comp.lang.python

lowercase u before string in "python for windows"

davidj411

3/10/2008 5:21:00 PM

why does this occur when using the python windows extensions? all
string are prefixed by a lowercase "u".
is there a newsgroup explicitly for python windows extensions?

example of output below.

SMBIOSBIOSVersion:u'A16'
SMBIOSMajorVersion:2
SMBIOSMinorVersion:3
SMBIOSPresent:True
SoftwareElementID:u'Phoenix ROM BIOS PLUS Version 1.10 A16'
SoftwareElementState:3
Status:u'OK'
TargetOperatingSystem:0

here is a snippet of the code:

if objItem.Status != None:
print "Status:" + ` objItem.Status`
if objItem.TargetOperatingSystem != None:
print "TargetOperatingSystem:" + `
objItem.TargetOperatingSystem`
if objItem.Version != None:
print "Version:" + ` objItem.Version`
3 Answers

Tim Chase

> why does this occur when using the python windows extensions? all
> string are prefixed by a lowercase "u".

They are Unicode strings:

http://docs.python.org/ref/st...

> is there a newsgroup explicitly for python windows extensions?

Not that I know of, other than what's described here:

https://sourceforge.net/mail/?grou...

-tkc

Simon Brunning

On Mon, Mar 10, 2008 at 5:20 PM, davidj411 <davidj411@gmail.com> wrote:
> why does this occur when using the python windows extensions?

There's nothing Windows specific about this - it just means that you
have unicode strings. See
<http://effbot.org/zone/unicode-objec...,

--
Cheers,
Simon B.

Mike Driscoll

> > is there a newsgroup explicitly for python windows extensions?
>
> Not that I know of, other than what's described here:
>
> https://sourceforge.net/mail/?grou...
>
> -tkc

There is a PyWin32 user's group:

The maintainer of the project is a regular contributor to the list as
are a number of other very knowledgeable Windows guys.

Mike