Jack Russell

10/19/2011 7:48:00 AM

Just been forced to upgrade to Windows 7

Cannot get it to install control threed32.ocx

When I try to instal service packs 4 5 and 6 it tells me it requires the
pre installation of MDAC. I found MDAC on Microsofts site but cannot get
it to install

Help please!

jack Russell
11 Answers

Dee Earley

On 19/10/2011 08:48, Jack Russell wrote:
> Just been forced to upgrade to Windows 7
>
> Cannot get it to install control threed32.ocx

People still use that DLL??
I thought that went out with VB4..

> When I try to instal service packs 4 5 and 6 it tells me it requires the
> pre installation of MDAC. I found MDAC on Microsofts site but cannot get
> it to install

Most of the MDAC components now come with Windows, and the rest came as
part of the VB6 install.
What version MDAC and what are the error messages (of both the SP and
the MDAC installs)?

--
Dee Earley (dee.earley@icode.co.uk)
i-Catcher Development Team

iCode Systems

Please reply to the group.)

ralph

On Wed, 19 Oct 2011 18:48:09 +1100, Jack Russell
<notthedog@kennel.com> wrote:

>Just been forced to upgrade to Windows 7
>
>Cannot get it to install control threed32.ocx
>
>When I try to instal service packs 4 5 and 6 it tells me it requires the
>pre installation of MDAC. I found MDAC on Microsofts site but cannot get
>it to install

You can not install a MDAC on Windows 7 (nor Vista) and you don't need
to. Just skip it.

All service packs are cumulative - therefore, there is no reason
install any service packs previous to SP6.

IIRC, VBSp6 will install without requiring MDAC, so what is the exact
error you getting when you attempt to install SP6 without an MDAC
install?

[Previous SPs did require installing MDAC and would error if the MDAC
install failed.]

I too wonder at why you would need threed32.ocx? <g>
However, if it really is needed, simply manually install it when the
smoke clears.

Mike Williams

"Jack Russell" <notthedog@kennel.com> wrote in message
> Just been forced to upgrade to Windows 7
> When I try to instal service packs 4 5 and 6 it tells me
> it requires the pre installation of MDAC. I found MDAC
> on Microsofts site but cannot get it to install Help please!

You do not need to install MDAC on Windows 7, in fact the system will
prevent you from doing so. As far as I recall it is SP5 which has this MDAC
problem. If you are going to install SP6, which I think does not have the
problem, then I don't think you need SP5. If you do want to install SP5
though then you can get around the MDAC problem by editing one of the SP5
installation files. In fact SP5 does not need MDAC at all on Windows 7 . . .
it just thinks it does. I'm not sure whether there are two versions of SP5
but if you have a look in the folder into which you extracted your SP5
files, and if it is the same SP5 as my own, then you should find a file
called sp598vbo.stf. Open this file in NotePad and have a look for the line:

13 Group 28 32 34 29 30 26 27 14 25 17 15 35 21 22

You need to edit this line so as to remove the reference to line 32, so that
you end up with the following:

13 Group 28 34 29 30 26 27 14 25 17 15 35 21 22

Don't do a copy and paste because it is easy to get this wrong, so instead
just carefully edit out the 32 and its associated space character. If you
save the file as amended you should find that SP5 installs okay.

Mike

Jack Russell

Thanks, SP^ installed no problems (I gave up when 4 and 5 failed)

Any ideas how I install threed32.ocx?

