microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion

Accessing properties of a UserControl object

Leo

9/22/2011 9:49:00 AM

How do I access the properties of a UserControl from classes or forms within
a UserControl project? I want to get access to the parent, but I might want
access to other properties or methods.

1 Answer

Dee Earley

On 22/09/2011 10:49, Leo wrote:
> How do I access the properties of a UserControl from classes or forms
> within a UserControl project? I want to get access to the parent, but I
> might want access to other properties or methods.

You pass a reference to the control to the form when you open it.

In the UC:
Sub ShowForm()
Set ThisForm = New Form1
ThisForm.Load Me
End Sub

In the Form:
Dim ParentUC As UserControlType

Public Sub Load(ByVal Parent As UserControlType)
Set ParentUC = Parent
End Sub

Be very careful if you also want to keep a reference to the form in the
user control as this can cause circular references which causes no end
of problems.

--
Dee Earley (dee.earley@icode.co.uk)
i-Catcher Development Team