microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion

I gave up attempting to install VB6 on XP

(Mike Mitchell)

9/14/2011 9:33:00 AM

I only wanted to do a test installation! I've wasted an hour faffing
about. First drive D disappeared, then drive F. Then the Setup
constantly tells me Visual Basic is running already. Then it starts
searching for components...and hangs. The Setup is a PoS.

MM
18 Answers

olde.sault

On Jul 19, 12:29 am, "Dr Sir John Howard, AC, WSCMoF"
<Trollene.the.liar.has.had.more.kook.outs.than.ive.had.hot.dinn...@kangarooistan.com.au>
wrote:
> Oy Rool Out a Carbon Tax wrote:
>
> > On 18/07/2011 3:40 PM, Dr Sir John Howard, AC, WSCMoF wrote:
> >> What's Juliar Dullard's bra size?
>
> > 44SS
>
> > SS = Super Sag
>
> So no amount of support will help her?

Certainly not the carbon tax!

OS

> --http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_...
>   - KRudd at his finest.
>
> "The Labour Party is corrupt beyond redemption!"
>   - Labour hasbeen Mark Latham in a moment of honest clarity.
>
> "This is the recession we had to have!"
>   - Paul Keating explaining why he gave Australia another Labour recession.
>
> "Silly old bugger!"
>   - Well known ACTU pisspot and sometime Labour prime minister Bob Hawke
> responding to a pensioner who dared ask for more.
>
> "By 1990, no child will live in poverty"
>   - Bob Hawke again, desperate to win another election.
>
> "A billion trees ..."
>   - Borke, pissed as a newt again.
>
> "Well may we say 'God save the Queen' because nothing will save the governor
> general!"
>   - Egotistical shithead and pompous fuckwit E.G. Whitlam whining about his
> appointee for Governor General John Kerr.
>
> "SHUT THE FUCK UP YOU DUMB CUNT!"
>   - FlangesBum on learning the truth about Labour's economic capabilities.
>
> "I don't care what you fuckers think!"
>   - KRudd the KRude Rat at his finest again.
>
> "We'll just change it all when we get in."
>   - Garrett the carrott
>
> "There will be no carbon tax."
>   - Juliar Dullard

Dr Sir John Howard, AC, WSCMoF

olde.sault wrote:
> On Jul 19, 12:29 am, "Dr Sir John Howard, AC, WSCMoF"
> <Trollene.the.liar.has.had.more.kook.outs.than.ive.had.hot.dinn...@kangarooistan.com.au>
> wrote:
>> Oy Rool Out a Carbon Tax wrote:

>>> 44SS
>>
>>> SS = Super Sag
>>
>> So no amount of support will help her?
>
> Certainly not the carbon tax!

Perhaps if she learnt to keep her mouth shut and stopped breathing completely.

--
[...]

Abhishek

VB6 works perfectly on XP, using it since XP Came out.

uninstall that trash called MS Java,
http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/System-Miscellaneous/MSJVM-Removal-...

then try these steps.
http://vb6zone.blogspot.com/2010/08/installing-vb6-on-windows-vi...

"MM" <kylix_is@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
|I only wanted to do a test installation! I've wasted an hour faffing
| about. First drive D disappeared, then drive F. Then the Setup
| constantly tells me Visual Basic is running already. Then it starts
| searching for components...and hangs. The Setup is a PoS.
|
| MM

David Kaye

"Abhishek" <abhishek007p@hotmail.com> wrote

> VB6 works perfectly on XP, using it since XP Came out.

I develop with VB6 on both XP and Vista and it works fine for me, too.

(Mike Mitchell)

On Wed, 14 Sep 2011 15:14:40 +0530, "Abhishek"
<abhishek007p@hotmail.com> wrote:

>VB6 works perfectly on XP, using it since XP Came out.
>

>uninstall that trash called MS Java,
>http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/System-Miscellaneous/MSJVM-Removal-...
>

>then try these steps.
>http://vb6zone.blogspot.com/2010/08/installing-vb6-on-windows-vi...

I also found the msjava.dll tip elsewhere and got past the hurdle of
being forced to install that MS Java machine.

The setup then proceeded all the way through until I was prompted to
reboot. I let Setup reboot, but when Windows came back up there was
the previous error, namely Setup couldn't find D:\setupwiz.ini.

However, I clicked OK to allow Windows XP to load the rest of its
files and get to the Desktop, then I inspected My Computer and, sure
enough, Drive D (CD-ROM) has disappeared.

However, Visual Basic 6 does appear to have installed okay this time.
I could start it and configure Options as I normally do.

Finally, I switched the PC off, then on again and this time Drive D
was back.

I have no idea why the CD drive disappears. Never happened before.
Only with this Setup.