On 19/10/2011 8:37 PM, Mike Williams wrote:
> "Jack Russell" <notthedog@kennel.com> wrote in message
>> Just been forced to upgrade to Windows 7
>> When I try to instal service packs 4 5 and 6 it tells me
>> it requires the pre installation of MDAC. I found MDAC
>> on Microsofts site but cannot get it to install Help please!
>
> You do not need to install MDAC on Windows 7, in fact the system will
> prevent you from doing so. As far as I recall it is SP5 which has this
> MDAC problem. If you are going to install SP6, which I think does not
> have the problem, then I don't think you need SP5. If you do want to
> install SP5 though then you can get around the MDAC problem by editing
> one of the SP5 installation files. In fact SP5 does not need MDAC at all
> on Windows 7 . . . it just thinks it does. I'm not sure whether there
> are two versions of SP5 but if you have a look in the folder into which
> you extracted your SP5 files, and if it is the same SP5 as my own, then
> you should find a file called sp598vbo.stf. Open this file in NotePad
> and have a look for the line:
>
> 13 Group 28 32 34 29 30 26 27 14 25 17 15 35 21 22
>
> You need to edit this line so as to remove the reference to line 32, so
> that you end up with the following:
>
> 13 Group 28 34 29 30 26 27 14 25 17 15 35 21 22
>
> Don't do a copy and paste because it is easy to get this wrong, so
> instead just carefully edit out the 32 and its associated space
> character. If you save the file as amended you should find that SP5
> installs okay.
>
> Mike

MikeD

> Thanks, SP^ installed no problems (I gave up when 4 and 5 failed)
>
> Any ideas how I install threed32.ocx?

You should strongly consider dropping that control. It has not been needed
for 3D appearances ever since VB5, which is when it was discontinued. On
WinXP and later, all its controls look atrocious. Just use VB's intrinsic
controls. If I remember right, the only control in THREED32 for which there
is no intrinsic control in VB6 is the Panel.

Now, that does mean you need to replace all THREED controls. If you've got a
lot of projects, that may take some time. So, if you want to continue using
until it you can get around to replacing them, you can find THREED32.OCX on
your VB6 media. Exactly where will vary depending on edition of VB6 (or
Visual Studio 6) that you have. For VB6 Enterprise, it's on disc 1 in
"COMMON\TOOLS\VB\CONTROLS". If you only need it for runtime use, copy it to
System32 (for 32 bit Windows) or SysWOW64 (for 64 bit Windows) and register
it using REGSVR32.EXE. If you also still need it for design-time use in the
IDE, then you must additionally add the license key to the Registry. In the
same folder of your VB6 media, there is another file named VBCTRLS.REG.
Double click that to add the license key. See the README file also in that
folder for more detailed information.

--
Mike

Jack Russell

Mike,

Sorry I should have given you more info. I have the control but when I
try register it I get an error call to dllregisterserver failed with
error code 0x80040200

Jack

On 20/10/2011 9:10 AM, MikeD wrote:

> "Jack Russell" <notthedog@kennel.com> wrote in message
>> Thanks, SP^ installed no problems (I gave up when 4 and 5 failed)
>>
>> Any ideas how I install threed32.ocx?
>

> You should strongly consider dropping that control. It has not been
> needed for 3D appearances ever since VB5, which is when it was
> discontinued. On WinXP and later, all its controls look atrocious. Just
> use VB's intrinsic controls. If I remember right, the only control in
> THREED32 for which there is no intrinsic control in VB6 is the Panel.
>
> Now, that does mean you need to replace all THREED controls. If you've
> got a lot of projects, that may take some time. So, if you want to
> continue using until it you can get around to replacing them, you can
> find THREED32.OCX on your VB6 media. Exactly where will vary depending
> on edition of VB6 (or Visual Studio 6) that you have. For VB6
> Enterprise, it's on disc 1 in "COMMON\TOOLS\VB\CONTROLS". If you only
> need it for runtime use, copy it to System32 (for 32 bit Windows) or
> SysWOW64 (for 64 bit Windows) and register it using REGSVR32.EXE. If you
> also still need it for design-time use in the IDE, then you must
> additionally add the license key to the Registry. In the same folder of
> your VB6 media, there is another file named VBCTRLS.REG. Double click
> that to add the license key. See the README file also in that folder for
> more detailed information.

