MSVCRT.DLL
MSVCRT20.DLL
MSVCRT40.DLL
OLEAUT32.DLL
OLEPRO32.DLL
RICHED32.DLL
RICHTX32.OCX
STDOLE2.TLB
TABCTL32.OCX

>> Could you or someone else provide more information about whether to
>> include those specific files or not?
>
> See the REDIST.TXT in your Visual Studio installation directory
>
>> This is important, but my main goal is to have a list, as comprehensive
>> as possible (or a partial list that anyone could contribute with), of
>> all the files that should never been included in an installer package.
>
> The simplest is don't include anything unless explicitly allowed by the
> authors, and even then only using the correct method/location.

May be I wasn't clear. I don't want to have a list of files that are
allowed by MS or someone else to redistribute, but what I want is a list
of files that should not be included in the package because they will
cause problems (like prompts to reboot), and that they are not necessary
in any case in modern systems (because they are now system files).

Thanks.

(Mike Mitchell)

On Wed, 19 Oct 2011 06:54:08 -0300, Eduardo <mm@mm.com> wrote:

>El 19/10/2011 06:27 a.m., Deanna Earley escribió:
>> On 19/10/2011 10:13, Eduardo wrote:
>>> Hello, I tried to find the messages, because I think it has been asked
>>> before, but I was unable to find them.
>>>
>>> Do you have a list of files that should _never_ be included in the
>>> installation package.
>>>
>>> So far I have (it's just from my own experience):
>>>
>>> MSCOMCTL.OCX
>>> MSCOMCT2.OCX
>>
>> These can be included (and must be if your app needs them)
>
>I had reboot problems recently, when packaging a project on Windows
>Vista and tried to install it on XP. I removed the inclusion of those
>two files and then it installed fine.
>
>Could you or someone else provide more information about whether to
>include those specific files or not?
>
>This is important, but my main goal is to have a list, as comprehensive
>as possible (or a partial list that anyone could contribute with), of
>all the files that should never been included in an installer package.
>
>Thanks for your answer.

Eduardo, have you experimented with packaging your project as a
registration-free side-by-side installation? So far I have had
excellent results with this approach since Make My Manifest first
appeared. I have at least one freeware application that doesn't
require installation on XP (min SP2), Vista or Windows 7. Note that
this is not necessarily a plug for MMM, with which I have nothing to
do other than being a satisfied user. Note, too, that there is the
final version now available with source code.
http://mmm4vb6.atom5.com/mmm-source-now-freel...

MM

mm

El 20/10/2011 02:59 a.m., MM escribió:

> Eduardo, have you experimented with packaging your project as a
> registration-free side-by-side installation? So far I have had
> excellent results with this approach since Make My Manifest first
> appeared. I have at least one freeware application that doesn't
> require installation on XP (min SP2), Vista or Windows 7. Note that
> this is not necessarily a plug for MMM, with which I have nothing to
> do other than being a satisfied user. Note, too, that there is the
> final version now available with source code.
> http://mmm4vb6.atom5.com/mmm-source-now-freel...
>
> MM

Hi MM.
Yes, that's a great program. I used it once (some months ago) in a
project that needed to work as a stand alone application, and to be
possible to run it from an USB disk without installation. It worked great.

But the more "normal" nowadays is to download one file from internet and
install the application on Windows.

I downloaded MMM with the source code, thanks. I'll check it later
because I'll have to pause wy programming work now for about 10 days (I
have to work on other things). Thanks.