microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion

VBCD: Did anyone successfully install it on XP?

(Mike Mitchell)

8/17/2011 1:08:00 PM

I've tried with the June 2000 CD and the November 2000 CD, the last
one I received.

The June 2000 CD barfs during installation and the resultant vbcd.exe
complains about a pdf.ocx.

The November version does install, but then constantly prompts me to
"browse for folder" containing the VBCD, then keeps repeating the
prompt no matter how many times I click on drive D where the CD-ROM is
mounted.

I can look at the files directly on the CD, but I'd rather go through
the UI.

MM
7 Answers

Thorsten Albers

MM <kylix_is@yahoo.co.uk> schrieb im Beitrag
<70fn47t0p0cavsiejo7gi48ml1ac3ooetg@4ax.com>...
> I've tried with the June 2000 CD and the November 2000 CD, the last
> one I received.

What is "VBCD"?

--
Thorsten Albers

gudea at gmx.de

(Mike Mitchell)

On Wed, 17 Aug 2011 15:41:16 +0000 (UTC), "Thorsten Albers"
<gudea@gmx.de> wrote:

>MM <kylix_is@yahoo.co.uk> schrieb im Beitrag
><70fn47t0p0cavsiejo7gi48ml1ac3ooetg@4ax.com>...
>> I've tried with the June 2000 CD and the November 2000 CD, the last
>> one I received.
>
>What is "VBCD"?

The CD-ROM that was distributed monthly with Visual Basic Programmer's
Journal from about 1997 to about 2000. It allowed searches of all
previous articles, with code on the CD.

Stop Press: I do have it running now on Windows 2000. What I had to do
was uninstall Adobe Reader 7, remove the pdf.ocx, then run the VBCD
Setup in Repair mode.

However, what I'm going to try to do is make a manifest for it to run
it on XP in reg-free mode off a USB stick. Then I can specify the
version of the pdf.ocx it requires (it doesn't like the version that
comes with Adobe reader 7).

MM

Karl E. Peterson

It happens that MM formulated :
> However, what I'm going to try to do is make a manifest for it to run
> it on XP in reg-free mode off a USB stick. Then I can specify the
> version of the pdf.ocx it requires (it doesn't like the version that
> comes with Adobe reader 7).

If you get that all going, ping my email. I might have some more info
you'd appreciate. Depends how bored you are. ;-)

--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfre...

(Mike Mitchell)

On Wed, 17 Aug 2011 14:04:46 -0700, Karl E. Peterson <karl@exmvps.org>
wrote:

>It happens that MM formulated :
>> However, what I'm going to try to do is make a manifest for it to run
>> it on XP in reg-free mode off a USB stick. Then I can specify the
>> version of the pdf.ocx it requires (it doesn't like the version that
>> comes with Adobe reader 7).
>
>If you get that all going, ping my email. I might have some more info
>you'd appreciate. Depends how bored you are. ;-)

I dug out the (vast number of) CDs to investigate threading, but once
one starts browsing, one can't stop. Also, I have more time nowadays!
;)

MM

(Mike Mitchell)

On Thu, 18 Aug 2011 05:53:32 +0100, MM <kylix_is@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

>On Wed, 17 Aug 2011 14:04:46 -0700, Karl E. Peterson <karl@exmvps.org>
>wrote:
>
>>It happens that MM formulated :
>>> However, what I'm going to try to do is make a manifest for it to run
>>> it on XP in reg-free mode off a USB stick. Then I can specify the
>>> version of the pdf.ocx it requires (it doesn't like the version that
>>> comes with Adobe reader 7).
>>
>>If you get that all going, ping my email. I might have some more info
>>you'd appreciate. Depends how bored you are. ;-)
>
>I dug out the (vast number of) CDs to investigate threading, but once
>one starts browsing, one can't stop. Also, I have more time nowadays!
>;)
>
>MM

I've now got it working off a USB flash drive!

The following notes are in abbreviated form. A more detailed version
is available, along with various screenshots, in the file
http://www.littletyke.myzen.co.uk/how_to_install_vbcd_to_usb_flash...
which you should download first (approx 547 KB). Then see screen shot
VBCD reg-free.jpg.

Here's what I did. Preparing the manifest file was done on Windows
2000 where I have VB6 installed.

