Mike Williams

9/25/2011 10:57:00 PM

I have Visual Basic Enterprise installed but the installation does not
include editbin.exe, which is something I would like to use so that I can
play about with the LargeAddressAware stuff. Does anyone know where I can
obtain a copy of editbin.exe, or if perhaps there is some other utility or
method of making a compiled VB6 exe Large Address Aware?

Mike

3 Answers

Mike Scirocco

On 9/25/2011 3:57 PM, Mike Williams wrote:
> I have Visual Basic Enterprise installed but the installation does not
> include editbin.exe, which is something I would like to use so that I
> can play about with the LargeAddressAware stuff. Does anyone know where
> I can obtain a copy of editbin.exe, or if perhaps there is some other
> utility or method of making a compiled VB6 exe Large Address Aware?
>
> Mike

Did you notice this discussion?

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.ph...

STEP2 Download editbin.exe, a part of a program called masm32

a) Go to http://www.masm32.com/...
b) Download from the link under United States Version 9.0
c) Unzip and install it in a directory. Lets say C:
d) You're not gonna be using the whole program, just a part of it that
modifies the ProToolsLE.exe file, so go to C:\masm32 and open the folder
called 'bin'
e) You should see a program called editbin.exe there.

http://www.masm32.com/...

Mike

Mike Williams

"Mike S" <mscir@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> On 9/25/2011 3:57 PM, Mike Williams wrote:
>> I have Visual Basic Enterprise installed but the installation does
>> not include editbin.exe, which is something I would like to use
>> so that I can play about with the LargeAddressAware stuff ...
>
> Did you notice this discussion?
> http://duc.avid.com/showthread.ph...

Thanks Mike. I searched for ages before I posted but clearly I did not
search for long enough (or perhaps not intelligently enough!). The snag now
of course is that after initially allowing myself to become sidetracked into
looking for editbin.exe I am now at risk of being also sidetracked into
masm32 itself! If I do then I think I'll dig out my old Commodore C64 and my
Oric1 first and brush up on the 8 bit stuff. I recall writing a 6502
Assembler in BASIC back then, just for my own use, and writing machine code
programs was all quite straightforward. I have an idea it will be a little
bit different now ;-)

Mike

ralph

On Mon, 26 Sep 2011 09:22:48 +0100, "Mike Williams"
<Mike@WhiskyAndCoke.com> wrote:

>"Mike S" <mscir@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> On 9/25/2011 3:57 PM, Mike Williams wrote:
>>> I have Visual Basic Enterprise installed but the installation does
>>> not include editbin.exe, which is something I would like to use
>>> so that I can play about with the LargeAddressAware stuff ...
>>
>> Did you notice this discussion?
>> http://duc.avid.com/showthread.ph...
>
>Thanks Mike. I searched for ages before I posted but clearly I did not
>search for long enough (or perhaps not intelligently enough!). The snag now
>of course is that after initially allowing myself to become sidetracked into
>looking for editbin.exe I am now at risk of being also sidetracked into
>masm32 itself! If I do then I think I'll dig out my old Commodore C64 and my
>Oric1 first and brush up on the 8 bit stuff. I recall writing a 6502
>Assembler in BASIC back then, just for my own use, and writing machine code
>programs was all quite straightforward. I have an idea it will be a little
>bit different now ;-)

Free
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/vcblog/archive/2006/06/08/6...
But also availble at other sites.
http://webster.cs.ucr.edu/AsmT...

Skip the 8-bit stuff. Outside of the basics, eg. "this is an
instruction", "this is an address", ... there is little to be gained
from revisiting the Commodore.

-ralph