jonescpa

8/29/2011 5:46:00 PM

Any Help From the Masters Appreciated.

I have a client that uses a software called Roughneck. It appears to
be a FoxPro back-end as all the files are *.dbf.

I tried to open the files using ODBC from Microsoft Access using the
dBASE ODBC, but it returns "File Not in Expected Format." I tried
using the other dbase Machine driver but it returns, "...Cannot use
ODBC to import...ISAM Table to Database."

I did see that Microsoft does have a foxpro oledb dll that can be used
with VB code to setup a connection through code. However, I just
couldn't figure it out, though I know my way around a recordset.

1) Does anyone have VB or VBA code where they have accessed a FoxPro
database?
2) Has anyone been able to import a foxpro datatable into Access?

As Always, much appreciated.
DJ
6 Answers

jonescpa

Here's something I did just find. Not my ultimate solution, but
progress.

a) I went to Excel (2007), and choose the data menu.

b) Then I went to the Data Connection Wizard.

c) On "What kind of data source?", I choose "Other/Advance", which
gave me the opportunity to select the MS Visual FoxPro

d) From there I browsed to "Select or enter a database name" looking
for the directory the dbf file were located.
However, I checked "Free Table Directory" instead of "Visual
FoxPro Database"

e) From there, I just choose the dbf I wanted.

Not the ultimate answer, but it does give me some back-end access.

(nobody)

"Beancounter" <jonescpa@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Any Help From the Masters Appreciated.
>
> I have a client that uses a software called Roughneck. It appears to
> be a FoxPro back-end as all the files are *.dbf.
>
> I tried to open the files using ODBC from Microsoft Access using the
> dBASE ODBC, but it returns "File Not in Expected Format." I tried
> using the other dbase Machine driver but it returns, "...Cannot use
> ODBC to import...ISAM Table to Database."
>
> I did see that Microsoft does have a foxpro oledb dll that can be used
> with VB code to setup a connection through code. However, I just
> couldn't figure it out, though I know my way around a recordset.
>
> 1) Does anyone have VB or VBA code where they have accessed a FoxPro
> database?
> 2) Has anyone been able to import a foxpro datatable into Access?

See this article:

HOW TO: Use Jet OLE DB Provider 4.0 to Connect to ISAM Databases
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en...

(nobody)

See also(took 10 seconds):

How To Use Visual FoxPro Tables in Visual Basic
http://support.microsoft.com/k...

How To Open a Visual FoxPro Table for Read-Write
http://support.microsoft.com...

ralph

On Mon, 29 Aug 2011 11:28:05 -0700 (PDT), Beancounter
<jonescpa@gmail.com> wrote:

>Here's something I did just find. Not my ultimate solution, but
>progress.
>
>a) I went to Excel (2007), and choose the data menu.
>
>b) Then I went to the Data Connection Wizard.
>
>c) On "What kind of data source?", I choose "Other/Advance", which
>gave me the opportunity to select the MS Visual FoxPro
>
>d) From there I browsed to "Select or enter a database name" looking
>for the directory the dbf file were located.
> However, I checked "Free Table Directory" instead of "Visual
>FoxPro Database"
>
>e) From there, I just choose the dbf I wanted.
>
>Not the ultimate answer, but it does give me some back-end access.

Also consider that all "xBase" data files have a well-known format,
consisting of fixed-length records and a header describing the
records. FoxPro-ness comes more from datatypes supported, indexing,
etc. than any fundalmental difference in format.

While there are numerous providers and data access libraries available
to 'read' the multiple xBase formats - In a pinch one can always write
their own 'reader'.

-ralph

jonescpa

Thank you much!

On Aug 29, 1:35 pm, "Nobody" <nob...@nobody.com> wrote:
> "Beancounter" <jones...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> > Any Help From the Masters Appreciated.
>
> > I have a client that uses a software called Roughneck.  It appears to
> > be a FoxPro back-end as all the files are *.dbf.
>
> > I tried to open the files using ODBC from Microsoft Access using the
> > dBASE ODBC, but it returns "File Not in Expected Format."  I tried
> > using the other dbase Machine driver but it returns, "...Cannot use
> > ODBC to import...ISAM Table to Database."
>
> > I did see that Microsoft does have a foxpro oledb dll that can be used
> > with VB code to setup a connection through code.  However, I just
> > couldn't figure it out, though I know my way around a recordset.
>
> > 1)  Does anyone have VB or VBA code where they have accessed a FoxPro
> > database?
> > 2)  Has anyone been able to import a foxpro datatable into Access?
>
> See this article:
>
> HOW TO: Use Jet OLE DB Provider 4.0 to Connect to ISAM Databaseshttp://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en...

mikeb

"ralph" <nt_consulting64@yahoo.net> wrote in message
> On Mon, 29 Aug 2011 11:28:05 -0700 (PDT), Beancounter
> <jonescpa@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Here's something I did just find. Not my ultimate solution, but
>>progress.
>>
>>a) I went to Excel (2007), and choose the data menu.
>>
>>b) Then I went to the Data Connection Wizard.
>>
>>c) On "What kind of data source?", I choose "Other/Advance", which
>>gave me the opportunity to select the MS Visual FoxPro
>>
>>d) From there I browsed to "Select or enter a database name" looking
>>for the directory the dbf file were located.
>> However, I checked "Free Table Directory" instead of "Visual
>>FoxPro Database"
>>
>>e) From there, I just choose the dbf I wanted.
>>
>>Not the ultimate answer, but it does give me some back-end access.
>
> Also consider that all "xBase" data files have a well-known format,
> consisting of fixed-length records and a header describing the
> records. FoxPro-ness comes more from datatypes supported, indexing,
> etc. than any fundalmental difference in format.
>
> While there are numerous providers and data access libraries available
> to 'read' the multiple xBase formats - In a pinch one can always write
> their own 'reader'.

Ralph,
I wrote a little c program in the 80's, that after you decipered the
header length, removed the header and put a crlf at the endpoint of each
record length (derived from the header info) turning the output file into a
fixed length field ascii file which was digestable by the dbms (RBASE) that
I used (still use).

Of course it won't work with dbt files.