BeeJ

9/14/2011 11:15:00 PM

Does/can a manifest elevate an app to get past the UAC like IE on Win
7?
How do I do that? e.g. maybe offer the user the option.
Or how do I set up Win 7 to install (tell the user) so UAC is not
involked even when UAC is set to one of its on levels?

13 Answers

Abhishek

If you want your app to run always with admin rights then include a manifest
file with UAC information. but in most cases, apps work fine by making
little changes in UAC mode. you can make many changes like instead of
writing to app.path use temp folder and save settings in AppData folder.

A application cant be elevated at runtime, you have to exclude the part of
your app and make it as separate exe and call it with elevation prompt.

Setup are always opened with admin rights so you dont have to worry about
that.

"BeeJ" <nospam@spamnot.com> wrote in message
| Does/can a manifest elevate an app to get past the UAC like IE on Win
| 7?
| How do I do that? e.g. maybe offer the user the option.
| Or how do I set up Win 7 to install (tell the user) so UAC is not
| involked even when UAC is set to one of its on levels?

Dee Earley

On 15/09/2011 00:15, BeeJ wrote:
> Does/can a manifest elevate an app to get past the UAC like IE on Win 7?
> How do I do that? e.g. maybe offer the user the option.
> Or how do I set up Win 7 to install (tell the user) so UAC is not
> involked even when UAC is set to one of its on levels?

"get past the UAC like IE"?
What do you think IE does?

If you want your app to be always elevated, it needs to run as a service.
If you want it to run in the desktop, you need the "asAdmin" manifest
which (depending on the user's configuration) gives the UAC prompt.
If just bits need to run as admin access, you can either shell out to
another executable, or use COM elevation:
http://hashvb.earlsoft.co.uk/Windows_UAC_and_Elevation#COM...
(Note that this still create the prompt but only when needed)

If your app could just start running as admin any time without
permission, it defeats the entire purpose of UAC and the prompt in the
first place.

--
Dee Earley (dee.earley@icode.co.uk)
i-Catcher Development Team

iCode Systems

Please reply to the group.)

MikeD

"BeeJ" <nospam@spamnot.com> wrote in message
> Does/can a manifest elevate an app to get past the UAC like IE on Win 7?
> How do I do that? e.g. maybe offer the user the option.
> Or how do I set up Win 7 to install (tell the user) so UAC is not involked
> even when UAC is set to one of its on levels?

You can't. Think about it for a minute. UAC would be pretty worthless if
any app could bypass or circumvent it. If apps had been written "properly"
to begin with UAC would have never been necessary. What you need to do is
write your app so that it plays nice with UAC. The best thing to do is write
them so that they won't trigger any UAC prompts. It's NOT that hard to do.

--
Mike

BeeJ

MikeD submitted this idea :

> "BeeJ" <nospam@spamnot.com> wrote in message
>> Does/can a manifest elevate an app to get past the UAC like IE on Win 7?
>> How do I do that? e.g. maybe offer the user the option.
>> Or how do I set up Win 7 to install (tell the user) so UAC is not involked
>> even when UAC is set to one of its on levels?
>>

> You can't. Think about it for a minute. UAC would be pretty worthless if any
> app could bypass or circumvent it. If apps had been written "properly" to
> begin with UAC would have never been necessary. What you need to do is write
> your app so that it plays nice with UAC. The best thing to do is write them
> so that they won't trigger any UAC prompts. It's NOT that hard to do.

If IE can start up with no UAC popup, then why can't Opera?
It is only the startup that is the problem.
I make Opera the default browser and click on links from eMails and get
UAC popups.
And I did not write Opera.
My VB6 code plays nice so there is no issue there.

BeeJ

Abhishek submitted this idea :
> If you want your app to run always with admin rights then include a manifest
> file with UAC information. but in most cases, apps work fine by making
> little changes in UAC mode. you can make many changes like instead of
> writing to app.path use temp folder and save settings in AppData folder.
>
> A application cant be elevated at runtime, you have to exclude the part of
> your app and make it as separate exe and call it with elevation prompt.
>
> Setup are always opened with admin rights so you dont have to worry about
> that.
>

> "BeeJ" <nospam@spamnot.com> wrote in message
>> Does/can a manifest elevate an app to get past the UAC like IE on Win
>> 7?
>> How do I do that? e.g. maybe offer the user the option.
>> Or how do I set up Win 7 to install (tell the user) so UAC is not
>> involked even when UAC is set to one of its on levels?

So where do I find this information that needs to be added to the
manifiest for UAC?

Mayayana

| If IE can start up with no UAC popup, then why can't Opera?
| It is only the startup that is the problem.
| I make Opera the default browser and click on links from eMails and get
| UAC popups.
| And I did not write Opera.
| My VB6 code plays nice so there is no issue there.

This should be an obvious question, but why don't
you just disable UAC? You're a programmer. You know
a lot about how Windows works. Presumably you're
not downloading cracked hit movies from a site in
Russia. You're not a child. So why do you lock up Windows
like a house with child protection -- a padlock on every
draw and cabinet -- and then go to a newsgroup to
ask how to open those locks?

I don't understand why people who know better put
up with this stuff... Just because it's the default
setting? If you know enough not to delete system
files, and you're not doing highly risky online activity,
there's no reason to lock yourself out of your own house,
so to speak. It will help reduce the chance of thieves
breaking in, but at the cost of preventing you getting in!

If you're really paranoid about malware attacks there's
a much better solution: Use 2 browsers, neither of which
is IE. Use one with script disabled, no Java, no Flash, for
normal use. Enable script in the other for any site where
you absolutely must use script. ...And don't download music
or videos of dubious legality or content. Those steps will
eliminate 99% of malware risks.

BeeJ

It happens that Mayayana formulated :
>> If IE can start up with no UAC popup, then why can't Opera?
>> It is only the startup that is the problem.
>> I make Opera the default browser and click on links from eMails and get
>> UAC popups.
>> And I did not write Opera.
>> My VB6 code plays nice so there is no issue there.
>>

> This should be an obvious question, but why don't
> you just disable UAC? You're a programmer. You know
> a lot about how Windows works. Presumably you're
> not downloading cracked hit movies from a site in
> Russia. You're not a child. So why do you lock up Windows
> like a house with child protection -- a padlock on every
> draw and cabinet -- and then go to a newsgroup to
> ask how to open those locks?
>
> I don't understand why people who know better put
> up with this stuff... Just because it's the default
> setting? If you know enough not to delete system
> files, and you're not doing highly risky online activity,
> there's no reason to lock yourself out of your own house,
> so to speak. It will help reduce the chance of thieves
> breaking in, but at the cost of preventing you getting in!
>
> If you're really paranoid about malware attacks there's
> a much better solution: Use 2 browsers, neither of which
> is IE. Use one with script disabled, no Java, no Flash, for
> normal use. Enable script in the other for any site where
> you absolutely must use script. ...And don't download music
> or videos of dubious legality or content. Those steps will
> eliminate 99% of malware risks.

Yes, but this is not just for me. I was hoping to get enlightened so
I could pass along to others around me who are paranoid. Also my apps
are safe and it a user wanted to forgo UAC I could tell them how to do
that for my VB6 app.
I have been using Vista for years without UAC on and had zero problems
but there are others who still think the MS is the ultimate authority.

Dee Earley

On 15/09/2011 14:23, BeeJ wrote:
> MikeD submitted this idea :
>>
>> "BeeJ" <nospam@spamnot.com> wrote in message
>>> Does/can a manifest elevate an app to get past the UAC like IE on Win 7?
>>> How do I do that? e.g. maybe offer the user the option.
>>> Or how do I set up Win 7 to install (tell the user) so UAC is not
>>> involked even when UAC is set to one of its on levels?
>>>

>> You can't. Think about it for a minute. UAC would be pretty worthless
>> if any app could bypass or circumvent it. If apps had been written
>> "properly" to begin with UAC would have never been necessary. What you
>> need to do is write your app so that it plays nice with UAC. The best
>> thing to do is write them so that they won't trigger any UAC prompts.
>> It's NOT that hard to do.
>
> If IE can start up with no UAC popup, then why can't Opera?
> It is only the startup that is the problem.
> I make Opera the default browser and click on links from eMails and get
> UAC popups.
> And I did not write Opera.

Erm, neither should need elevation so a better question is "why is Opera
trying to run as an admin". This is nothing to do with VB or IE.
I expect someone has gone into compatibility settings and told it to run
as admin though.

--

On 15/09/2011 14:47, Mayayana wrote:
> | If IE can start up with no UAC popup, then why can't Opera?
> | It is only the startup that is the problem.
> | I make Opera the default browser and click on links from eMails and get
> | UAC popups.
> | And I did not write Opera.
> | My VB6 code plays nice so there is no issue there.
>
> This should be an obvious question, but why don't you just disable
> UAC? You're a programmer.

As a programmer, and I haven't disabled UAC, partly because I need to
test/develop stuff against it, and secondly, I see no reason to disable it.
The time it effects me is when compiling AX DLLs for which I just do
"Run as admin" when I compile.

--

> MikeD submitted this idea :
>>
>> "BeeJ" <nospam@spamnot.com> wrote in message
>>> Does/can a manifest elevate an app to get past the UAC like IE on Win 7?
>>> How do I do that? e.g. maybe offer the user the option.
>>> Or how do I set up Win 7 to install (tell the user) so UAC is not
>>> involked even when UAC is set to one of its on levels?
>>>

>> You can't. Think about it for a minute. UAC would be pretty worthless if
>> any app could bypass or circumvent it. If apps had been written
>> "properly" to begin with UAC would have never been necessary. What you
>> need to do is write your app so that it plays nice with UAC. The best
>> thing to do is write them so that they won't trigger any UAC prompts.
>> It's NOT that hard to do.
>
> If IE can start up with no UAC popup, then why can't Opera?

Ask the people who wrote Opera! Either they're the morons who didn't write
it with UAC in mind, or, as was suggested, Opera is configured to run as
administrator.

> It is only the startup that is the problem.
> I make Opera the default browser and click on links from eMails and get
> UAC popups.
> And I did not write Opera.

> My VB6 code plays nice so there is no issue there.

So what the hell are you asking here for if you're not even talking about VB
or even programming?

--
Mike