Tony Toews

9/14/2011 3:01:00 AM

Folks

Any recommendations for C++ books for me who has never worked with
C++?

C++ for Dummies as a starter?
http://www.dummies.com/store/product/C-For-Dummies-6th-Edition.productCd-04703...

Tony

--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
Tony's Main MS Access pages - http://www.granite.ab.ca/ac...

ralph

On Tue, 13 Sep 2011 21:00:50 -0600, Tony Toews
<ttoews@telusplanet.net> wrote:

>Folks
>
>Any recommendations for C++ books for me who has never worked with
>C++?
>
>C++ for Dummies as a starter?
>http://www.dummies.com/store/product/C-For-Dummies-6th-Edition.productCd-04703...

Definitely OT. You know where you should be asking this question. <bg>

That book is OK. In fact just about any popular Beginners book will do
the job. You can learn the basics of C/C++ in a week or two, after
that your beginner book will be a throw-away. For that reason you
might want to consider a Free online book. (Through it is likely
you'll end up purchasing one or both for the additional resources.
<g>)
"Thinking in C++ 2nd Edition by Bruce Eckel"
http://www.mindview.net/Books/TICPP/ThinkingIn...

However, one book isn't going to get it done. Make space on a shelf
for a library.

You'll need O'Reily's ...
"Practical C++ Programming, Second Edition"

Then Scott Meyer's 'Effective C++' books are a must.
"Effective C++: 55 Specific Ways to Improve Your Programs and Designs"
and
"More Effective C++: 35 New Ways to Improve Your Programs and Designs"
(Note: It isn't the 90 'ways' that is the value of these books - it is
the concepts behind the ways that will provide enlightment.)

Eventually the bible ...
The C++ Programming Language by Bjarne Stroustrup

(As well as a STL reference, a couple of OO/OOPL books, and ... it
goes on. <g>)

-ralph

(nobody)

"Tony Toews" <ttoews@telusplanet.net> wrote in message
> Folks
>
> Any recommendations for C++ books for me who has never worked with
> C++?
>
> C++ for Dummies as a starter?

No! Not the Dummies book. They kind of try to cover every subject as quickly
as possible so they can say they covered everything. I am not sure what book
to recommend as I learned it from help files. Here are links to get you
started that I even use sometimes:

http://www.lea...
http://www.cplu...doc...
Main page:
http://www.cplu...

Tony Toews

On Wed, 14 Sep 2011 03:20:36 -0500, ralph <nt_consulting64@yahoo.net>
wrote:

>>Any recommendations for C++ books for me who has never worked with
>>C++?
>>
>>C++ for Dummies as a starter?
>>http://www.dummies.com/store/product/C-For-Dummies-6th-Edition.productCd-04703...
>>

>Definitely OT. You know where you should be asking this question. <bg>

Let me rephrase my query then. Any recommendations for C++ books for
someone who is highly experienced in VBA and reasonably experienced in
VB6? <smile>

<snip>

Thanks for the suggestions.

>(As well as a STL reference, a couple of OO/OOPL books, and ... it
>goes on. <g>)

OO is a problem for me. I've never truly understood OO.

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
Tony's Main MS Access pages - http://www.granite.ab.ca/ac...
Tony's Microsoft Access Blog - http://msmvps.com/blo...
updated see http://www.autofeup...

Thorsten Albers

Tony Toews <ttoews@telusplanet.net> schrieb im Beitrag
<371277lcfl69jpccm5v0uol27ljbo656m7@4ax.com>...
> OO is a problem for me. I've never truly understood OO.

If you have coded with VB you have used 'OO'. The difference is that 'OO'
in C++ is a bit more 'evolved' then in VB.

--
Thorsten Albers

gudea at gmx.de

Tony Toews

On Wed, 14 Sep 2011 21:50:38 +0000 (UTC), "Thorsten Albers"
<gudea@gmx.de> wrote:

>> OO is a problem for me. I've never truly understood OO.
>
>If you have coded with VB you have used 'OO'. The difference is that 'OO'
>in C++ is a bit more 'evolved' then in VB.

Oh, I know I've used. But I don't *understand* it. It's one of
those conceptual things for me.

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
Tony's Main MS Access pages - http://www.granite.ab.ca/ac...
Tony's Microsoft Access Blog - http://msmvps.com/blo...
updated see http://www.autofeup...

ralph

On Wed, 14 Sep 2011 18:59:14 -0600, Tony Toews
<ttoews@telusplanet.net> wrote:

>On Wed, 14 Sep 2011 21:50:38 +0000 (UTC), "Thorsten Albers"
><gudea@gmx.de> wrote:
>
>>> OO is a problem for me. I've never truly understood OO.
>>
>>If you have coded with VB you have used 'OO'. The difference is that 'OO'
>>in C++ is a bit more 'evolved' then in VB.
>
>Oh, I know I've used. But I don't *understand* it. It's one of
>those conceptual things for me.

Then let me suggest a side trip with ...
"Design Patterns Explained: A New Perspective on Object-Oriented
Design", Shalloway and Trott.

There are beefier books (and you will buy a few before you're through)
but for an excellent short quide to that "I got it!" moment it is hard
to beat.

