How does gem know to create an executable

Raj Singh

6/15/2009 2:30:00 AM

I installed gem called gembox and am loving it.

http://github.com/quirkey/gembox/t...

When I installed this gem, I got this command called 'gembox' for free.

> which gembox
/usr/bin/gembox

I am looking at gembox.gemspec and am not able to find any mention of
executable.
http://github.com/quirkey/gembox/blob/0e83224d34734ea2f2d8337f289941902b469a7a/gemb...

My question is where in the gem specification it is mentioned that an
executable should be created and the name of the executable should be
'gembox'.

I read the manuals mentioned at http://rub... but could not get
what I am looking for.

Thanks

Ryan Davis

On Jun 14, 2009, at 19:30 , Raj Singh wrote:

> I installed gem called gembox and am loving it.
>
> http://github.com/quirkey/gembox/t...
>
> When I installed this gem, I got this command called 'gembox' for
> free.
>
>> which gembox
> /usr/bin/gembox
>

> I am looking at gembox.gemspec and am not able to find any mention of
> executable.
> http://github.com/quirkey/gembox/blob/0e83224d34734ea2f2d8337f289941902b469a7a/gemb...

s.executables = ["gembox"]

Raj Singh

Hi Ryan,

Thanks for the response. If I am using hoe, how do I mark something as
executable?

Eric Hodel

On Jun 15, 2009, at 07:55, Raj Singh wrote:
> Thanks for the response. If I am using hoe, how do I mark something as
> executable?

Drop a file in bin/ that is executable and Hoe will Do What You Want.