microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion

[OT] Android, iPhone account for 62% of global smartphone sales and rising

(nobody)

8/11/2011 9:20:00 PM

Excerpts:

- "Google Inc.'s Android and Apple Inc. devices now account for 62% of
smartphones sold worldwide, nearly doubling the 32% share the two had at
this time last year."

- "In North America alone, the Apple-Android combination accounted for 83.5%
of smartphone sales."

- "Microsoft Corp. has had trouble getting traction, slipping to 1.6% of
smartphones sold from 4.9% a year earlier."

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/technology/2011/08/android-iphone-account-for-two-thirds-of-quarterly-smartphone-sales-and-r...

See also Table 2 here(link from above):

http://www.gartner.com/it/page.jsp?...

I have an Android phone, and no, I didn't have to create a Google account to
use it, nor to download Google development tools and SDK(I haven't tried
them yet). It's only needed if you use their apps, like Gmail, Maps, and
Android Market, which you can still use through a browser, and you can flash
the device with the many available versions of Android made by 3rd parties.
Also, you can still download apps through your PC and transfer them to the
phone without creating an account with Google.

3 Answers

Mike Williams

"Nobody" <nobody@nobody.com> wrote in message

> - "In North America alone, the Apple-Android combination accounted
> for 83.5% of smartphone sales."
> - "Microsoft Corp. has had trouble getting traction, slipping to 1.6% of
> smartphones sold from 4.9% a year earlier."

Great stuff! I absolutely hate Micro$oft. Bunch of fucking box shifters who
buy (or steal) most of the content of their products! They've got where they
are today by using sneaky and underhand and in some cases illegal practices
(see their Nigeria scam for example) in order to get their operating system
pre-installed on almost all PCs that are available for sale in high street
outlets. They're a bunch of corporate gangsters and the sooner they melt
back into the primordial mud the better!

Mike

Abhishek

I have developed for Windows Mobile, it was a fine platform to develop for.
but things changed in the past 3 year and it went down. they tried to create
a mini PC experience on Phone and customers didnt liked it. people wanted
easy to use 'Devices' which do a particular task, users dont care which OS
their phone have.

"Nobody" <nobody@nobody.com> wrote in message
| Excerpts:

Mayayana

| I have an Android phone,

This reminds me of a prophetic Zippy the Pinhead cartoon.
It was back during the windsurfing craze...about 1990?
Zippy and his friend Shelf-life are out on a lake, talking to
each other via cellphone while they windsurf. I think Zippy
asked Shelf-life about having a barbecue later on. SL responded
something like, "Hold on, Zip, I've got to call my plumber."

All while windsurfing. *At the time* that scenario was so
farfetched as to be hilarious. :)