BeeJ

9/11/2011 3:39:00 PM

My new Win 7 64 Pro (AMD Quad 3.2G / 8G) system is not agreeing with
MesNews. Or is it visa-versa? Gave up on Vista. Had two C: HDs die
from over indexing that I could not turn off. This new system does not
seem to mess with the C: drive much. Maybe something else but time for
a change anyway.
I have tried all the settings (as Admin, as WinXP sys) but MesNews
locks up when I try to create a new post. Have to use Process Explorer
to kill it where it shows MesNews using 35% of the CPU..

So, I download Windows Live Mail 2011 and so far the Newsgroup
capability and WLM seems to work fine with News.Eternal-September.org
and News.AIOE.org.

How about Dialog? Multiple Servers? Thunderbird allow multiple
servers?

Any thoughts?

17 Answers

Norm

BeeJ wrote on 9/11/2011 :
> My new Win 7 64 Pro (AMD Quad 3.2G / 8G) system is not agreeing with MesNews.
> Or is it visa-versa? Gave up on Vista. Had two C: HDs die from over
> indexing that I could not turn off. This new system does not seem to mess
> with the C: drive much. Maybe something else but time for a change anyway.
> I have tried all the settings (as Admin, as WinXP sys) but MesNews locks up
> when I try to create a new post. Have to use Process Explorer to kill it
> where it shows MesNews using 35% of the CPU..
>
> So, I download Windows Live Mail 2011 and so far the Newsgroup capability and
> WLM seems to work fine with News.Eternal-September.org and News.AIOE.org.
>
> How about Dialog? Multiple Servers? Thunderbird allow multiple servers?
>
> Any thoughts?

Hi,

I have Win7 64 bit and MesNews works just fine, so I doubt that it is
the OS. I don't even have it running as administrator or in any
compatibility mode.

Norm

BeeJ

on 9/11/2011, Norm Fowler supposed :
> BeeJ wrote on 9/11/2011 :
>> My new Win 7 64 Pro (AMD Quad 3.2G / 8G) system is not agreeing with
>> MesNews. Or is it visa-versa? Gave up on Vista. Had two C: HDs die from
>> over indexing that I could not turn off. This new system does not seem to
>> mess with the C: drive much. Maybe something else but time for a change
>> anyway.
>> I have tried all the settings (as Admin, as WinXP sys) but MesNews locks up
>> when I try to create a new post. Have to use Process Explorer to kill it
>> where it shows MesNews using 35% of the CPU..
>>
>> So, I download Windows Live Mail 2011 and so far the Newsgroup capability
>> and WLM seems to work fine with News.Eternal-September.org and
>> News.AIOE.org.
>>
>> How about Dialog? Multiple Servers? Thunderbird allow multiple servers?
>>
>> Any thoughts?
>
> Hi,
>
> I have Win7 64 bit and MesNews works just fine, so I doubt that it is the OS.
> I don't even have it running as administrator or in any compatibility mode.
>
> Norm

Maybe you have an older version? Mine is the latest download.
Maybe AMD vs Intel processor, find this hard to belive?

Norm

BeeJ laid this down on his screen :
> on 9/11/2011, Norm Fowler supposed :
>> BeeJ wrote on 9/11/2011 :
>>> My new Win 7 64 Pro (AMD Quad 3.2G / 8G) system is not agreeing with
>>> MesNews. Or is it visa-versa? Gave up on Vista. Had two C: HDs die from
>>> over indexing that I could not turn off. This new system does not seem to
>>> mess with the C: drive much. Maybe something else but time for a change
>>> anyway.
>>> I have tried all the settings (as Admin, as WinXP sys) but MesNews locks
>>> up when I try to create a new post. Have to use Process Explorer to kill
>>> it where it shows MesNews using 35% of the CPU..
>>>
>>> So, I download Windows Live Mail 2011 and so far the Newsgroup capability
>>> and WLM seems to work fine with News.Eternal-September.org and
>>> News.AIOE.org.
>>>
>>> How about Dialog? Multiple Servers? Thunderbird allow multiple servers?
>>>
>>> Any thoughts?
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have Win7 64 bit and MesNews works just fine, so I doubt that it is the
>> OS. I don't even have it running as administrator or in any compatibility
>> mode.
>>
>> Norm
>
> Maybe you have an older version? Mine is the latest download.
> Maybe AMD vs Intel processor, find this hard to belive?

Version 1.08.03.00, Intel Core i7 920.

David Kaye

"BeeJ" <nospam@spamnot.com> wrote

> Gave up on Vista. Had two C: HDs die from over indexing that I could not
> turn off.

