microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion

Error message: Resource with identifier "VERSION" not found

Tony Toews

10/7/2011 3:36:00 AM

Folks

A client is getting the above message intermittently when they are
running my VB6 executable from the server from Windows 7 client PCs.
They do not get this message with a Win XP SP3 client. This message
is also intermittent.

Doing some searching shows that folks were getting this message about
10 years ago when the VB6 exe was on a Novell Netware server. And
it is happening with the app.major and app.minor properties. And
that appears to be where it is failing in my program.

Any ideas? I'm thinking it's some wierd kind of permissions problem.

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
Tony's Main MS Access pages - http://www.granite.ab.ca/ac...

Dee Earley

On 07/10/2011 04:36, Tony Toews wrote:
> Folks
>
> A client is getting the above message intermittently when they are
> running my VB6 executable from the server from Windows 7 client PCs.
> They do not get this message with a Win XP SP3 client. This message
> is also intermittent.
>
> Doing some searching shows that folks were getting this message about
> 10 years ago when the VB6 exe was on a Novell Netware server. And
> it is happening with the app.major and app.minor properties. And
> that appears to be where it is failing in my program.
>
> Any ideas? I'm thinking it's some wierd kind of permissions problem.

Essentially it's unable to reload the executable off disk/network for
some reason, either the share has timed out/disconnected, or there are
network problems.
You can cache the details (as they hit the version structure in the
executable each time) but you may hit paging errors somewhere else.

I also had it on an old VB(4?) app I wrote in some bizarre build
problem. If a specific type of control was on a form, it got this error
in an unrelated part of the code...

--
Dee Earley (dee.earley@icode.co.uk)
i-Catcher Development Team

iCode Systems

Please reply to the group.)

Tony Toews

On Fri, 07 Oct 2011 09:22:23 +0100, Deanna Earley
<dee.earley@icode.co.uk> wrote:

>> Any ideas? I'm thinking it's some wierd kind of permissions problem.
>
>Essentially it's unable to reload the executable off disk/network for
>some reason, either the share has timed out/disconnected, or there are
>network problems.

That's what I was thinking.

>You can cache the details (as they hit the version structure in the
>executable each time) but you may hit paging errors somewhere else.

Indeed I do cache those. It's part of the very first code I run on
startup in my Global Values routine.

Tony