[ANN] nokogiri 1.3.0 Released

Aaron Patterson

5/30/2009 9:11:00 PM

nokogiri version 1.3.0 has been released!

* <http://nokogiri.rubyforg...
* <http://github.com/tenderlove/nokogiri...
* <http://github.com/tenderlove/nokogiri/tree/...
* <http://github.com/tenderlove/nokogiri/...

Nokogiri (é?¸) is an HTML, XML, SAX, and Reader parser.

Changes:

### 1.3.0 / 2009-05-30

* New Features

* Builder changes scope based on block arity
* Builder supports methods ending in underscore similar to tagz
* Nokogiri::XML::Node#<=> compares nodes based on Document position
* Nokogiri::XML::Node#matches? returns true if Node can be found with
given selector.
* Nokogiri::XML::Node#ancestors now returns an Nokogiri::XML::NodeSet
* Nokogiri::XML::Node#ancestors will match parents against optional selector
* Nokogiri::HTML::Document#meta_encoding for getting the meta encoding
* Nokogiri::HTML::Document#meta_encoding= for setting the meta encoding
* Nokogiri::XML::Document#encoding= to set the document encoding
* Nokogiri::XML::Schema for validating documents against XSD schema
* Nokogiri::XML::RelaxNG for validating documents against RelaxNG schema
* Nokogiri::HTML::ElementDescription for fetching HTML element descriptions
* Nokogiri::XML::Node#description to fetch the node description
* Nokogiri::XML::Node#accept implements Visitor pattern
* bin/nokogiri for easily examining documents (Thanks Yutaka HARA!)
* Nokogiri::XML::NodeSet now supports more Array and Enumerable operators:
index, delete, slice, - (difference), + (concatenation), & (intersection),
push, pop, shift, ==
* Nokogiri.XML, Nokogiri.HTML take blocks that receive
Nokogiri::XML::ParseOptions objects
* Nokogiri::XML::Node#namespace returns a Nokogiri::XML::Namespace
* Nokogiri::XML::Node#namespace= for setting a node's namespace
* Nokogiri::XML::DocumentFragment and Nokogiri::HTML::DocumentFragment
have a sensible API and a more robust implementation.
* JRuby 1.3.0 support via FFI.

* Bugfixes

* Fixed a problem with nil passed to CDATA constructor
* Fragment method deals with regular expression characters
(Thanks Joel!) LH #73
* Fixing builder scope issues LH #61, LH #74, LH #70
* Fixed a problem when adding a child could remove the child namespace LH#78
* Fixed bug with unlinking a node then reparenting it. (GH#22)
* Fixed failure to catch errors during XSLT parsing (GH#32)
* Fixed a bug with attribute conditions in CSS selectors (GH#36)
* Fixed intolerance of HTML attributes without values in Node#before/after/inner_html=. (GH#35)

--
Aaron Patterson
http://tenderlovem...

31 Answers

Roger Pack

Aaron Patterson wrote:
> nokogiri version 1.3.0 has been released!

Cool. Any instructions on how to install that in windows?
-=r

Aaron Patterson

On Sun, May 31, 2009 at 06:43:05AM +0900, Roger Pack wrote:
> Aaron Patterson wrote:
> > nokogiri version 1.3.0 has been released!
>
> Cool. Any instructions on how to install that in windows?

gem install nokogiri

The mirrors probably aren't updated yet.

--
Aaron Patterson
http://tenderlovem...

Iii Iii

> gem install nokogiri
>
> The mirrors probably aren't updated yet.

But it still doesn't work under mingw version of Ruby 1.9.1. It's very
frustrated when you need testing app using webrat :-|...

Charles Oliver Nutter

Congratulations on the JRuby support! Nokogiri has to be one of the #1
most requested items for us. And hopefully over the summer we'll get a
Java+Ruby(+ no C at all) version released too!

On Sun, May 31, 2009 at 08:37:54AM +0900, Iii Iii wrote:
> > gem install nokogiri
> >
> > The mirrors probably aren't updated yet.
>
> But it still doesn't work under mingw version of Ruby 1.9.1. It's very
> frustrated when you need testing app using webrat :-|...

Do you mind expanding on this? I tested it with that particular version
of ruby on windows, so I'm surprised it doesn't work. As of 1.3.0, we
support that version, so if it doesn't work, I consider that a bug.

--
Aaron Patterson
http://tenderlovem...

Phil Rhoades

People,

I had problems getting v1.2.3 installed so for this version I firstly
uninstalled the previous version. This time the gem install went OK and
"gem list" gives:

nokogiri (1.3.0)

but when I run the demo program I get:

./t095.rb:3:in `require': no such file to load -- nokogiri (LoadError)

and the same from irb:

irb
irb(main):001:0> require 'nokogiri'
LoadError: no such file to load -- nokogiri
from (irb):1:in `require'
from (irb):1

What now?

Thanks,

Phil.

