scbs29

10/17/2011 9:25:00 AM

Hello all
VB6 has suddenly started crashing on saving a project after editing
the code. One day the saving worked ok, and the next day, with no
changes made to the pc, the crashing started.
I have the options set to always ask if changes are to be saved when
the program is run within the IDE.
If I create a new project and then save when running it is ok, but if
I edit the code in an existing project and save when running then I
get a message that Visual Basic has encountered a problem and needs to
close etc.

Information about the error gives
AppName vb6.exe AppVer 6.0.97.82 ModName vb6.exe
ModVer 6.0.97.82 Offset 000afa89

And a file named something like e21a_appcompat.txt is created.

Has anyone any idea what may be causing the problem ?
TIA

remove fred before emailing
Registered Linux User 490858
15 Answers

(nobody)

"scbs29" <scbs29@fred.talktalk.net> wrote in message
> Hello all
> VB6 has suddenly started crashing on saving a project after editing
> the code. One day the saving worked ok, and the next day, with no
> changes made to the pc, the crashing started.
> I have the options set to always ask if changes are to be saved when
> the program is run within the IDE.
> If I create a new project and then save when running it is ok, but if
> I edit the code in an existing project and save when running then I
> get a message that Visual Basic has encountered a problem and needs to
> close etc.
>
> Information about the error gives
> AppName vb6.exe AppVer 6.0.97.82 ModName vb6.exe
> ModVer 6.0.97.82 Offset 000afa89
>
> And a file named something like e21a_appcompat.txt is created.
>
> Has anyone any idea what may be causing the problem ?

Usually this is caused by Add-ins. Try disabling them all, then reenable
them one by one until the problem appears.

MikeD

"Nobody" <nobody@nobody.com> wrote in message
> "scbs29" <scbs29@fred.talktalk.net> wrote in message
>> Hello all
>> VB6 has suddenly started crashing on saving a project after editing
>> the code. One day the saving worked ok, and the next day, with no
>> changes made to the pc, the crashing started.
>> I have the options set to always ask if changes are to be saved when
>> the program is run within the IDE.
>> If I create a new project and then save when running it is ok, but if
>> I edit the code in an existing project and save when running then I
>> get a message that Visual Basic has encountered a problem and needs to
>> close etc.
>>
>> Information about the error gives
>> AppName vb6.exe AppVer 6.0.97.82 ModName vb6.exe
>> ModVer 6.0.97.82 Offset 000afa89
>>
>> And a file named something like e21a_appcompat.txt is created.
>>
>> Has anyone any idea what may be causing the problem ?
>
> Usually this is caused by Add-ins. Try disabling them all, then reenable
> them one by one until the problem appears.

I would not think so because if an Add-In was the cause, it'd probably crash
all the time. He said it doesn't crash for a new project. That indicates
it's most likely something about that project. It'd have been helpful if
the OP had been a little clearer as to whether it's one specific project or
any existing project.

My guess is that a VB limitation has been reached. Perhaps a procedure or
module that exceeds (or is close to) a VB limit.

--
Mike

scbs29

On Mon, 17 Oct 2011 16:31:22 -0400, "MikeD" <nobody@nowhere.edu>
wrote:

>"Nobody" <nobody@nobody.com> wrote in message
>> "scbs29" <scbs29@fred.talktalk.net> wrote in message
>>> Hello all
>>> VB6 has suddenly started crashing on saving a project after editing
>>> the code. One day the saving worked ok, and the next day, with no
>>> changes made to the pc, the crashing started.
>>> I have the options set to always ask if changes are to be saved when
>>> the program is run within the IDE.
>>> If I create a new project and then save when running it is ok, but if
>>> I edit the code in an existing project and save when running then I
>>> get a message that Visual Basic has encountered a problem and needs to
>>> close etc.
>>>
>>> Information about the error gives
>>> AppName vb6.exe AppVer 6.0.97.82 ModName vb6.exe
>>> ModVer 6.0.97.82 Offset 000afa89
>>>
>>> And a file named something like e21a_appcompat.txt is created.
>>>
>>> Has anyone any idea what may be causing the problem ?
>>
>> Usually this is caused by Add-ins. Try disabling them all, then reenable
>> them one by one until the problem appears.
>
>I would not think so because if an Add-In was the cause, it'd probably crash
>all the time. He said it doesn't crash for a new project. That indicates
>it's most likely something about that project. It'd have been helpful if
>the OP had been a little clearer as to whether it's one specific project or
>any existing project.
>
>My guess is that a VB limitation has been reached. Perhaps a procedure or
>module that exceeds (or is close to) a VB limit.

