Firewatir question

Axel Etzold

6/11/2009 9:21:00 PM

Dear all,

I am trying to automate some javascript website using Firewatir.
I use the following code :

require 'rubygems'
require 'firewatir'
include FireWatir
test_site="http://konjugator.reverso.net/konjugation-englisch....
ff=Firefox.new
ff.goto(test_site)
ff.text_field(:name,"ctl00$txtVerb").set("go")
# everything is nice up to here, then I'd like to click the "Konjugieren" # button, which fails
ff.button(:title,"Konjugieren").click
ff.close

The second-to-last line gives the following error:

/usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/firewatir-1.6.2/lib/firewatir/MozillaBaseElement.rb:967:in `assert_exists': Unable to locate element, using :title, "Konjugieren" (Watir::Exception::UnknownObjectException)
from /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/firewatir-1.6.2/lib/firewatir/MozillaBaseElement.rb:1112:in `click'
from f.rb:11

... yet there's an element with :title 'Konjugieren' in the website that's generated when I enter the information by hand.
What am I missing ?

Thank you very much!

Best regards,

Axel
Jetzt freischalten unter http://portal.gmx.net/de/go...

2 Answers

Jason Trebilcock

> I am trying to automate some javascript website using Firewatir.
> I use the following code :
>

> require 'rubygems'
> require 'firewatir'
> include FireWatir
> test_site="http://konjugator.reverso.net/konjugation-englisch....
> ff=Firefox.new
> ff.goto(test_site)
> ff.text_field(:name,"ctl00$txtVerb").set("go")
> # everything is nice up to here, then I'd like to click the
> "Konjugieren" # button, which fails
> ff.button(:title,"Konjugieren").click
> ff.close
>
> The second-to-last line gives the following error:
>
> /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/firewatir-
> 1.6.2/lib/firewatir/MozillaBaseElement.rb:967:in `assert_exists':
> Unable to locate element, using :title, "Konjugieren"
> (Watir::Exception::UnknownObjectException)
> from /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/firewatir-
> 1.6.2/lib/firewatir/MozillaBaseElement.rb:1112:in `click'
> from f.rb:11
>
> ... yet there's an element with :title 'Konjugieren' in the website
> that's generated when I enter the information by hand.
> What am I missing ?
>
> Thank you very much!
>
> Best regards,
>
> Axel
> --

[Jason Trebilcock]

What you're running into is an object that looks like a button, but, for all
intents and purposes, isn't a button. I've been trying to debug the above
using Watir and am not having a whole lot of luck.

There is something at the following that looks like it might be of help:
http://rubyforge.org/pipermail/wtr-general/2006-January/0...

Beyond that, you might want to browse and ask the Watir group (if you
haven't already done so):
http://groups.google.com/group/wat...

They should be able to help point you in a good direction.

Jason

John W Higgins

On Thu, Jun 11, 2009 at 2:21 PM, Axel Etzold <AEtzold@gmx.de> wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I am trying to automate some javascript website using Firewatir.
> I use the following code :
>

> require 'rubygems'
> require 'firewatir'
> include FireWatir
> test_site="http://konjugator.reverso.net/konjugation-englisch....
> ff=Firefox.new
> ff.goto(test_site)
> ff.text_field(:name,"ctl00$txtVerb").set("go")
> # everything is nice up to here, then I'd like to click the "Konjugieren" #
> button, which fails
> ff.button(:title,"Konjugieren").click
> ff.close

If you look at the source for your test page it's not a button but an <a>
element that you are looking to click. Using this as a reference
http://wiki.openqa.org/display/WTR/HTML+Tags+and+Wat... you can find
that for an <a> element you use the link method. So all you need to do is
change button to link and you should be in business.

John