publically accessible fastri

Roger Pack

6/11/2009 12:51:00 PM

I have been thinking recently that I wish I could access ri data for
core without having to install it myself
like some web service to look up ri information for me. Perhaps a
globally accessible fastri server or what not.

Does anybody know if such a thing exists?
If not would it be a good idea for me to set one up?

Thanks!
-=r

James Herdman

If you're just looking for core docs, check out http://www.rub....
From the sound of it, you want to access documentation via the RI tool via
the web. Why is that? What is the problem you are trying to solve?

James H.

On Thu, Jun 11, 2009 at 8:50 AM, Roger Pack <rogerpack2005@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have been thinking recently that I wish I could access ri data for
> core without having to install it myself
> like some web service to look up ri information for me. Perhaps a
> globally accessible fastri server or what not.
>
> Does anybody know if such a thing exists?
> If not would it be a good idea for me to set one up?
>
> Thanks!
> -=r

Roger Pack

James Herdman wrote:
> If you're just looking for core docs, check out
> http://www.rub....
> From the sound of it, you want to access documentation via the RI tool
> via
> the web. Why is that? What is the problem you are trying to solve?

Many times the ruby I use does not have ri installed. Plus accessing it
from the command line is slow (main reason for fastri). Yep that's the
problem--I don't want to have to *worry* whether I installed the docs or
not.
Thanks.
-=r

Eric Hodel

On Jun 11, 2009, at 09:17, Roger Pack wrote:

> Many times the ruby I use does not have ri installed. Plus
> accessing it
> from the command line is slow (main reason for fastri). Yep that's
> the
> problem--I don't want to have to *worry* whether I installed the
> docs or

Which RDoc do you have installed? rdoc --version will tell you.

Roger Pack

> Which RDoc do you have installed? rdoc --version will tell you.

$ rdoc --version
RDoc V1.0.1 - 20041108

I suppose newer versions are faster?
[unfortunately it seems that still my ruby installs tend to not include
the docs, hence a public lookup being nice]. I'd even be willing to
submit a patch to ri s.t. it goes to some lookup if you don't install
docs by default, if it would be useful (and acceptable :) )
-=r

Eric Hodel

On Jun 11, 2009, at 12:54, Roger Pack wrote:
>> Which RDoc do you have installed? rdoc --version will tell you.
>
> $ rdoc --version
> RDoc V1.0.1 - 20041108
>
> I suppose newer versions are faster?
> [unfortunately it seems that still my ruby installs tend to not
> include
> the docs, hence a public lookup being nice]. I'd even be willing to
> submit a patch to ri s.t. it goes to some lookup if you don't install
> docs by default, if it would be useful (and acceptable :) )

You could probably do a plugin for it, there's lots of great ideas out
there but I don't have the time to maintain them all. It's much
easier for me to add hooks in RDoc for a plugin than it is to maintain
the plugin.

Eric Hodel

On Jun 11, 2009, at 12:54, Roger Pack wrote:
>> Which RDoc do you have installed? rdoc --version will tell you.
>
> $ rdoc --version
> RDoc V1.0.1 - 20041108
>
> I suppose newer versions are faster?
> [unfortunately it seems that still my ruby installs tend to not
> include
> the docs, hence a public lookup being nice]. I'd even be willing to
> submit a patch to ri s.t. it goes to some lookup if you don't install
> docs by default, if it would be useful (and acceptable :) )

RDoc 2 is significantly faster than 1, but I don't think it can match
fastri speeds since it is more conservative in its changes.

Rick DeNatale

On Thu, Jun 11, 2009 at 4:51 PM, Eric Hodel<drbrain@segment7.net> wrote:
> On Jun 11, 2009, at 12:54, Roger Pack wrote:
>>>
>>> Which RDoc do you have installed? =A0rdoc --version will tell you.
>>
>> $ rdoc --version
>> RDoc V1.0.1 - 20041108
>>
>> I suppose newer versions are faster?
>> [unfortunately it seems that still my ruby installs tend to not include
>> the docs, hence a public lookup being nice]. =A0I'd even be willing to
>> submit a patch to ri s.t. it goes to some lookup if you don't install
>> docs by default, if it would be useful (and acceptable :) )
>
> RDoc 2 is significantly faster than 1, but I don't think it can match fas=
tri
> speeds since it is more conservative in its changes.

And unfortunately fastri has not kept up with the changes to rdoc, so
it doesn't work anymore, and Mauricio seems to have abandoned it.

--=20
Rick DeNatale

Blog: http://talklikeaduck.denh...
Twitter: http://twitter.com/Ri...
WWR: http://www.workingwithrails.com/person/9021-ric...
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/ri...

Roger Pack

>> docs by default, if it would be useful (and acceptable :) )
> You could probably do a plugin for it, there's lots of great ideas out
> there but I don't have the time to maintain them all. It's much
> easier for me to add hooks in RDoc for a plugin than it is to maintain
> the plugin.

is ri pluggable?
-=r

Eric Hodel

On Jun 12, 2009, at 07:51, Roger Pack wrote:
>>> docs by default, if it would be useful (and acceptable :) )
>> You could probably do a plugin for it, there's lots of great ideas
>> out
>> there but I don't have the time to maintain them all. It's much
>> easier for me to add hooks in RDoc for a plugin than it is to
>> maintain
>> the plugin.
>
> is ri pluggable?

ri being part of RDoc, it is possible in theory. I don't know if
anybody has tried to prove this theory.

If it's not, I'll accept patches.

Trans

On Jun 11, 8:50=A0am, Roger Pack <rogerpack2...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have been thinking recently that I wish I could access ri data for
> core without having to install it myself
> like some web service to look up ri information for me. =A0Perhaps a
> globally accessible fastri server or what not.
>
> Does anybody know if such a thing exists?
> If not would it be a good idea for me to set one up?

http://webri.tig...

T.