Requesting Japanese Translation

James Gray

5/30/2009 12:37:00 AM

I'm adding a little Japanese to a Ruby presentation I am giving. I
need just one simple phrase translated at this time. (More will come
later though, so let me know if you don't mind helping out.)

If some bilingual friend would take pity on me an translate this, I
would be super grateful:

Server Offline

Thanks in advance for the help!

James Edward Gray II

8 Answers

Bill Kelly

From: "James Gray" <james@grayproductions.net>

> If some bilingual friend would take pity on me an translate this, I
> would be super grateful:
>
> Server Offline

Reminds me of:

http://tastyspleen.net/~quadz/sillypx/translateserve...

Sorry Could Not Resist,

Bill

Michael Monaghan

MS offer translated strings at
http://www.microsoft.com/Downloads/details.aspx?familyid=25018024-2DFD-4229-9763-05F78FEAF2FF&disp...

Nobuyoshi Nakada

At Sat, 30 May 2009 09:36:53 +0900,
James Gray wrote in [ruby-talk:337899]:
> Server Offline

?????????

Though I wonder if it depends on the context, the above is
simplest.

--
Nobu Nakada

Rick DeNatale

2009/5/30 Nobuyoshi Nakada <nobu@ruby-lang.org>:
> Hi,
>
> At Sat, 30 May 2009 09:36:53 +0900,
> James Gray wrote in [ruby-talk:337899]:
>> Server Offline
>
> ?????????

Nobu -

My wife's not around to ask but.

I think I understand the sa-ba- is server, the rest seems to be either

o furai so
or maybe
o furaiso

Or did I misunderstand the Katakana?

The only word in her Japanese-English dictionary which matches is
furai, which means a 'breaded deep fried food"

So is this literally saying that the server is fried!

--
Rick DeNatale

Blog: http://talklikeaduck.denh...
Twitter: http://twitter.com/Ri...
WWR: http://www.workingwithrails.com/person/9021-ric...
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/ri...

Harry Kakueki

2009/5/31 Rick DeNatale <rick.denatale@gmail.com>:
> 2009/5/30 Nobuyoshi Nakada <nobu@ruby-lang.org>:
>> Hi,
>>
>> At Sat, 30 May 2009 09:36:53 +0900,
>> James Gray wrote in [ruby-talk:337899]:
>>> Server Offline
>>
>> ?????????
>
> Nobu -
>
> My wife's not around to ask but.
>
> I think I understand the sa-ba- is server, the rest seems to be either
>
> o furai so
> or maybe
> o furaiso
>
> Or did I misunderstand the Katakana?
>
> The only word in her Japanese-English dictionary which matches is
> furai, which means a 'breaded deep fried food"
>
> So is this literally saying that the server is fried!
>
> --
> Rick DeNatale
>
> Blog: http://talklikeaduck.denh...
> Twitter: http://twitter.com/Ri...
> WWR: http://www.workingwithrails.com/person/9021-ric...
> LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/ri...

You are on the right track but the last character is not 'so', it is 'n'.

Harry

--
A Look into Japanese Ruby List in English
http://www.kakueki.com/ruby...

Rick DeNatale

2009/5/30 Harry Kakueki <list.push@gmail.com>:
> 2009/5/31 Rick DeNatale <rick.denatale@gmail.com>:
>> 2009/5/30 Nobuyoshi Nakada <nobu@ruby-lang.org>:

>>> ?????????

James Gray

On May 30, 2009, at 12:45 AM, Nobuyoshi Nakada wrote:

> Hi,
>
> At Sat, 30 May 2009 09:36:53 +0900,
> James Gray wrote in [ruby-talk:337899]:
>> Server Offline
>
> ?????????
>
> Though I wonder if it depends on the context, the above is
> simplest.

Thank you.

I forgot to ask for the word "Warning", which I also need. I tried to
look it up in my dictionary and think this version might be
right: ??. I'm using it with "Server Offline" as a notice.
Here's a screenshot:

http://skitch.com/jeg2/b18cq/server-offli...

Does this look OK?

Thanks again for the help.

James Edward Gray II

James Gray

On May 30, 2009, at 11:44 AM, James Gray wrote:

> On May 30, 2009, at 12:45 AM, Nobuyoshi Nakada wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> At Sat, 30 May 2009 09:36:53 +0900,
>> James Gray wrote in [ruby-talk:337899]:
>>> Server Offline
>>
>> ?????????
>>
>> Though I wonder if it depends on the context, the above is
>> simplest.
>
> Thank you.
>
> I forgot to ask for the word "Warning", which I also need. I tried
> to look it up in my dictionary and think this version might be
> right: ??. I'm using it with "Server Offline" as a notice.
> Here's a screenshot:
>
> http://skitch.com/jeg2/b18cq/server-offli...
>
> Does this look OK?

Just to be clear, the "Warning" is in the rather small browser title
there.

James Edward Gray II