On 2009-05-31 07:10, Aaron Patterson wrote:
> nokogiri version 1.3.0 has been released!
>
> *<http://nokogiri.rubyforg...
> *<http://github.com/tenderlove/nokogiri...
> *<http://github.com/tenderlove/nokogiri/tree/...
> *<http://github.com/tenderlove/nokogiri/...
>
> Nokogiri (é?¸) is an HTML, XML, SAX, and Reader parser.
>
> Changes:
>
> ### 1.3.0 / 2009-05-30
>
> * New Features
>
> * Builder changes scope based on block arity
> * Builder supports methods ending in underscore similar to tagz
> * Nokogiri::XML::Node#<=> compares nodes based on Document position
> * Nokogiri::XML::Node#matches? returns true if Node can be found with
> given selector.
> * Nokogiri::XML::Node#ancestors now returns an Nokogiri::XML::NodeSet
> * Nokogiri::XML::Node#ancestors will match parents against optional selector
> * Nokogiri::HTML::Document#meta_encoding for getting the meta encoding
> * Nokogiri::HTML::Document#meta_encoding= for setting the meta encoding
> * Nokogiri::XML::Document#encoding= to set the document encoding
> * Nokogiri::XML::Schema for validating documents against XSD schema
> * Nokogiri::XML::RelaxNG for validating documents against RelaxNG schema
> * Nokogiri::HTML::ElementDescription for fetching HTML element descriptions
> * Nokogiri::XML::Node#description to fetch the node description
> * Nokogiri::XML::Node#accept implements Visitor pattern
> * bin/nokogiri for easily examining documents (Thanks Yutaka HARA!)
> * Nokogiri::XML::NodeSet now supports more Array and Enumerable operators:
> index, delete, slice, - (difference), + (concatenation),& (intersection),
> push, pop, shift, ==
> * Nokogiri.XML, Nokogiri.HTML take blocks that receive
> Nokogiri::XML::ParseOptions objects
> * Nokogiri::XML::Node#namespace returns a Nokogiri::XML::Namespace
> * Nokogiri::XML::Node#namespace= for setting a node's namespace
> * Nokogiri::XML::DocumentFragment and Nokogiri::HTML::DocumentFragment
> have a sensible API and a more robust implementation.
> * JRuby 1.3.0 support via FFI.
>
> * Bugfixes
>
> * Fixed a problem with nil passed to CDATA constructor
> * Fragment method deals with regular expression characters
> (Thanks Joel!) LH #73
> * Fixing builder scope issues LH #61, LH #74, LH #70
> * Fixed a problem when adding a child could remove the child namespace LH#78
> * Fixed bug with unlinking a node then reparenting it. (GH#22)
> * Fixed failure to catch errors during XSLT parsing (GH#32)
> * Fixed a bug with attribute conditions in CSS selectors (GH#36)
> * Fixed intolerance of HTML attributes without values in Node#before/after/inner_html=. (GH#35)
>
> *<http://nokogiri.rubyforg...
> *<http://github.com/tenderlove/nokogiri...
> *<http://github.com/tenderlove/nokogiri/tree/...
> *<http://github.com/tenderlove/nokogiri/...

--
Philip Rhoades

GPO Box 3411
Sydney NSW 2001
Australia
E-mail: phil@pricom.com.au

Michael Guterl

On Sun, May 31, 2009 at 10:47 AM, Philip Rhoades <phil@pricom.com.au> wrote=
:
> People,
>
> I had problems getting v1.2.3 installed so for this version I firstly
> uninstalled the previous version. =C2=A0This time the gem install went OK=
and
> "gem list" gives:
>
> =C2=A0nokogiri (1.3.0)
>
> but when I run the demo program I get:
>
> =C2=A0./t095.rb:3:in `require': no such file to load -- nokogiri (LoadErr=
or)

> and the same from irb:
>
> =C2=A0irb
> =C2=A0irb(main):001:0> require 'nokogiri'
> =C2=A0LoadError: no such file to load -- nokogiri
> =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0from (irb):1:in `require'
> =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0from (irb):1
>
> What now?

require 'rubygems'
require 'nokogiri'

Did you try that?

Best,
Michael Guterl

Phil Rhoades

Michael,

On 2009-06-01 02:42, Michael Guterl wrote:
> On Sun, May 31, 2009 at 10:47 AM, Philip Rhoades<phil@pricom.com.au> wrote:
>> People,
>>
>> I had problems getting v1.2.3 installed so for this version I firstly
>> uninstalled the previous version. This time the gem install went OK and
>> "gem list" gives:
>>
>> nokogiri (1.3.0)
>>
>> but when I run the demo program I get:
>>
>> ./t095.rb:3:in `require': no such file to load -- nokogiri (LoadError)
>>
>> and the same from irb:
>>
>> irb
>> irb(main):001:0> require 'nokogiri'
>> LoadError: no such file to load -- nokogiri
>> from (irb):1:in `require'
>> from (irb):1
>>
>> What now?
>>

> require 'rubygems'
> require 'nokogiri'
>
> Did you try that?

That works - thanks! - shouldn't the line "require 'rubygems'" be in the
example code on:

http://nokogiri.rubyforge.org...

?

Regards,

Phil.
--
Philip Rhoades

GPO Box 3411
Sydney NSW 2001
Australia
E-mail: phil@pricom.com.au

Eric Hodel

On May 31, 2009, at 12:49, Philip Rhoades wrote:
> On 2009-06-01 02:42, Michael Guterl wrote:
>> require 'rubygems'
>> require 'nokogiri'
>>
>> Did you try that?
>

> That works - thanks! - shouldn't the line "require 'rubygems'" be in
> the example code

It should be self-evident that if you install software using RubyGems
you need to load RubyGems to use that software

Phlip

Philip Rhoades wrote:

>> require 'rubygems'
>> require 'nokogiri'

> That works - thanks! - shouldn't the line "require 'rubygems'" be in the
> example code on:
>
> http://nokogiri.rubyforge.org...

Yes, but that's a FAQ for every ruby gem out there. The root documentation for
all gems should contain that line, but El Goog will always be able to help if
they don't.