1. First, I removed Adobe Reader 7, because it doesn't seem to be
compatible with the VBCD.exe application anno Nov 2000. It doesn't
like Reader 9.0 either on XP. But it works with Reader 4 that the VBCD
installs.

2. Insert a blank USB flash drive (I had a 1GB Verbatim spare). Mine
was in drive H.

3. Then I installed the VBCD first to drive C, just to get it running
at all. This first run prompted to install Acrobat Reader 4.0, which I
did. However, I chose the flash drive as the destination path.

4. Insert the VBCD CD-ROM and copy entire contents to a new folder
H:\VBCD on the flash drive.

5. Creat a dummy VBCD.Exe in VB6. Just a single form.

6. Add Components VsFlex7L.Ocx, pdf.ocx, Microsoft MAPI Controls 6.0,
Microsoft Tabbed Dialog Control. 6.0, Microsoft Windows Common
Controls 5.0 (SP2) (VsFlex7L.Ocx is installed by the VBCD Setup if you
don't have it.)

7. Place every control from Common Controls, pdf.ocx etc on the form
(TreeView, ListView, VsFlexGrid etc etc -- see Dummy VBCD app.jpg)

8. Compile the app as VBCD.Exe and exit VB6.

9. Run Make My Manifest. I had version 7.302 on the PC, though there
is a newer version available.

10. Open VBCD.Vbp in MMM.

11. Manually add a whole bunch of files - see main .rtf file or
VBCD-Manifest.log in the ZIP file.

12. Manually add additional files - see main.rtf file or
VBCD-Manifest.log.

Settings for MMM:
Embed manifest in EXE = False
Save MMM log to disk = True
Common Controls 6.0 manifest node = False
VB 6.0 ActiveX control KB 828629 remediation = False
DPI Aware manifest node = False
Compatibility manifest node = False
TrustInfo manifest node = False
Dependency folder: Deps

13. Copy the folder VBCD-Manifest, including the Deps subfolder, to
the flash drive.

14. IMPORTANT! Overwrite the dummy VBCD.Exe with the real one from the
CD-ROM.

15. Finally, insert the flash drive in an XP machine, run AcroRd32.exe
from the Adobe Reader 4.0 folder and leave minimised, then run
VBCD.Exe from the VBCD-Manifest folder.

NB: If you don't run the Reader 4, the app defaults to the currently
installed reader on the target machine, which on mine is version 9.0,
and then all kinds of problems ensue. But by loading Reader 4 first,
the VBCD app seems satisfied and it all works brilliantly! See screen
shot VBCD reg-free.jpg.

All the above is a FIRST PASS! Therefore you may encounter problems.
Make sure you don't overwrite any important files on your main
machine. I have several machines, plus my test machine has removable
drive racks and a whole bunch of TrueImage images, so if I screw
something up, it's a matter of a few minutes to reinstate the entire
image.

Oh, and Finally, finally, once you have got it working, backup the
flash drive somewhere, because one of mine has a habit of going
unformatted at the drop of a hat!

MM

DaveO

"MM" <kylix_is@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> Oh, and Finally, finally, once you have got it working, backup the
> flash drive somewhere, because one of mine has a habit of going
> unformatted at the drop of a hat!
>
> MM

There is a correct procedure for this.
1) back up all data on stick
2) observing anti-static procedures remove casing and place on rigid
insulating surface
3) raise 2lb (909 grams) hammer 4 feet (1.3 meters) above surface
4) repeatedly strike stick with hammer - observe all safety procedures like
goggles

You will now find the stick never appears unformatted again.

DaveO.

Bob Butler

"DaveO" <djo@dial.pipex.com> wrote in message

> "MM" <kylix_is@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
>> Oh, and Finally, finally, once you have got it working, backup the
>> flash drive somewhere, because one of mine has a habit of going
>> unformatted at the drop of a hat!
>>
>> MM
>
> There is a correct procedure for this.
> 1) back up all data on stick
> 2) observing anti-static procedures remove casing and place on rigid
> insulating surface
> 3) raise 2lb (909 grams) hammer 4 feet (1.3 meters) above surface
> 4) repeatedly strike stick with hammer - observe all safety procedures
> like goggles
>
> You will now find the stick never appears unformatted again.

That's the same procedure I used on my old netgear wireless router last
night after completing a firmware upgrade that turned it into a very
expensive paperweight. Actually, I skipped steps 1 and 2.