Thanks for the replies.
The project is a 'nearly new' one and consists of a form and a module.
The module has 5 procedures and the form has a command button and 4
list boxes.
After looking at the replies, I checked the code and the only thing
that I thought was not necessary was a list of 36 public variables in
the module. I deleted them and suddenly the project will save.
Admittedly I have only tried this a couple of times, but so far it
seems ok.
Why a list of 36 variables of the form
Public strFred as string
etc
should cause the failure on save I don't know, especially since it
started happening literally overnight with no changes to the project
or anything else.

remove fred before emailing
Registered Linux User 490858

ralph

On Tue, 18 Oct 2011 13:01:28 +0100, scbs29 <scbs29@fred.talktalk.net>
wrote:

>The project is a 'nearly new' one and consists of a form and a module.
>The module has 5 procedures and the form has a command button and 4
>list boxes.
>After looking at the replies, I checked the code and the only thing
>that I thought was not necessary was a list of 36 public variables in
>the module. I deleted them and suddenly the project will save.
>Admittedly I have only tried this a couple of times, but so far it
>seems ok.
>Why a list of 36 variables of the form
>Public strFred as string
>etc
>should cause the failure on save I don't know, especially since it
>started happening literally overnight with no changes to the project
>or anything else.

I'm not sure either, however, declaring "Public" variables in a Form
(the same as in a VB Class) creates Public Properties adding them to
the Form's public or default interface.

[If you intended for these variables to be 'global' only for the Form,
then you should declare them Private.]

Just 36 extra methods shouldn't be a problem (unless you already have
declared a couple of hundred methods in the Form).

There may have been some unintended naming or type collision with
another Form attribute or method. Can't think of anything at the
moment that might cause a problem - normally when this happens you get
a syntax error or a problem compiling - not when merely saving. (Might
be something else going on. Not too sure what you meant by "saving
while running", etc.)

Simply removing an offending item then putting it back often 'fixes' a
problem when the VBIDE is confused.

If you have the time it would be interesting to put the variables back
and see if you have the same problem, then remove each variable until
you isolate the troublemaker.

-ralph

scbs29

On Tue, 18 Oct 2011 09:05:28 -0500, ralph <nt_consulting64@yahoo.net>
wrote:

>On Tue, 18 Oct 2011 13:01:28 +0100, scbs29 <scbs29@fred.talktalk.net>
>wrote:
>
>>The project is a 'nearly new' one and consists of a form and a module.
>>The module has 5 procedures and the form has a command button and 4
>>list boxes.
>>After looking at the replies, I checked the code and the only thing
>>that I thought was not necessary was a list of 36 public variables in
>>the module. I deleted them and suddenly the project will save.
>>Admittedly I have only tried this a couple of times, but so far it
>>seems ok.
>>Why a list of 36 variables of the form
>>Public strFred as string
>>etc
>>should cause the failure on save I don't know, especially since it
>>started happening literally overnight with no changes to the project
>>or anything else.
>>

>I'm not sure either, however, declaring "Public" variables in a Form
>(the same as in a VB Class) creates Public Properties adding them to
>the Form's public or default interface.
>
>[If you intended for these variables to be 'global' only for the Form,
>then you should declare them Private.]
>
>Just 36 extra methods shouldn't be a problem (unless you already have
>declared a couple of hundred methods in the Form).
>
>There may have been some unintended naming or type collision with
>another Form attribute or method. Can't think of anything at the
>moment that might cause a problem - normally when this happens you get
>a syntax error or a problem compiling - not when merely saving. (Might
>be something else going on. Not too sure what you meant by "saving
>while running", etc.)
>
>Simply removing an offending item then putting it back often 'fixes' a
>problem when the VBIDE is confused.
>
>If you have the time it would be interesting to put the variables back
>and see if you have the same problem, then remove each variable until
>you isolate the troublemaker.
>
>-ralph

Thanks for the reply.

