[ANN] JRuby 1.3.1 Released

Thomas Enebo

6/15/2009 5:39:00 PM

The JRuby community is pleased to announce the release of JRuby 1.3.1

Homepage: http://www....
Download: http://dist.codehaus....

JRuby 1.3.1 is a minor bug fix release which:
- Fixes a recently discovered security bug in BigDecimal
- Fixes a regression in timeout (0-1 second timeouts truncate to 0)
- Fixes a regression Thread.wakeup where the thread would not wake up

24 Answers

Rock FZYGC

On Oct 21, 12:51 pm, "who?" <yourimageunre...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> On Oct 21, 12:43 pm, "Raja, The Great" <zepflo...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > On Oct 21, 12:34 pm, Gemini Jackson <geminijackso...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> > > Not really.  Ever heard Georges alternative version?  Haunting and
> > > beautiful.  Maybe more so than the album cut.

> > > You can't have virtuosos at every instrument and have balanced, long
> > > lasting music, most of the time anyway. Zep may be an exception.
>
> > Yes... But in the Beatles lineup only one of them was a virtuoso of
> > any kind. Adding one more virtuoso is not gonna spoil it.
>
> > > Think
> > > of Blind Faith, and of course Cream.  We got some good stuff, but it
> > > was short lived and by the band's own account- a constant battle of
> > > egos.  You're like 'hey if sugar makes a cake sweet, let's dump in 5
> > > cups of it and have an AWESOME cake'.
>
> > I agree with it. Zeppelin somehow managed to stay for long. Yes' peak
> > lineup lasted 2 albums (Fragile and Close To the Edge) and Deep
> > Purple's peak line up lasted 4 albums (Deep Purple in Rock, Fireball,
> > Machine Head, Made in Japan). Mahavishnu Orchestra's best line up
> > lasted two albums only.

> > > And yet they seem to do well, even 40 years after ceasing to exist.
> > > And had George been motivated to do so, I have no doubt he could've
> > > handled more than he did.  He worked within the confines of the song.
> > > I think he would have been embarrassed to play the cliche 'rock star'
> > > guitarist that you want him to be.
>
> > No. I don't think he had the skills to do that anyway. Even if he
> > wanted to be Hendrix, he couldn't. It is highly ludicrous to think all
> > Beatles songs did not require any guitar showcasing at all. If there
> > were was a more skilled member, he would converted at least few of
> > them into wonderful musical explorations rather than 3 minute nice pop
> > songs.
>
> The Beatles were breaking up around the time long guitar solos
> became popular. They were a pop/rock  band, not a pop
> band.- Hide quoted text -

I think that is a rather crude categorization. Around Revolver they
started branching out to psychedelia, prog, experimental rock and all
forms of new styles... they were no longer making Love Me Dos.

Sgt Pepper is one of the best prog rock albums in my opinion.

Jeff

On Oct 21, 1:06 pm, moonpie <mr_rc_moon...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 21 Oct 2011 10:59:26 -0700 (PDT), "who?"
>

> <yourimageunre...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> >> Beatles broke up way too early

> >> But how many of them rock? If we had Eric Clapton, Curtis Mayfield,
> >> Martin Barre or Duane Eddy as the fifth member?
>
> >Why do they have to rock to be enjoyable?
>
> LOL
>
> How old are you Raja?
>
> You sound like you are a 14 year old metal fanboi.
>
> "It has to ROCK or it sucks".
>
> ROFL!!

ROFL

Jeff

On Oct 21, 12:58 pm, "Raja, The Great" <zepflo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Oct 21, 12:51 pm, "who?" <yourimageunre...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> > > Yes... But in the Beatles lineup only one of them was a virtuoso of
> > > any kind. Adding one more virtuoso is not gonna spoil it.

> > > I agree with it. Zeppelin somehow managed to stay for long. Yes' peak
> > > lineup lasted 2 albums (Fragile and Close To the Edge) and Deep
> > > Purple's peak line up lasted 4 albums (Deep Purple in Rock, Fireball,
> > > Machine Head, Made in Japan). Mahavishnu Orchestra's best line up
> > > lasted two albums only.

> > > No. I don't think he had the skills to do that anyway. Even if he
> > > wanted to be Hendrix, he couldn't. It is highly ludicrous to think all
> > > Beatles songs did not require any guitar showcasing at all. If there
> > > were was a more skilled member, he would converted at least few of
> > > them into wonderful musical explorations rather than 3 minute nice pop
> > > songs.
>
> > The Beatles were breaking up around the time long guitar solos
> > became popular. They were a pop/rock  band, not a pop
> > band.- Hide quoted text -
>
> I think that is a rather crude categorization. Around Revolver they
> started branching out to psychedelia, prog, experimental rock and all
> forms of new styles... they were no longer making Love Me Dos.
>
> Sgt Pepper is one of the best prog rock albums in my opinion.

