microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion

OT Sort Of Related To Scripting

BeeJ

9/11/2011 11:18:00 PM

If I install VB6 on Win XP does it install scripting capability?
An unrelated app properly installs on this Win XP machine using
scripts.

This unrelated app will not install on a different PC running Win 7;
with no VB6 install.

Am I looking for Windows Scripting Host for Win 7 or what?

I did try the Windows 7 newsgroup but no one there knows what I am
talking about.

11 Answers

Mayayana

"BeeJ" <nospam@spamnot.com> wrote in message
| If I install VB6 on Win XP does it install scripting capability?
| An unrelated app properly installs on this Win XP machine using
| scripts.
|
| This unrelated app will not install on a different PC running Win 7;
| with no VB6 install.
|
| Am I looking for Windows Scripting Host for Win 7 or what?

Windows Script Host has been installed on Windows since
about 2000. You don't need to install it. But Win7 restrictions
may affect some things. Are you just guessing that VB6 is
connected, or do you know that Win7 with VB6 works?

You didn't provide enough details to even guess what the
problem might be. You didn't even explain what error prevents
the install. The problem program uses WSH for its installer?
That's asking for trouble.

There's a group for VBS:
microsoft.public.scripting.vbscript

There's also
microsoft.public.scripting.wsh
but I don't think that gets traffic anymore.

BeeJ

When I double click either a .vbs or .wsf nothing happens, no messages.

Mayayana

| When I double click either a .vbs or .wsf nothing happens, no messages.

Does the .vbs have the green scroll icon? That would
indicate that it's handled by wscript.exe, as it should be.
In Vista/7 there are various problems. One is that you
probably need to run elevated via right-click -> RunAs
for most tasks. (Another is that HTAs don't have such
an option.) Another is that since VBS has been used for
malware -- and VBS is mainly used only by system admins
-- many AV programs are set to *assume* any .VBS
running must be malware. Unfortunately, it's become
fashionable with both Windows and AV software *not*
to tell you when things are blocked due to restrictions!

If .vbs files were not properly assigned you'd see a generic
icon and a "What do you want to open this with?" window.
If there was a problem with WScript you'd see a message
about that missing or some such. If it just does nothing then
it's probably a restrictions issue. The functions are probably
just being blocked.

You might try a simple script, with UAC turned down,
run by right-click -> Run As Administrator, to see if that's the
problem. Example:

MsgBox "ok"

Just type that in Notepad and save as .VBS. Showing a
msgbox with admin rights *should* work, but I don't have
much experience with that problem. (I do a lot of scripting,
which is one of the myriad reasons that I avoid Vista/7,
and I haven't used AV for years.)

Dee Earley

On 12/09/2011 00:18, BeeJ wrote:
> If I install VB6 on Win XP does it install scripting capability?
> An unrelated app properly installs on this Win XP machine using scripts.
>
> This unrelated app will not install on a different PC running Win 7;
> with no VB6 install.
>
> Am I looking for Windows Scripting Host for Win 7 or what?
>
> I did try the Windows 7 newsgroup but no one there knows what I am
> talking about.

Scripting (VBScript and JavaScript outside the browser) are provided by
the Windows Scripting Host which is completely unrelated to the VB6
runtimes.

Note that WSH can be disabled or removed from any version of Windows so
if the app relies on it, it should check for it.

--
Dee Earley (dee.earley@icode.co.uk)
i-Catcher Development Team

iCode Systems

Please reply to the group.)

Thorsten Albers

Deanna Earley <dee.earley@icode.co.uk> schrieb im Beitrag
<j4khmq$b0j$2@speranza.aioe.org>...
> Note that WSH can be disabled or removed from any version of Windows so
> if the app relies on it, it should check for it.

In addition @BeeJ:
And remember that the WSH doesn't provide anything which can't be coded
with just VB and the Windows API.

--
Thorsten Albers

gudea at gmx.de

BeeJ

Mayayana explained :
>> When I double click either a .vbs or .wsf nothing happens, no messages.
>>

> Does the .vbs have the green scroll icon?
Yes

> That would
> indicate that it's handled by wscript.exe, as it should be.

It is Microsoft Windows Based Script Host

Open gives "Permission Denied" 800A0045
Microsoft VBScript runtime error

I do not see an elevation, like Run as Admin etc.

I looked at permissions and set "Everyone" to all permissions.

> You might try a simple script, with UAC turned down,
> run by right-click -> Run As Administrator, to see if that's the
> problem. Example:
>
> MsgBox "ok"

That works. So maybe there is something in the .wsf file that is the
problem.

I will look at the .wsf file text.

Mayayana

| I do not see an elevation, like Run as Admin etc.

It turns out I was mistaken about that. somehow I
thought I remembered such an option for .VBS. There's
an explanation here of a workaround:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/heyscriptingguy/archive/2006/04/28/how-can-i-use-the-runas-command-to-run-a-script-under-alternate-user-creden...

It's an article by "The Scripting Guys". Their writing
is tedious, long-winded and full of stupid, unnecessary
jokes, but this is the best link I found. Note that they
talk about using a command line with cscript.exe. That's
not necessary. CScript.exe is for running scripts in
console mode. WScript.exe is for running them normally.
In any case, the gist of it seems to be that RunAs is
a utility that gives you a chance to "elevate", but it only
works with EXEs. So you have to call wscript.exe with the
script path as parameter.

I wonder if all this nonsense is necessary, though. Can't
you just log on as admin and turn off UAC in order to
run the install?

Dee Earley

On 13/09/2011 01:38, BeeJ wrote:
> It is Microsoft Windows Based Script Host
>
> Open gives "Permission Denied" 800A0045
> Microsoft VBScript runtime error

So it's a script error rather then an installation error.
What is this script doing? and what does it think it needs admin access for?

--
Dee Earley (dee.earley@icode.co.uk)
i-Catcher Development Team
http://www.icode.co.uk...

iCode Systems

Please reply to the group.)

Mayayana

| So it's a script error rather then an installation error.
| What is this script doing? and what does it think it needs admin access
for?

Also, WSH errors give line numbers. I'm beginning
to wonder why BeeJ is only leaking out the problem
one hint at a time.

BeeJ

Mayayana expressed precisely :
>> So it's a script error rather then an installation error.
>> What is this script doing? and what does it think it needs admin access
>> for?
>>

> Also, WSH errors give line numbers. I'm beginning
> to wonder why BeeJ is only leaking out the problem
> one hint at a time.

No, there is no line number associated with an message.
Otherwise I wold have talked about the line giving difficulty.
This is a huge script to install applications from my company for home
use so I really can not share it. They are of no help.
I looked through the script and don't see anythong really strange.
It installed perfectly on a Vista PC (32bit).
It looks like the problem may be that the new PC is an AMD 64bit.
It installes a different .DDL for AMD 64bit systems but then the script
error has no line number for failure so I am not sure if that could
really be the problem. May have to wait for the application provider
to rewrite the script.