BeeJ

8/14/2011 11:38:00 PM

VB6 + MSDN Lib Oct 2001
How do I search for?
Format$ NEAR @

e.g. trying to find examples of using @ in a Format$

Yields
---------------------------
Help
---------------------------
Help cannot search for that phrase.
---------------------------
OK
---------------------------

Is there some external app that will allow more better searches?

16 Answers

Android Cat

Psyborgue wrote:
> On Apr 2, 4:58 pm, FreeThinker <krysb...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> correct.. there is a subset of anonymous that is raging against
>> chanology. They do not like the moralfag reputation that anonymous is
>> getting along with the publicity. They are trying to bring chaos to
>> the movement. I think the solution reached (and correct me if I'm
>> wrong) is that all scientology raid boards will be removed from all
>> chans and no more talking about xenu there. In return I think
>> chanology members are distancing themselves from the chans and no
>> longer talks about them.. Though i will predict that the subset group
>> will still try to cause trouble as their lulz come from the chaos
>> they are creating.
>
> My feeling is that if that happens, Scientology will post chanology
> related stuff on the chans to try and start a backlash. Perhaps a
> pre- emptive statement by chanology/Enturbulation stating "We promise
> to keep chanology related stuff off the chans. if stuff is posted on
> the chans, it probably isn't us, but rather Scientology trying to get
> a reaction."

I doubt they want to become Scientology's private army.

--
Ron of that ilk.

Scientology is a cult

Psyborgue <psyborgue@gmail.com> wrote in news:19ed5303-6804-4afa-bcac-
d77ec4c5b6f2@c19g2000prf.googlegroups.com:

>> correct.. there is a subset of anonymous that is raging against
>> chanology. ?They do not like the moralfag reputation that anonymous is
>> getting along with the publicity. ?They are trying to bring chaos to
>> the movement. ?I think the solution reached (and correct me if I'm
>> wrong) is that all scientology raid boards will be removed from all
>> chans and no more talking about xenu there. ?In return I think
>> chanology members are distancing themselves from the chans and no
>> longer talks about them.. Though i will predict that the subset group
>> will still try to cause trouble as their lulz come from the chaos they
>> are creating.
>
> The only solution that will work is to IGNORE. /i/ THRIVES on
> reaction. If you don't react at all, things dissipate.

/i/ has the attention span of a retarded fish. They fail to see the humour
in publicly embarassing a humourless, vengeful cult. Instead, they
consider a pingflooding of Gaia Online resulting in an hour-long server
shutdown to be a huge success.

They'll make rounds on chanology. Then they'll get bored. Then they'll
move on to Habbo or Isketch or Second Life for a few weeks and get bored.
Then they'll be back. And get bored again. They're as predictible as
you'd expect from a group of 14-year-olds with Aspergers.

Gregg Hagglund

On Wed, 02 Apr 2008 07:47:41 -0800, barb <xenubarb@netscape.net>
wrote:

>Gregg Hagglund wrote:
>> On Tue, 1 Apr 2008 23:22:02 -0600 (MDT), Borked Pseudo Mailed
>> <nobody@pseudo.borked.net> wrote:
>>
>>> Epilepsy is funny Anonymous 08/03/31(Mon)10:06 ID:628ec6ba No.123465
>>>
>>> http://www.epilepsyfoundation.org/effor...
>>>
>>> Post normal, supportive posts in different threads until
>>> you have like 10, then add this to your sig:
>>> [img]http://img384.imageshack.us/img384/7943/flas...[/img]
>>>
>>> If you have some kind of moral objection to doing this, then
>>> you need to find a remedy for your troll's remorse. I suggest
>>> Jack Daniels.
>>>
>>> /i/ - Insurgency
>>
>> This is *not* from the Moral Anonymous sub group.
>> This is from the Cyber e-Hells Angels sub group.
>> You can tell the difference by their conduct.
>> One group is responsible, the other is cybertrash.
>>
>> GH SP7
>
>The very label 'Moral Anonymous' makes me cringe. I would run from that
>label with all my powerzz. Ick!
ok. How about civic minded Anons?

No matter what the title, there is a distinct difference in general,
about what conducts are indulged in and what conducts are either not
encouraged or rejected entirely.

Perhaps the three types of Anons sub groups could be called:
Angels, Jokers and Devils?
Or
The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.

