comp.lang.python

Python an Exchange Server

Yusniel

3/4/2008 7:20:00 PM

Hi friends. Someone know how to work with python and exchange
server?.
3 Answers

Tim Chase

> Hi friends. Someone know how to work with python and exchange
> server?.

I've used both imaplib[1] and smtplib[2] (in the standard
library) for talking successfully with an Exchange server. I
don't do much with POP3, but there's also a poplib module[3] in
the standard library. I just wrote some imaplib code this
morning to work with an existing Exchange mailbox and some
smtplib code last week for sending email through an Exchange box.

Exchange offers other proprietary functionality, exposed through
the MAPI. You might be able to use some of the Win32
functionality in one of the add-on modules for talking with COM
objects.

-tkc

[1] http://docs.python.org/lib/module-im...
[2] http://docs.python.org/lib/module-sm...
[3] http://docs.python.org/lib/module-p...

Grant Edwards

On 2008-03-04, Tim Chase <python.list@tim.thechases.com> wrote:

> Exchange offers other proprietary functionality, exposed
> through the MAPI. You might be able to use some of the Win32
> functionality in one of the add-on modules for talking with
> COM objects.

I spent a while looking into this a few years ago, and there
was no way to use MAPI other than via the COM interface to
Outlook. There are examples of using Outlook via its COM
interface floating around somewhere.

--
Grant Edwards grante Yow! Go on, EMOTE!
at I was RAISED on thought

Mike Driscoll

On Mar 4, 1:20 pm, Yusniel <yhidalg...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi friends. Someone know how to work with python and exchange
> server?.

If you do go the COM route, you'll probably want to ask questions of
the PyWin32 user's group, which can be found here:

They talk about this sort of thing quite a bit.

Mike