Oh, brother. If you had lived in the 60's, you would understand
a lot more.

moonpie

On Fri, 21 Oct 2011 11:36:30 -0700 (PDT), "who?"
<yourimageunreels@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>On Oct 21, 12:58?pm, "Raja, The Great" <zepflo...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> > The Beatles were breaking up around the time long guitar solos
>> > became popular. They were a pop/rock ?band, not a pop
>> > band.- Hide quoted text -
>>
>> I think that is a rather crude categorization. Around Revolver they
>> started branching out to psychedelia, prog, experimental rock and all
>> forms of new styles... they were no longer making Love Me Dos.
>>
>> Sgt Pepper is one of the best prog rock albums in my opinion.
>
>Oh, brother. If you had lived in the 60's, you would understand
>a lot more.

He couldnt understand LESS, no matter WHEN he was born.

Its pointless really to try and discuss music with him, except to
laugh at his obstinate comedy, because the conversation always winds
up to the same more or less conclusions: his favorite rock bands have
"the best instrumentalists".

He thinks Townshend and Harrison arent any fucking good, and thats OK,
he's probably not the only one who thinks that, even tho millions of
accomplished guitarists disagree with him.

but think about what he does; he posts these lists of "who his
favorites are" and "bands he hates" and "who won the 1882 guitar
Olympics", and on and on... and he gets roundly bashed and constantly
ridiculed.... YET HE CONTINUALLY DOES IT, then whines like a baby when
it happens AGAIN.

So, Happy Friday Raja, you're my favorite list-making troll.

gemjack

On Fri, 21 Oct 2011 10:43:34 -0700 (PDT), "Raja, The Great"
<zepfloyes@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Oct 21, 12:34?pm, Gemini Jackson <geminijackso...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, 21 Oct 2011 09:26:27 -0700 (PDT), "Raja, The Great"
>>

>> <zepflo...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> >Do you honestly think any of the Beatles songs would be spoilt by
>> >having a technically sound and memorable guitar solo/riff? Didnt
>> >Clapton play on a Harrsion song and made it much better than it would
>> >have been?
>>
>> Not really. ?Ever heard Georges alternative version? ?Haunting and
>> beautiful. ?Maybe more so than the album cut.

I notice you had no comment on this.

>> >This bullshit of he did the right thing for the band can be applied to
>> >anyone. He was perfect for the band can be applied to any member from
>> >any band, if that member was part of a successful peak line up. Okay
>> >Phil Collins was perfect for Genesis but what if it was Bill Bruford
>> >instead? Wouldn't Genesis have been even better?
>>
>> You can't have virtuosos at every instrument and have balanced, long
>> lasting music, most of the time anyway. Zep may be an exception.
>
>Yes... But in the Beatles lineup only one of them was a virtuoso of
>any kind. Adding one more virtuoso is not gonna spoil it.

You mean Ringo, right?

>> Think
>> of Blind Faith, and of course Cream. ?We got some good stuff, but it
>> was short lived and by the band's own account- a constant battle of
>> egos. ?You're like 'hey if sugar makes a cake sweet, let's dump in 5
>> cups of it and have an AWESOME cake'. ?
>
>I agree with it. Zeppelin somehow managed to stay for long. Yes' peak
>lineup lasted 2 albums (Fragile and Close To the Edge) and Deep
>Purple's peak line up lasted 4 albums (Deep Purple in Rock, Fireball,
>Machine Head, Made in Japan). Mahavishnu Orchestra's best line up
>lasted two albums only.

Personally just never could get into to any of those (except Zep). I
acknowledge their skill, but....

>> >Beatles lacked a full time lead guitarist who could make them more
>> >musical (in the rock sense, not in the pop sense) in my opinion. They
>> >could have had say Eric Clapton in the band and they could have more
>> >rocking and more memorable songs.
>>
>> And yet they seem to do well, even 40 years after ceasing to exist.
>> And had George been motivated to do so, I have no doubt he could've
>> handled more than he did. ?He worked within the confines of the song.
>> I think he would have been embarrassed to play the cliche 'rock star'
>> guitarist that you want him to be.
>
>No. I don't think he had the skills to do that anyway. Even if he
>wanted to be Hendrix, he couldn't. It is highly ludicrous to think all
>Beatles songs did not require any guitar showcasing at all. If there
>were was a more skilled member, he would converted at least few of
>them into wonderful musical explorations rather than 3 minute nice pop
>songs.

SRV is the closest person I've ever heard try to do Hendrix properly.
And the Beatles excelled at 3 min pop songs. It's what they WANTED to
do. And apparently what Paul STILL wants to do given that he never
really changed his formula.

>> >When I listened to Beatles, it is for Paul McCartney's bass usually,
>> >nothing more. Okay the melodies are great too, but instrumentally
>> >nothng else wows means apart from the bass.
>>
>> Nothing wrong that, people have their preferences, and Paul is a great
>> bass player. ?But wouldn't they have been better if Entwistle from the
>> Who replaced him? ?By your logic it's surely so, right?
>
>I don't Entwistle was that much better than Macca. Both are about same
>level.

Pardon me, my eyes just popped out of my head.