I have stripped out any code that is not used for the project at
present, and VB still crashes when saving on run - I have the project
properties set so as to ask if I want to save any code changes when I
run the program.
When the program starts it lists all the sub-folders in a folder in
list box 1.
Clicking on a folder name then sets a string which is used as a folder
name passed to list box 2. List box 2 then displays the folders or
filenames in this new folder.
Clicking on a folder name then sets a string which is used as a folder
name passed to list box 3. List box 3 then displays the folders or
filenames in this new folder.
This is all that the program does at present.

remove fred before emailing
Registered Linux User 490858

DaveO

> When the program starts it lists all the sub-folders in a folder in
> list box 1.
> Clicking on a folder name then sets a string which is used as a folder
> name passed to list box 2. List box 2 then displays the folders or
> filenames in this new folder.
> Clicking on a folder name then sets a string which is used as a folder
> name passed to list box 3. List box 3 then displays the folders or
> filenames in this new folder.
> This is all that the program does at present.

Seems a lot of effort to reproduce what a TreeView control can do easier,
neater and far more intuitively.

DaveO.

scbs29

On Thu, 20 Oct 2011 10:36:37 +0100, "DaveO" <djo@dial.pipex.com>
wrote:

>"scbs29" <scbs29@fred.talktalk.net> wrote in message
>> When the program starts it lists all the sub-folders in a folder in
>> list box 1.
>> Clicking on a folder name then sets a string which is used as a folder
>> name passed to list box 2. List box 2 then displays the folders or
>> filenames in this new folder.
>> Clicking on a folder name then sets a string which is used as a folder
>> name passed to list box 3. List box 3 then displays the folders or
>> filenames in this new folder.
>> This is all that the program does at present.
>
>Seems a lot of effort to reproduce what a TreeView control can do easier,
>neater and far more intuitively.
>
>DaveO.

Thanks for the advice. I have never used a TreeView control so I did
not think of that.

Perhaps if I explain what I am trying to do.
My wife makes greeting cards and has many images which she can use. I
have written VB6 programs to take these images and display them, allow
selecting, passing the file to an external image editor, etc. However,
she has one set of thousands of images which I want to use my program
for viewing etc. She is computer illiterate, so needs consistency in
the programs she uses to access the images. Until now, I have coded
the image file names into my program, which is ok for when the
filenames have some consistency, so that I can set up the names easily
in some kind of loop. The images which I want to add have no
consistency at all regarding filenames, and each name would have to be
coded, which you can imagine would be quite a bit of work.

Eventually I want to point the program at the root folder for these
images, and the program will then automatically iterate through this
folder and any sub-folders until it eventually reaches the image
files. These files, folders etc will then be automatically entered
into a database of some kind for access by my program.

Can this be done using a treeview control ?
I will try it out and see what I can do, but would be grateful for any
advice.
If not, I will try writing my program again and see if I can get past
the saving problem.

On Sat, 22 Oct 2011 11:02:13 +0100, scbs29 <scbs29@fred.talktalk.net>
wrote:

>On Thu, 20 Oct 2011 10:36:37 +0100, "DaveO" <djo@dial.pipex.com>
>wrote:
>

>>"scbs29" <scbs29@fred.talktalk.net> wrote in message
>>> When the program starts it lists all the sub-folders in a folder in
>>> list box 1.
>>> Clicking on a folder name then sets a string which is used as a folder
>>> name passed to list box 2. List box 2 then displays the folders or
>>> filenames in this new folder.
>>> Clicking on a folder name then sets a string which is used as a folder
>>> name passed to list box 3. List box 3 then displays the folders or
>>> filenames in this new folder.
>>> This is all that the program does at present.
>>
>>Seems a lot of effort to reproduce what a TreeView control can do easier,
>>neater and far more intuitively.
>>
>>DaveO.
>>