-ralph

(Mike Mitchell)

wrote:

>On Tue, 13 Sep 2011 21:00:50 -0600, Tony Toews
><ttoews@telusplanet.net> wrote:
>
>>Folks
>>
>>Any recommendations for C++ books for me who has never worked with
>>C++?
>>
>>C++ for Dummies as a starter?
>>http://www.dummies.com/store/product/C-For-Dummies-6th-Edition.productCd-04703...
>>

>Definitely OT. You know where you should be asking this question. <bg>
>
>That book is OK. In fact just about any popular Beginners book will do
>the job. You can learn the basics of C/C++ in a week or two, after
>that your beginner book will be a throw-away. For that reason you
>might want to consider a Free online book. (Through it is likely
>you'll end up purchasing one or both for the additional resources.
><g>)
>"Thinking in C++ 2nd Edition by Bruce Eckel"
>http://www.mindview.net/Books/TICPP/ThinkingIn...
>
>However, one book isn't going to get it done. Make space on a shelf
>for a library.
>
>You'll need O'Reily's ...
>"Practical C++ Programming, Second Edition"
>
>Then Scott Meyer's 'Effective C++' books are a must.
>"Effective C++: 55 Specific Ways to Improve Your Programs and Designs"
>and
>"More Effective C++: 35 New Ways to Improve Your Programs and Designs"
>(Note: It isn't the 90 'ways' that is the value of these books - it is
>the concepts behind the ways that will provide enlightment.)
>
>Eventually the bible ...
>The C++ Programming Language by Bjarne Stroustrup
>
>(As well as a STL reference, a couple of OO/OOPL books, and ... it
>goes on. <g>)
>
>-ralph

Alternatively, forget about C++ and buy rabbits. There's money in
rabbits. They're the new chicken. Chock full of goodness, lean, tasty.
What's not to like? My gran used to send my uncle Richard out with a
shotgun to bag a couple of hares for supper. It was a big family.

MM

(Mike Mitchell)

On Wed, 14 Sep 2011 13:49:43 -0600, Tony Toews
<ttoews@telusplanet.net> wrote:

>OO is a problem for me. I've never truly understood OO.

OOP is very easy to understand. It's about making something obscure,
arcane, complex and convoluted that could otherwise have been simple,
straightforward and comprehensible. Just the Let Property/Get Property
stuff starts the ball rolling for me. The ball of frustration, that
is. But I expect young, new programmers today think those from the
QuickBASIC era are, like, stone-age, man! And yet I can take A LOT of
code directly from QuickBASIC and have it running in VB6 in a trice.

For OOP decriers there are hundreds of quotes that illustrate the
frustration:

"I'm not a fan of object orientation for the sake of object
orientation. Often the proper OO way of doing things ends up being a
productivity tax. Sure, objects are the backbone of any modern
programming language, but sometimes I can't help feeling that slavish
adherence to objects is making my life a lot more difficult. I've
always found inheritance hierarchies to be brittle and unstable, and
then there's the massive object-relational divide to contend with. OO
seems to bring at least as many problems to the table as it solves."

or

"Object-oriented programming generates a lot of what looks like work.
Back in the days of fanfold, there was a type of programmer who would
only put five or ten lines of code on a page, preceded by twenty lines
of elaborately formatted comments. Object-oriented programming is like
crack for these people: it lets you incorporate all this scaffolding
right into your source code."

or

"What I sometimes see when I interview people and review code is
symptoms of a disease I call Object Happiness. Object Happy people
feel the need to apply principles of OO design to small, trivial,
throwaway projects. They invest lots of unnecessary time making pure
virtual abstract base classes -- writing programs where IFoos talk to
IBars but there is only one implementation of each interface!"

http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/2007/03/your-code-oop-o...

That page has loads more good examples.

MM

(Mike Mitchell)

On Wed, 14 Sep 2011 20:30:54 -0500, ralph <nt_consulting64@yahoo.net>
wrote:

>On Wed, 14 Sep 2011 18:59:14 -0600, Tony Toews
><ttoews@telusplanet.net> wrote:

>>>If you have coded with VB you have used 'OO'. The difference is that 'OO'
>>>in C++ is a bit more 'evolved' then in VB.
>>
>>Oh, I know I've used. But I don't *understand* it. It's one of
>>those conceptual things for me.
>>

>Then let me suggest a side trip with ...
>"Design Patterns Explained: A New Perspective on Object-Oriented
>Design", Shalloway and Trott.
>
>There are beefier books (and you will buy a few before you're through)
>but for an excellent short quide to that "I got it!" moment it is hard
>to beat.

I've read books about OOP. I still loathe it. Always have, always
will. Okay, I USE it! It's now unavoidable, like seat belts. But I'll
never LOVE it.

MM

Tony Toews

On Thu, 15 Sep 2011 06:43:12 +0100, MM <kylix_is@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

>>OO is a problem for me. I've never truly understood OO.
>
>OOP is very easy to understand. It's about making something obscure,
>arcane, complex and convoluted that could otherwise have been simple,
>straightforward and comprehensible. Just the Let Property/Get Property
>stuff starts the ball rolling for me. The ball of frustration, that
>is. But I expect young, new programmers today think those from the
>QuickBASIC era are, like, stone-age, man! And yet I can take A LOT of
>code directly from QuickBASIC and have it running in VB6 in a trice.

Thanks muchly. I'm still chuckling.

My paid programming predates QuickBasic I had a summer job in 1979 or
so programming Basic on an IBM 5110 with 32 Kb of RAM and 2 8"
floppies. Variable names that were a single letter or a single letter
with a digit. And yet, among other things, I helped build a payroll
system for a Canadian public utility with 700 salaried employees.

My previous programming to that was in WATFIV (student version of
Fortran), with a little PL/C (student version of PL/1) and Assembler
at a local college while I was in high school.

So I'm very much a procedural kind of person.

Tony