-gj

moonpie

On Fri, 21 Oct 2011 15:13:05 -0400, Gemini Jackson
<geminijacksonis@yahoo.com> wrote:

>>I don't Entwistle was that much better than Macca. Both are about same
>>level.
>
>Pardon me, my eyes just popped out of my head.

I recently watched a documentary on Entwistle, they showed a lot of
close-ups of his fingers/hands while he played.

Lordy Bee.

Just mind-boggling, what that guy could do.

Sir Paul is great, can play bass and sing at the same time, which is
very difficult.

But in terms of, what was Rajas retarded definition, oh yes, "mad
skills" - I'm afraid Entwistle could physically play circles around
sir paul. Its not even close.

But we're only talking bass playing skill here and Sir Paul could do a
LOT more than play bass.

Rock FZYGC

On Oct 21, 12:59 pm, "who?" <yourimageunre...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> On Oct 21, 12:37 pm, "Raja, The Great" <zepflo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > All bands break up eventually.
>
> > Beatles broke up way too early

> > > The Beatles have the most memorable songs on this planet.- Hide quoted text -
>
> > But how many of them rock? If we had Eric Clapton, Curtis Mayfield,
> > Martin Barre or Duane Eddy as the fifth member?
>
> Why do they have to rock to be enjoyable? Actually, their early music
> did rock. It just wasn't the kind of rock that you're thinking of. You
> would have had to have grown up in that time period to relate. Our
> parents hated it....cause they thought it was heavy rock, and it was,
> for that time period.- Hide quoted text -

Actually I agree with this. Please Please Me would have been a heavy
rock album for 1963. I don't think it has to rock to be enjoyable... I
think it can rock and be more enjoyable than it is... Pink Floyd is
my third favorite band and they are not really the most rocking band.
So don't mistake me for a fan of heavy rocking music only.

Also I don't think it is insulting to suggest or speculate that a band
could have been better with an additional member. Led Zeppelin didn't
have a flautist. May be they could have that loon Ian Anderson as the
5th member? He also apparently played violin, trumpet and saxophone on
Thick As a Bricck. May be they could also have Michael Davis from
Hawkwind on synthesizer?

May be Pink Floyd could have David Jackson from VDGG who could have
contributed flute and saxophone. May be Yes should have had Nick
Turner (on sax and flute) from Hawkwind.

Rock FZYGC

On Oct 21, 2:15 pm, moonpie <mr_rc_moon...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 21 Oct 2011 15:13:05 -0400, Gemini Jackson
>
> <geminijackso...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> >>I don't Entwistle was that much better than Macca. Both are about same
> >>level.
>
> >Pardon me, my eyes just popped out of my head.
>
> I recently watched a documentary on Entwistle, they showed a lot of
> close-ups of his fingers/hands while he played.
>
> Lordy Bee.
>
> Just mind-boggling, what that guy could do.
>
> Sir Paul is great, can play bass and sing at the same time, which is
> very difficult.
>
> But in terms of, what was Rajas retarded definition, oh yes, "mad
> skills" - I'm afraid Entwistle could physically play circles around
> sir paul. Its not even close.
>
> But we're only talking bass playing skill here and Sir Paul could do a
> LOT more than play bass.

You are underrating Macca here.

Rock FZYGC

On Oct 21, 2:10 pm, moonpie <mr_rc_moon...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 21 Oct 2011 11:36:30 -0700 (PDT), "who?"
>

> <yourimageunre...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> >> I think that is a rather crude categorization. Around Revolver they
> >> started branching out to psychedelia, prog, experimental rock and all
> >> forms of new styles... they were no longer making Love Me Dos.
>
> >> Sgt Pepper is one of the best prog rock albums in my opinion.
>
> >Oh, brother. If you had lived in the 60's, you would understand
> >a lot more.
>
> He couldnt understand LESS, no matter WHEN he was born.
>
> Its pointless really to try and discuss music with him, except to
> laugh at his obstinate comedy, because the conversation always winds
> up to the same more or less conclusions: his favorite rock bands have
> "the best instrumentalists".
>
> He thinks Townshend and Harrison arent any fucking good,

When did I say that? Both are good rhythm guitarists. I dont see them
as great lead guitarists.

>and thats OK,
> he's probably not the only one who thinks that, even tho millions of
> accomplished guitarists disagree with him.
>
> but think about what he does; he posts these lists of "who his
> favorites are" and "bands he hates" and "who won the 1882 guitar
> Olympics", and on and on... and he gets roundly bashed and constantly
> ridiculed.... YET HE CONTINUALLY DOES IT, then whines like a baby when
> it happens AGAIN.
>
> So, Happy Friday Raja, you're my favorite list-making troll.- Hide quoted text -

rwalker

On Fri, 21 Oct 2011 13:34:26 -0400, Gemini Jackson
<geminijacksonis@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Not really. Ever heard Georges alternative version? Haunting and
>beautiful. Maybe more so than the album cut.

I've agreed with pretty much all you've said. And I do love the
acoustic version, but it always leaves me wanting more. The album
version is just so powerful that I personally prefer it.

Nevertheless, I agree with yiou about George and his guitar playing.