GH SP7

ralph

On Sun, 14 Aug 2011 16:38:20 -0700, BeeJ <nospam@spamnot.com> wrote:

>VB6 + MSDN Lib Oct 2001
>How do I search for?
> Format$ NEAR @
>
>e.g. trying to find examples of using @ in a Format$
>
>Yields
>---------------------------
>Help
>---------------------------
>Help cannot search for that phrase.
>---------------------------
>OK
>---------------------------
>
>Is there some external app that will allow more better searches?

I'm not aware of one, examples of using any "Special Characters" are
scarce. Probably because they are so context sensitive any full
explanation would require several paragraphs about things the usual
programmer would never run across. <g>

[The Format() gives the definite impression it was less 'designed' and
more just 'grew'.]

I long ago wrote my own 'cheat sheet' and test utility.

This seems to provide a good summary (but no '@' examples).
http://apostate.com/vb-for...

-ralph

ralph

On Mon, 15 Aug 2011 08:42:20 -0500, ralph <nt_consulting64@yahoo.net>
wrote:

As a side note:

Format() is amazingly amiable to a wide variety of abuse.

In the past, a frequent contributor to this group was Rick Holder, who
was well-known for being the "King of One-Liners". Format() was often
a principle player in his creations.

You might try a search for his past postings.

-ralph

Jeff Johnson [MVP: VB]

"ralph" <nt_consulting64@yahoo.net> wrote in message

> In the past, a frequent contributor to this group was Rick Holder, who
> was well-known for being the "King of One-Liners".

Rick Rothstein

BeeJ

Format was just one example of this type of situation.

Many times I have tried to search for things and have received the same
error message.

Really looking for other methods of searching the lib.

Thanks for your offering.

ralph

On Mon, 15 Aug 2011 10:47:52 -0400, "Jeff Johnson" <i.get@enough.spam>
wrote:

>"ralph" <nt_consulting64@yahoo.net> wrote in message
>
>> In the past, a frequent contributor to this group was Rick Holder, who
>> was well-known for being the "King of One-Liners".
>
>Rick Rothstein

Thank you, thank you, for that correction.

Not sure where "Holder" came from... <g>

-ralph

GS

BeeJ wrote on 8/14/2011 :
> VB6 + MSDN Lib Oct 2001
> How do I search for?
> Format$ NEAR @
>
> e.g. trying to find examples of using @ in a Format$
>
> Yields
> ---------------------------
> Help
> ---------------------------
> Help cannot search for that phrase.
> ---------------------------
> OK
> ---------------------------
>
> Is there some external app that will allow more better searches?

The @ character is used as a wildcard for text in the format function.

Examples:
Format a 16 character string to credit card format:
sTemp = "1234567890123456"
sTemp = Format$(sTemp, "!@@@@ @@@@ @@@@ @@@@")
result: "1234 5678 9012 3456"

Format a 7 digit string as phone number:
sTemp = "1234567"
sTemp = Format$(sTemp, "!@@@-@@@@")
result: "123-4567"

Format a 10 digit string as phone number:
sTemp = "1234567890"
sTemp = Format$(sTemp, "!(@@@) @@@-@@@@")
result: "(123) 456-7890"

HTH

--
Garry

Free usenet access at http://www.eternal-sep...

ralph

On Mon, 15 Aug 2011 08:14:16 -0700, BeeJ <nospam@live.com> wrote:

>Format was just one example of this type of situation.
>
>Many times I have tried to search for things and have received the same
>error message.
>
>Really looking for other methods of searching the lib.
>
>Thanks for your offering.

Not sure there is any good, or rather a 100% reliable, 'search' engine
for the MSDN. The problem is, like Format() details, so much truly
interesting and valuable information is often buried in other topics
that, equally as often, don't appear to be related at first glance.

I seldom go to MSDN now, except for quick inline help, and instead use
a rather worn, marked up, tabbed, and tattered copy of O'Reilly's "VB
& VBA In A Nutshell: The Language" by Paul Lomax. It has everything
the MSDN has plus.

I find the printed word is still more useful.

I also use O'Reilly's "MCSD In A Nutshell: The Visual Basic Exams" by
James Foxall. Don't let the title fool you, it is a comprehensive
summary of all the VB6 technologies which are often but a passing
reference in the MSDN.

Both books are out of print and can be purchased online for
practically the cost of shipping.

-ralph