>Thanks for the advice. I have never used a TreeView control so I did
>not think of that.
>
>Perhaps if I explain what I am trying to do.
>My wife makes greeting cards and has many images which she can use. I
>have written VB6 programs to take these images and display them, allow
>selecting, passing the file to an external image editor, etc. However,
>she has one set of thousands of images which I want to use my program
>for viewing etc. She is computer illiterate, so needs consistency in
>the programs she uses to access the images. Until now, I have coded
>the image file names into my program, which is ok for when the
>filenames have some consistency, so that I can set up the names easily
>in some kind of loop. The images which I want to add have no
>consistency at all regarding filenames, and each name would have to be
>coded, which you can imagine would be quite a bit of work.
>
>Eventually I want to point the program at the root folder for these
>images, and the program will then automatically iterate through this
>folder and any sub-folders until it eventually reaches the image
>files. These files, folders etc will then be automatically entered
>into a database of some kind for access by my program.
>
>Can this be done using a treeview control ?
>I will try it out and see what I can do, but would be grateful for any
>advice.
>If not, I will try writing my program again and see if I can get past
>the saving problem.
>
>remove fred before emailing
>Registered Linux User 490858

I have had a look at the treeview control, and while it would seem to
be ok if I wanted to show the folder tree, as far as I can see if I
set the root node to the root folder of the files, my program would
still have to iterate through the sub-folders to add them as nodes.
The control would then show the folder hierarchy as a tree view.
Please correct me if I am wrong.
I think that I did not express myself clearly. The folders listed in
my list boxes are purely a temporary measure for me to see the
operation of the program and make sure that the correct folders/files
are picked up. These listboxes would not be present in the final
program. The program would do all picking up of folders and files and
inserting them into a database without the user seeing any of this.

On Thu, 20 Oct 2011 10:00:56 +0100, scbs29 <scbs29@fred.talktalk.net>
wrote:

>On Tue, 18 Oct 2011 09:05:28 -0500, ralph <nt_consulting64@yahoo.net>
>wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 18 Oct 2011 13:01:28 +0100, scbs29 <scbs29@fred.talktalk.net>
>>wrote:
>>
>>>The project is a 'nearly new' one and consists of a form and a module.
>>>The module has 5 procedures and the form has a command button and 4
>>>list boxes.
>>>After looking at the replies, I checked the code and the only thing
>>>that I thought was not necessary was a list of 36 public variables in
>>>the module. I deleted them and suddenly the project will save.
>>>Admittedly I have only tried this a couple of times, but so far it
>>>seems ok.
>>>Why a list of 36 variables of the form
>>>Public strFred as string
>>>etc
>>>should cause the failure on save I don't know, especially since it
>>>started happening literally overnight with no changes to the project
snip
>filenames in this new folder.
>This is all that the program does at present.
>

>remove fred before emailing
>Registered Linux User 490858

I am afraid that VB seems irretrievably broken.
I started a new program, it contained 1 form, no controls, no code.
If I tried to save on run VB crashed, if I tried to view the form in
the IDE VB crashed.
I think I will try uninstalling and reinstalling VB.

On Mon, 17 Oct 2011 10:25:16 +0100, scbs29 <scbs29@fred.talktalk.net>
wrote:

>Hello all
>VB6 has suddenly started crashing on saving a project after editing
>the code. One day the saving worked ok, and the next day, with no
>changes made to the pc, the crashing started.
>I have the options set to always ask if changes are to be saved when
>the program is run within the IDE.
>If I create a new project and then save when running it is ok, but if
>I edit the code in an existing project and save when running then I
>get a message that Visual Basic has encountered a problem and needs to
>close etc.
>
>Information about the error gives
>AppName vb6.exe AppVer 6.0.97.82 ModName vb6.exe
>ModVer 6.0.97.82 Offset 000afa89
>
>And a file named something like e21a_appcompat.txt is created.
>
>Has anyone any idea what may be causing the problem ?
>TIA
>
>remove fred before emailing
>Registered Linux User 490858

Follow up from my previous postings

Within the last hour I have suddenly started getting VBScript error
messages on the desktop.

Script Error
Line 80
Position 17