Rdoc does not document UTF-8 files?

Marvin Gülker

yesterday I tried to document a piece of code I had written in Ruby 1.9.
But it turned out that Rdoc wasn't able to document my UTF-8 encoded
file! Reduced to a minimal example, this file...

#Encoding: UTF-8
#test file

#test class
class A

#test method
def a
puts "a"

...can't be documented if encoded in UTF-8. When I tried it again with
an encoding of Windows-1252 (yes, I'm using Ruby on Windows...) it
worked fine. I tried both the versions 2.2.2 and 2.4.3 of Rdoc but
neither of it worked - regardless of whether I used an additional "-c
UTF-8" parameter or not.

I'm using ruby 1.9.1-p129 on Windows XP SP3. Because I was telled at the
German Ruby forum
(http://forum.ruby-portal.de/viewtopic.php?f=22&...) that this worked
fine on OS X I suspect that this is a Windows issue. Is there some fix
about it or am I just doing something wrong?

Marvin

Eric Hodel

On Jun 10, 2009, at 12:00, Marvin G=FClker wrote:
> yesterday I tried to document a piece of code I had written in Ruby =20=

> 1.9.
> But it turned out that Rdoc wasn't able to document my UTF-8 encoded
> file! Reduced to a minimal example, this file...
>
> #Encoding: UTF-8
> #test file
>
> #test class
> class A
>
> #test method
> def a
> puts "a"

> ...can't be documented if encoded in UTF-8. When I tried it again with
> an encoding of Windows-1252 (yes, I'm using Ruby on Windows...) it
> worked fine. I tried both the versions 2.2.2 and 2.4.3 of Rdoc but
> neither of it worked - regardless of whether I used an additional "-c
> UTF-8" parameter or not.

The -c parameter currently only controls the value that shows up in =20
the HTML meta element. Eventually it will control the encoding of the =20=

output files, but never the input files.

> I'm using ruby 1.9.1-p129 on Windows XP SP3. Because I was telled at =20=

> the
> German Ruby forum
> (http://forum.ruby-portal.de/viewtopic.php?f=3D22&am...) that this =20=

> worked
> fine on OS X I suspect that this is a Windows issue. Is there some fix
> about it or am I just doing something wrong?

It doesn't work for me on OS X, please file a bug.

Marvin Gülker

Eric Hodel wrote:
> It doesn't work for me on OS X, please file a bug.

Sorry, but I've never filed a Rdoc or even Ruby bug before. Where can I
do this?

Marvin

Eric Hodel

http://rubyforge.org/tracker/?atid=3D2472&group_id=3D627&func...