comp.lang.python

Python GDB Wrapper

Raja

I am trying to develop a a GDB wrapper script in python which is
able to extract a stack trace and all relevant data.

Has anyone does this before ? Even some basic idea or code as to how
to proceed would be great.

Thanks,
Raja.
5 Answers

Daniel Bonekeeper

On Fri, Mar 7, 2008 at 4:01 AM, Raja <rokkamraja@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> I am trying to develop a a GDB wrapper script in python which is
> able to extract a stack trace and all relevant data.
>
> Has anyone does this before ? Even some basic idea or code as to how
> to proceed would be great.
>
> Thanks,
> Raja.

You mean extract the information from core dump files that gdb interprets ?
Check out stuff like ELF, Dwarf 3 (http://dwarf.freestan...)
and gdb sources.

--
What this world needs is a good five-dollar plasma weapon.

Martin v. Loewis

> Has anyone does this before ? Even some basic idea or code as to how
> to proceed would be great.

Have you seen Misc/gdbinit?

Regards,
Martin

Raja

Hi All,
Thanks for replies. Daniel- I am looking at just a wrapper
around GDB. I dont want to emulate the functionalities of GDB but
instead use them in python scripting.
Martin - Misc/gdbinit looks promising. Thanks a lot.

Thanks,
Raja.

On Mar 7, 12:43 pm, "Martin v. Löwis" <mar...@v.loewis.de> wrote:
> > Has anyone does this before ? Even some basic idea or code as to how
> > to proceed would be great.
>
> Have you seen Misc/gdbinit?
>
> Regards,
> Martin

Raja

On Mar 7, 1:21 pm, Raja <rokkamr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
> Thanks for replies. Daniel- I am looking at just a wrapper
> around GDB. I dont want to emulate the functionalities of GDB but
> instead use them in python scripting.
> Martin - Misc/gdbinit looks promising. Thanks a lot.
>
> Thanks,
> Raja.
>
> On Mar 7, 12:43 pm, "Martin v. Löwis" <mar...@v.loewis.de> wrote:
>
> > > Has anyone does this before ? Even some basic idea or code as to how
> > > to proceed would be great.
>
> > Have you seen Misc/gdbinit?
>
> > Regards,
> > Martin

Hi All,
Marting- I looked at the Misc/gdbinit but what I want is a Python
module which wraps around GDB and exposes its functionality, which has
some methods in it like pystack to which if I give the arguments as
program name and arguments displays the stack trace of that particular
program .

Thanks,
Raja.

Navtej Singh