Henning

"Jack Russell" <notthedog@kennel.com> skrev i meddelandet
> Mike,
>
> Sorry I should have given you more info. I have the control but when I try
> register it I get an error call to dllregisterserver failed with error
> code 0x80040200
>
> Jack
>
> On 20/10/2011 9:10 AM, MikeD wrote:
>>

>> "Jack Russell" <notthedog@kennel.com> wrote in message
>>> Thanks, SP^ installed no problems (I gave up when 4 and 5 failed)
>>>
>>> Any ideas how I install threed32.ocx?
>>

>> You should strongly consider dropping that control. It has not been
>> needed for 3D appearances ever since VB5, which is when it was
>> discontinued. On WinXP and later, all its controls look atrocious. Just
>> use VB's intrinsic controls. If I remember right, the only control in
>> THREED32 for which there is no intrinsic control in VB6 is the Panel.
>>
>> Now, that does mean you need to replace all THREED controls. If you've
>> got a lot of projects, that may take some time. So, if you want to
>> continue using until it you can get around to replacing them, you can
>> find THREED32.OCX on your VB6 media. Exactly where will vary depending
>> on edition of VB6 (or Visual Studio 6) that you have. For VB6
>> Enterprise, it's on disc 1 in "COMMON\TOOLS\VB\CONTROLS". If you only
>> need it for runtime use, copy it to System32 (for 32 bit Windows) or
>> SysWOW64 (for 64 bit Windows) and register it using REGSVR32.EXE. If you
>> also still need it for design-time use in the IDE, then you must
>> additionally add the license key to the Registry. In the same folder of
>> your VB6 media, there is another file named VBCTRLS.REG. Double click
>> that to add the license key. See the README file also in that folder for
>> more detailed information.

From Google:
Open a command prompt by right clicking CMD and using 'run as
administrator', then try registering the library file from there.

/Henning

Jack Russell

On 20/10/2011 10:53 AM, Henning wrote:
> "Jack Russell"<notthedog@kennel.com> skrev i meddelandet
>> Mike,
>>
>> Sorry I should have given you more info. I have the control but when I try
>> register it I get an error call to dllregisterserver failed with error
>> code 0x80040200
>>
>> Jack
>>
>> On 20/10/2011 9:10 AM, MikeD wrote:
>>>

>>> "Jack Russell"<notthedog@kennel.com> wrote in message

>>> You should strongly consider dropping that control. It has not been
>>> needed for 3D appearances ever since VB5, which is when it was
>>> discontinued. On WinXP and later, all its controls look atrocious. Just
>>> use VB's intrinsic controls. If I remember right, the only control in
>>> THREED32 for which there is no intrinsic control in VB6 is the Panel.
>>>
>>> Now, that does mean you need to replace all THREED controls. If you've
>>> got a lot of projects, that may take some time. So, if you want to
>>> continue using until it you can get around to replacing them, you can
>>> find THREED32.OCX on your VB6 media. Exactly where will vary depending
>>> on edition of VB6 (or Visual Studio 6) that you have. For VB6
>>> Enterprise, it's on disc 1 in "COMMON\TOOLS\VB\CONTROLS". If you only
>>> need it for runtime use, copy it to System32 (for 32 bit Windows) or
>>> SysWOW64 (for 64 bit Windows) and register it using REGSVR32.EXE. If you
>>> also still need it for design-time use in the IDE, then you must
>>> additionally add the license key to the Registry. In the same folder of
>>> your VB6 media, there is another file named VBCTRLS.REG. Double click
>>> that to add the license key. See the README file also in that folder for
>>> more detailed information.
>>>

> From Google:
> Open a command prompt by right clicking CMD and using 'run as
> administrator', then try registering the library file from there.
>
> /Henning

Brilliant, thanks.
Why do MS have to make everything so devious!!!

Dee Earley

On 20/10/2011 03:17, Jack Russell wrote:
> On 20/10/2011 10:53 AM, Henning wrote:
>> From Google:
>> Open a command prompt by right clicking CMD and using 'run as
>> administrator', then try registering the library file from there.
>
> Brilliant, thanks.
> Why do MS have to make everything so devious!!!

Err, file registration (normally) as needed admin access for the last 15
years :)

--
Dee Earley (dee.earley@icode.co.uk)
i-Catcher Development Team
http://www.icode.co.uk...

iCode Systems

Please reply to the group.)

MikeD

Yeah, that's a little different than "how do I install it". <g>

Mike