You couldn't turn off Indexing in Vista? Funny, I do it all the time for my
customers. Also, it seems odd that you'd have not one but two HDs break
down on you. I suspect there may be another problem such as repeated
jarring of the machine or overheating.

Dee Earley

On 11/09/2011 16:38, BeeJ wrote:
> My new Win 7 64 Pro (AMD Quad 3.2G / 8G) system is not agreeing with
> MesNews. Or is it visa-versa? Gave up on Vista. Had two C: HDs die from
> over indexing that I could not turn off. This new system does not seem
> to mess with the C: drive much. Maybe something else but time for a
> change anyway.
> I have tried all the settings (as Admin, as WinXP sys) but MesNews locks
> up when I try to create a new post. Have to use Process Explorer to kill
> it where it shows MesNews using 35% of the CPU..
>
> So, I download Windows Live Mail 2011 and so far the Newsgroup
> capability and WLM seems to work fine with News.Eternal-September.org
> and News.AIOE.org.
>
> How about Dialog? Multiple Servers?

Not used it.

> Thunderbird allow multiple servers?

Yep.
I had 3 setup at one point, just 2 now though (only 1 usenet).

--
Dee Earley (dee.earley@icode.co.uk)
i-Catcher Development Team

iCode Systems

Please reply to the group.)

BeeJ

David Kaye formulated the question :
> "BeeJ" <nospam@spamnot.com> wrote
>
>> Gave up on Vista. Had two C: HDs die from over indexing that I could not
>> turn off.
>
> You couldn't turn off Indexing in Vista? Funny, I do it all the time for my
> customers. Also, it seems odd that you'd have not one but two HDs break down
> on you. I suspect there may be another problem such as repeated jarring of
> the machine or overheating.

Thanks for your reply.
I did tell Vista to stop indexing but it would not.
I used Process Explorer and Process monitor to try to find out what was
doing all the drive access but I could not figure it out. No way an
expert at looking at those.
The C: drive has a fan direcly on it and the chassis has four fans.
Ambient is typically in the 70s F.
The new PC (new install on a blank HD) show little activity an I have
not touched any indexing setting.
Possible some other app was doing it but I could not determine.

(nobody)

"BeeJ" <nospam@spamnot.com> wrote in message
> David Kaye formulated the question :
>> "BeeJ" <nospam@spamnot.com> wrote
>>
>>> Gave up on Vista. Had two C: HDs die from over indexing that I could
>>> not turn off.
>>
>> You couldn't turn off Indexing in Vista? Funny, I do it all the time for
>> my customers. Also, it seems odd that you'd have not one but two HDs
>> break down on you. I suspect there may be another problem such as
>> repeated jarring of the machine or overheating.
>
> Thanks for your reply.
> I did tell Vista to stop indexing but it would not.
> I used Process Explorer and Process monitor to try to find out what was
> doing all the drive access but I could not figure it out. No way an
> expert at looking at those.
> The C: drive has a fan direcly on it and the chassis has four fans.
> Ambient is typically in the 70s F.
> The new PC (new install on a blank HD) show little activity an I have not
> touched any indexing setting.
> Possible some other app was doing it but I could not determine.

First, whatever newsreader you are using, please keep using it. It's great
to see you quoting posts so we know which one you are responding to.

Regarding hard drives, what is the brand for these hard drives? Some have
noticed that Seagate drives break easily just by dropping them from a table
height, like those external USB drives. This quote from the link below is
from a company called ACS Data Recovery:

"Seagate hard drives have one of the most fragile spindle shafts of any hard
drive we see. While other drives will damage the spindle shaft when dropped,
we have seen Seagates seize up with little or no external factors. In some
cases the spindle bearing simply locks up due to a burr or some other
damage."

http://www.squidoo.com/dropped-seagate-...

Also:

"Seagate introduced a new special coating technology in this line for the
platters intended and designed to better protect the magnetic layers on the
platter. The long term effect of this coating was that it caused more
problems than the level of protection it offered to the drive. This
protective layer tends to flake under certain environmental conditions,
causing small bits of the flaky particles to stick to the read/ write heads
which makes reading very unstable. When these particles get embedded in
substantial quantities, the disk drive will lose track positioning. This
results in failed read/write ability making user data completely
inaccessible. The symptoms of such a failure are clicking, knocking,
sweeping sounds."

http://www.salvagedata.com/hard-drive/seagate-data-recovery/usb-20-portable-external-ha...