Later I may attempt to install the Service Pack 6b (which should be
cumulative), though God knows what I might encounter! If this succeeds
I will just make a (True) image of the drive and keep it on DVD in
case I ever need it.

MM

Abhishek

copy the files to local disk and install from there. the problem is actually
your CD drive and not VB6 setup.

| On Wed, 14 Sep 2011 15:14:40 +0530, "Abhishek"
| <abhishek007p@hotmail.com> wrote:
|
| >VB6 works perfectly on XP, using it since XP Came out.
| >

| >uninstall that trash called MS Java,
|
>http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/System-Miscellaneous/MSJVM-Removal-...
| >

| >then try these steps.
|
>http://vb6zone.blogspot.com/2010/08/installing-vb6-on-windows-vi...
|
| I also found the msjava.dll tip elsewhere and got past the hurdle of
| being forced to install that MS Java machine.
|
| The setup then proceeded all the way through until I was prompted to
| reboot. I let Setup reboot, but when Windows came back up there was
| the previous error, namely Setup couldn't find D:\setupwiz.ini.
|
| However, I clicked OK to allow Windows XP to load the rest of its
| files and get to the Desktop, then I inspected My Computer and, sure
| enough, Drive D (CD-ROM) has disappeared.
|
| However, Visual Basic 6 does appear to have installed okay this time.
| I could start it and configure Options as I normally do.
|
| Finally, I switched the PC off, then on again and this time Drive D
| was back.
|
| I have no idea why the CD drive disappears. Never happened before.
| Only with this Setup.
|
| Later I may attempt to install the Service Pack 6b (which should be
| cumulative), though God knows what I might encounter! If this succeeds
| I will just make a (True) image of the drive and keep it on DVD in
| case I ever need it.
|
| MM

(Mike Mitchell)

On Wed, 14 Sep 2011 18:20:39 +0530, "Abhishek"
<abhishek007p@hotmail.com> wrote:

>copy the files to local disk and install from there. the problem is actually
>your CD drive and not VB6 setup.

No, it's not. I've installed hundreds of software apps/utilities from
the very same drives. In any case, *both* drives disappeared at one
point.

MM

Dee Earley

On 14/09/2011 19:00, MM wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Sep 2011 18:20:39 +0530, "Abhishek"
> <abhishek007p@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> copy the files to local disk and install from there. the problem is actually
>> your CD drive and not VB6 setup.
>
> No, it's not. I've installed hundreds of software apps/utilities from
> the very same drives. In any case, *both* drives disappeared at one
> point.

We could equally argue that many orders of magnitude more people have
installed visual studio 6 from CD...
Personally, I've done it at least 10 times on various PCS, all you need
is another 20 people like me and we've surpassed your install count.

--
Dee Earley (dee.earley@icode.co.uk)
i-Catcher Development Team

iCode Systems

Please reply to the group.)

(Mike Mitchell)

On Thu, 15 Sep 2011 09:34:10 +0100, Deanna Earley
<dee.earley@icode.co.uk> wrote:

>On 14/09/2011 19:00, MM wrote:
>> On Wed, 14 Sep 2011 18:20:39 +0530, "Abhishek"
>> <abhishek007p@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> copy the files to local disk and install from there. the problem is actually
>>> your CD drive and not VB6 setup.
>>
>> No, it's not. I've installed hundreds of software apps/utilities from
>> the very same drives. In any case, *both* drives disappeared at one
>> point.
>
>We could equally argue that many orders of magnitude more people have
>installed visual studio 6 from CD...
>Personally, I've done it at least 10 times on various PCS, all you need
>is another 20 people like me and we've surpassed your install count.

Look, you can say my DVD/CD drives are faulty until the cows come home
for all I care. They are not. The ONLY time this happened is yesterday
when I started the Visual Studio 6 setup and went through the various
stages. The drive(s) disappeared as soon as the machine rebooted after
the MS Java malarkey was installed, which, until I discovered the
trick of creating a dummy msjava.dll file, you had to complete in
order for the Next button to be enabled.

I do everything possible with the drives, reading, writing, for five
years now, never a problem. Until yesterday. And you say my drives are
faulty!

Setup obviously installed something that screwed the drives, first
one, and then the other. Then I uninstalled the Java crap, rebooted
and the drives came back!

MM

BeeJ

MM pretended :
> I only wanted to do a test installation! I've wasted an hour faffing
> about. First drive D disappeared, then drive F. Then the Setup
> constantly tells me Visual Basic is running already. Then it starts
> searching for components...and hangs. The Setup is a PoS.
>
> MM

My CD disappears also. I am running Win7 and it hides drives all the
time. THere is an option somehwere for that. BTW did you install any
software lately that can hide or show drives. Does TweakNow do stuff
like that? Or TweakUI?