microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion

INTERNET_OPTION_RECEIVE_TIMEOUT

Jimekus

9/30/2011 12:58:00 AM

Due to failing eyesight, several years ago, I wrote Sub
HtmlExpandEx( using WSAPI_OpenURL(URL) and then my own
ReduceHTMLtoMainText( to put the EffectiveText( of several sites each
day onto a TTS reader.

I have monitored these sites when they alter their html coding and
have been able to keep up with their changes, until this morning when
I am unable to get today's articles from http://www.counter...
whereas http://www.intrepidr... is ok.

I only get "The page cannot be found
The page you are looking for might have been removed, had its name
changed, or is temporarily unavailable."

Maybe they think I am an indexing robot and somehow blocking my
program. My VB6 program keeps getting this timeout error, even though
my normal browser doesn't. It isn't the user-agent which I used
because this latest fails too.

' User agent constant.
Public Const scUserAgent As String = "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:
6.0) Gecko/20110814 Firefox/6.0"

My code is currently synchronous, so if I try to rewrite using
InternetReadFileEx to make my internet calls asynchronous,
would this help or just make matters worse?

Can anyone help me? I need to listen to my daily fix of Black American
Politics.
6 Answers

Jimekus

On Sep 30, 1:58 pm, Jimekus <jime...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Due to failing eyesight, several years ago, I wrote Sub
> HtmlExpandEx( using WSAPI_OpenURL(URL) and then my own
> ReduceHTMLtoMainText( to put the EffectiveText( of several sites each
> day onto a TTS reader.
>
> I have monitored these sites when they alter their html coding and
> have been able to keep up with their changes, until this morning when
> I am unable to get today's articles fromhttp://www.counter...
> whereashttp://www.intrepidrep... ok.
>
> I only get "The page cannot be found
> The page you are looking for might have been removed, had its name
> changed, or is temporarily unavailable."
>
> Maybe they think I am an indexing robot and somehow blocking my
> program. My VB6 program keeps getting this timeout error, even though
> my normal browser doesn't. It isn't the user-agent which I used
> because this latest fails too.
>
> ' User agent constant.
> Public Const scUserAgent As String = "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:
> 6.0) Gecko/20110814 Firefox/6.0"
>
> My code is currently synchronous, so if I try to rewrite using
> InternetReadFileEx to make my internet calls asynchronous,
> would this help or just make matters worse?
>
> Can anyone help me? I need to listen to my daily fix of Black American
> Politics.

My apologies for presenting such a weird problem. It turns out that
last night I was trying to get an old Hipi-1100 unix wifi phone
working and load some java onto it.

In my confusion trying to get a WAP gateway working, I altered IIS6 to
act as a wap server. Somehow this activation of these asp.dll scripts
prevented VB6 from receiving selected html pages.

Jimekus

On Sep 30, 1:58 pm, Jimekus <jime...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Due to failing eyesight, several years ago, I wrote Sub
> HtmlExpandEx( using WSAPI_OpenURL(URL) and then my own
> ReduceHTMLtoMainText( to put the EffectiveText( of several sites each
> day onto a TTS reader.
>
> I have monitored these sites when they alter their html coding and
> have been able to keep up with their changes, until this morning when
> I am unable to get today's articles fromhttp://www.counter...
> whereashttp://www.intrepidrep... ok.
>
> I only get "The page cannot be found
> The page you are looking for might have been removed, had its name
> changed, or is temporarily unavailable."
>
> Maybe they think I am an indexing robot and somehow blocking my
> program. My VB6 program keeps getting this timeout error, even though
> my normal browser doesn't. It isn't the user-agent which I used
> because this latest fails too.
>
> ' User agent constant.
> Public Const scUserAgent As String = "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:
> 6.0) Gecko/20110814 Firefox/6.0"
>
> My code is currently synchronous, so if I try to rewrite using
> InternetReadFileEx to make my internet calls asynchronous,
> would this help or just make matters worse?
>
> Can anyone help me? I need to listen to my daily fix of Black American
> Politics.

My apologies for presenting such a weird problem. It turns out that
last night I was trying to get an old Hipi-1100 unix wifi phone
working and load some java onto it.

In my confusion trying to get a WAP gateway working, I altered IIS6 to
act as a wap server. Somehow this activation of these asp.dll scripts
prevented VB6 from receiving selected html pages.

Abhishek

tried a different user string?

Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 5.1)

"Jimekus" <jimekus@gmail.com> wrote in message
| Due to failing eyesight, several years ago, I wrote Sub
| HtmlExpandEx( using WSAPI_OpenURL(URL) and then my own
| ReduceHTMLtoMainText( to put the EffectiveText( of several sites each
| day onto a TTS reader.
|
| I have monitored these sites when they alter their html coding and
| have been able to keep up with their changes, until this morning when
| I am unable to get today's articles from http://www.counter...
| whereas http://www.intrepidr... is ok.
|
| I only get "The page cannot be found
| The page you are looking for might have been removed, had its name
| changed, or is temporarily unavailable."
|
| Maybe they think I am an indexing robot and somehow blocking my
| program. My VB6 program keeps getting this timeout error, even though
| my normal browser doesn't. It isn't the user-agent which I used
| because this latest fails too.
|
| ' User agent constant.
| Public Const scUserAgent As String = "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:
| 6.0) Gecko/20110814 Firefox/6.0"
|
| My code is currently synchronous, so if I try to rewrite using
| InternetReadFileEx to make my internet calls asynchronous,
| would this help or just make matters worse?
|
| Can anyone help me? I need to listen to my daily fix of Black American
| Politics.

Jimekus

On Oct 1, 12:03 pm, "Abhishek" <abhishek0...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> tried a different user string?
>
> Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 5.1)

I used your string and added back the .wml .wmls.wmlsc .wmlscript .wsc
mappings into IIS6 and it seems to work, though I will have to wait
until next week for more fresh articles. This is because my system
skips what it has already put onto the TTS reader.

My question now is, given that your user agent string has fixed the
problem, just what the heck is going on here and why did IIS6 with a
WAP site hijack my VB6 code?

It's only of academic interest, because I still can't get a java
download into the old Hipi phone. It loads files, but won't record it
and says "Data form not supported!" Back in 2007 I could at least get
stuff into the phone, using IIS5. The NowWap gateway may no longer
work with IIS6.

Abhishek

may be it recognizes your string as unknown browser.