BeeJ

Nobody presented the following explanation :
> "BeeJ" <nospam@spamnot.com> wrote in message
>> David Kaye formulated the question :
>>> "BeeJ" <nospam@spamnot.com> wrote

>>> You couldn't turn off Indexing in Vista? Funny, I do it all the time for
>>> my customers. Also, it seems odd that you'd have not one but two HDs
>>> break down on you. I suspect there may be another problem such as
>>> repeated jarring of the machine or overheating.
>>
>> Thanks for your reply.
>> I did tell Vista to stop indexing but it would not.
>> I used Process Explorer and Process monitor to try to find out what was
>> doing all the drive access but I could not figure it out. No way an expert
>> at looking at those.
>> The C: drive has a fan direcly on it and the chassis has four fans.
>> Ambient is typically in the 70s F.
>> The new PC (new install on a blank HD) show little activity an I have not
>> touched any indexing setting.
>> Possible some other app was doing it but I could not determine.
>
> First, whatever newsreader you are using, please keep using it. It's great to
> see you quoting posts so we know which one you are responding to.
>
> Regarding hard drives, what is the brand for these hard drives? Some have
> noticed that Seagate drives break easily just by dropping them from a table
> height, like those external USB drives. This quote from the link below is
> from a company called ACS Data Recovery:
>
> "Seagate hard drives have one of the most fragile spindle shafts of any hard
> drive we see. While other drives will damage the spindle shaft when dropped,
> we have seen Seagates seize up with little or no external factors. In some
> cases the spindle bearing simply locks up due to a burr or some other
> damage."
>
> http://www.squidoo.com/dropped-seagate-...
>
> Also:
>
> "Seagate introduced a new special coating technology in this line for the
> platters intended and designed to better protect the magnetic layers on the
> platter. The long term effect of this coating was that it caused more
> problems than the level of protection it offered to the drive. This
> protective layer tends to flake under certain environmental conditions,
> causing small bits of the flaky particles to stick to the read/ write heads
> which makes reading very unstable. When these particles get embedded in
> substantial quantities, the disk drive will lose track positioning. This
> results in failed read/write ability making user data completely
> inaccessible. The symptoms of such a failure are clicking, knocking, sweeping
> sounds."
>
> http://www.salvagedata.com/hard-drive/seagate-data-recovery/usb-20-portable-external-ha...

Except that the newsreader MesNews stops me some times (or is it the
server? eternal-september or aioe) with the "too many quoted lines"
error and will not send the message then puts it in a local folder then
I have to fiddle to get it to go. I cannot see how/where to modify
that.

And yes, both C: HDDs were seagate 500G.
My new HDD is a WD industrial drive with shock sensors etc.
My PC was never shocked in any way either powered on or off.
It just sat there day after day with 4 internal fans and one of those
specifically on the C: HDD.

Interesting HDD info that I have never heard before. Even at my local
Microcenter, the sales folks, who are fairly knowledgeable, do not seem
to know this and when asked for a reliable drive would include Seagate.

All I ever heard, even with the cover off the PC, was the tick-tick of
the drive doing somethiing like indexing (from day one).
When It started to fail, it took forever to boot but would finally make
it all the way with no reported errors. ChkDisk saw no errors. The
Vista OS restore from CD said the boot sector had to be restored and
said it did it but it still would not boot. Tried three times through
that very long precess. So then I gave up and replaced with a
"military" motherboard (supposed to be hi reliability), CPU AMD Quad
64bit, WD HDD and RAM for a much faster PC. Original Case, PS, fans,
other HDDs, graphics card and TV tuner all plugged in and all are
playing nicely together.
Got USB 3 with new motherboard but no USB 3 devices yet.
All this mentioned just in case you have warnings on any of the above.

This time I pressed them for a truely reliable drive and they coughed
up the WD WD5003ABYXSP with a 5 YR Warranty.
Yes, I back up multiple places. Now that the new PC is up and stable,
I am starting the restoring.
Just more fun. lol

BeeJ

Norm Fowler submitted this idea :
> BeeJ laid this down on his screen :
>> on 9/11/2011, Norm Fowler supposed :

>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I have Win7 64 bit and MesNews works just fine, so I doubt that it is the
>>> OS. I don't even have it running as administrator or in any compatibility
>>> mode.
>>>
>>> Norm
>>
>> Maybe you have an older version? Mine is the latest download.
>> Maybe AMD vs Intel processor, find this hard to belive?
>
> Version 1.08.03.00, Intel Core i7 920.

Same version. AMD Quad, 3.2G, X4 840

Reinstalled and still locks up.
I also installed the spell checker. Did you?
Found it was set to the wrong language and fixed that but still locks
up.

Running save version with spell check on my laptop with no problems.

> Except that the newsreader MesNews stops me some times (or is it the
> server? eternal-september or aioe) with the "too many quoted lines" error
> and will not send the message then puts it in a local folder then I have
> to fiddle to get it to go. I cannot see how/where to modify that.

Here is another news server to try: