multiple matches

Li Chen

5/28/2009 1:35:00 PM

Hi all,

How to find out pattern'cat' in this string='ccccatgggctacatgggtcat'
? There are three 'cat' within the string and I want to return the
position of each match.

Although # match return the match , #pre_match and #post_match do the
tricks but they only work for the first match. How about the 2nd, third
match, and more? I try #scan(pattern) but it doesn't return the
position for each match. I wonder how other handle this problem.

Thanks,

Li

matt

Li Chen <chen_li3@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I try #scan(pattern) but it doesn't return the
> position for each match. I wonder how other handle this problem.

It doesn't "return" the position but it does capture the position.

s = 'ccccatgggctacatgggtcat'
s.scan('cat') {puts Regexp.last_match.begin(0)}

The last regex match is always hanging around waiting for you to ask
about it.... Hope that helps - m.

--
matt neuburg, phd = matt@tidbits.com, http://www.tidbits...
Leopard - http://www.takecontrolbooks.com/leopard-custom...

Rob Biedenharn

On May 28, 2009, at 10:15 AM, matt neuburg wrote:

> Li Chen <chen_li3@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> I try #scan(pattern) but it doesn't return the
>> position for each match. I wonder how other handle this problem.
>
> It doesn't "return" the position but it does capture the position.
>
> s = 'ccccatgggctacatgggtcat'
> s.scan('cat') {puts Regexp.last_match.begin(0)}
>
> The last regex match is always hanging around waiting for you to ask
> about it.... Hope that helps - m.
>
> --
> matt neuburg, phd = matt@tidbits.com, http://www.tidbits...
> Leopard - http://www.takecontrolbooks.com/leopard-custom...
> AppleScript - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/...
> Read TidBITS! It's free and smart. http://www.t...

irb> s
=> "ccccatgggctacatgggtcat"
irb> pos = []
=> []
irb> while x = s.index('cat', (pos.last||-1)+1)
irb> pos << x
irb> end
=> nil
irb> pos
=> [3, 12, 19]

String#index is the way to go. The second arg is the position to start
looking for a match. [].last==nil so it is a small trick to make the
first loop test pass a 0 or 1 more than the previous match position.

-Rob

Rob Biedenharn http://agileconsult...
Rob@AgileConsultingLLC.com

botp

On Thu, May 28, 2009 at 9:34 PM, Li Chen <chen_li3@yahoo.com> wrote:
> How to find out pattern'cat' =A0in this string=3D'ccccatgggctacatgggtcat'
> ? There are three 'cat' within the string and I want to =A0return =A0the =
position of each match.

there is String#index.
there is no indexes, but you can build one if you like

eg,

=3D> "ccccatgggctacatgggtcat"
> class String
> def indexes str, n=3D0
> n=3Dindex( str, n)
> if n
> [n] + indexes( str, n+=3D1)
> else
> []
=3D> nil
> s.indexes "cat"
=3D> [3, 12, 19]

the faster way is to loop, but i just want to test my recursion skill ;)

best regards
-botp

tirebiter

duke <duckgumbo32@cox.net> wrote in

> On 02 Feb 2013 15:53:03 GMT, tirebiter <dontspamme@bigfoot.com> wrote:
>
>>duke <duckgumbo32@cox.net> wrote in

>>> Then background checks should be required for those that buy knives
>>> cutlery at the mall. Hammers too.
>>>
>>> You are an idiot.
>
>>Again with this failed comparison?
>>When kitchen knives are used as intended, food is prepared. When
>>hammers are used as intended, nails are driven into wood. When guns
>>are used as intended people die.
>
> Oh, since when? Guns are used for hunting and self defense. Illegal
> use of a gun, hammer or steak knife is the issue. You lose.

The valid point is that kitchen knives have a productive use, unrelated
to commiting crimes. Guns can only be used to shoot bullets, and that
is often during the commision of a crime. You're just being obtuse.

>>That's why registration is needed for every gun, to see who is
>>responsible when they are used to kill people, as they are intended to
>>do. And background checks are needed to reduce the occurances of
>>those killings.
>
> You idiot, stolen guns are used to murder, not registered guns.

All the more reason to crack down on unregistered guns. Glad you're
seeing it my way.

>>I thought you just posted that you have undergone such background
>>checks. Were you lying about that?
>
> No. It took about 20 minutes after I filled out the computer
> information. Do you actually think they seek details like for a
> security clearance with exact address history, references, jobs and
> salary or medical records, etc?

I think background checks should be more detailed then they currently
are. Particularly in the case of people being treated with
psychological conditions. It's sort of the honor system that a person
will intentionally destroy their own chances of getting the gun if they
answer truthfully.

Every submission should be checked for accuracy.

>>I thought christians are all about the 10 commandments, and the "shall
>>not kill" one in particular. How does not wanting an environment
>>safer from gun deaths not a part of that?
>
> My guns help keep my environment safe. The liberals have you
> confused.

So you don't believe the commandments are in effect all the time. It's
good you finally admit it.

>>You are the idiot.
>
> Haahaahaa.
>
> The dukester, American - American
> You can't fix stupid.

And you are the walking embodiment of your sig.

---
a.a. #2273

tirebiter

Jason@nospam.com (Jason) wrote in

> In article <XnsA15DB60AEAD3Adontspammebigfootcom@74.209.131.10>,
> tirebiter <dontspamme@bigfoot.com> wrote:
>
>> Jason@nospam.com (Jason) wrote in

>> > Or the gun is used to shoot at a target. You are an idiot if you
>> > think that all guns that have been made were used to kill people.
>> >
>> > Most people that presently own guns have NEVER killed anyone.
>> >

>> No Jason. You are the idiot. A gun with bullets in it is how people
>> get shot.
>>
>> Your non-stat about "most people" still doesn't explain the amazingly
>> high number people who die from gunshots every year.
>>
>> But those responsible gun owners aren't the problem. They're the
>> ones who also are in favor of gun registration and background checks.
>>
>> Your own home state of Virginia was polled last week and 92% of
>> respondents, including gun owners expressed a strong desire for
>> stricter gun control.
>>
>> ---
>> a.a. #2273
>
> I now agree that everyone that wants to buy a gun should get
> background checks. However, even VP Biden admitted that new gun
> control laws would NOT reduce the number of deaths due to firearms.
> Biden probably knows that criminals and gang bangers will still be
> able to buy guns on the black market.
>
> Did you know that most of the current shooters of young children were
> taking psychiatric medications.
>
> Visit the Citizens Commission on Human Rights websites for the
> details.
>
> It lists the name of the shooters and the types of psychiatric
> medications they were taking.

And Jason argues agaisnt his own point again. These are all reasons to
enact stricter gun control.

---
a.a. #2273

Devils Advocaat

On 5 Feb, 13:33, duke <duckgumb...@cox.net> wrote:
> On Mon, 4 Feb 2013 21:09:38 -0800 (PST), Devils Advocaat <mankygo...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

> >On 4 Feb, 23:31, Ja...@nospam.com (Jason) wrote:

> >> I now agree that everyone that wants to buy a gun should get background
> >> checks. However, even VP Biden admitted that new gun control laws would
> >> NOT reduce the number of deaths due to firearms. Biden probably knows that
> >> criminals and gang bangers will still be able to buy guns on the black
> >> market.
>
> >> Did you know that most of the current shooters of young children were
> >> taking psychiatric medications.
>
> >> Visit the Citizens Commission on Human Rights websites for the details.
> >> It lists the name of the shooters and the types of psychiatric medications
> >> they were taking.
> >So are you suggesting all people on psychiatric meds are criminals?
>
> Strawman.
>
> >Or that all criminals are on psychiatric meds?
>
> Another strawman.

Poor duke, I'm merely trying to get Jason to clarify what he means.

> The dukester, American - American
> You can't fix stupid.

Jason

In article <XnsA15E830B44B7Adontspammebigfootcom@74.209.131.10>, tirebiter
<dontspamme@bigfoot.com> wrote:

> Jason@nospam.com (Jason) wrote in
>
> > In article <XnsA15DB60AEAD3Adontspammebigfootcom@74.209.131.10>,
> > tirebiter <dontspamme@bigfoot.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Jason@nospam.com (Jason) wrote in

> >> No Jason. You are the idiot. A gun with bullets in it is how people
> >> get shot.
> >>
> >> Your non-stat about "most people" still doesn't explain the amazingly
> >> high number people who die from gunshots every year.
> >>
> >> But those responsible gun owners aren't the problem. They're the
> >> ones who also are in favor of gun registration and background checks.
> >>
> >> Your own home state of Virginia was polled last week and 92% of
> >> respondents, including gun owners expressed a strong desire for
> >> stricter gun control.
> >>
> >> ---
> >> a.a. #2273
> >
> > I now agree that everyone that wants to buy a gun should get
> > background checks. However, even VP Biden admitted that new gun
> > control laws would NOT reduce the number of deaths due to firearms.
> > Biden probably knows that criminals and gang bangers will still be
> > able to buy guns on the black market.
> >
> > Did you know that most of the current shooters of young children were
> > taking psychiatric medications.
> >
> > Visit the Citizens Commission on Human Rights websites for the
> > details.
> >
> > It lists the name of the shooters and the types of psychiatric
> > medications they were taking.
> >

> And Jason argues agaisnt his own point again. These are all reasons to
> enact stricter gun control.
>
> ---
> a.a. #2273

If the new gun control laws do not reduce the murder rate, why enact new
gun control laws?

Jason

In article
<58c73343-e20e-451b-b5be-b9e87ef670b0@e11g2000vbv.googlegroups.com>,
Devils Advocaat <mankygoat7@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 5 Feb, 13:33, duke <duckgumb...@cox.net> wrote:
> > On Mon, 4 Feb 2013 21:09:38 -0800 (PST), Devils Advocaat
<mankygo...@gmail.com>
> > wrote:

> > >So are you suggesting all people on psychiatric meds are criminals?
> >
> > Strawman.
> >
> > >Or that all criminals are on psychiatric meds?
> >
> > Another strawman.
>
> Poor duke, I'm merely trying to get Jason to clarify what he means.
> >
> > The dukester, American - American
> > You can't fix stupid.

I want you to clarify what you mean. Biden claims the new gun control laws
will not reduce the murder rate. If he is correct, why bother enacting new
gun control laws.

> In article <XnsA15E830B44B7Adontspammebigfootcom@74.209.131.10>,
> tirebiter <dontspamme@bigfoot.com> wrote:
>
>> Jason@nospam.com (Jason) wrote in

>> > I now agree that everyone that wants to buy a gun should get
>> > background checks. However, even VP Biden admitted that new gun
>> > control laws would NOT reduce the number of deaths due to firearms.
>> > Biden probably knows that criminals and gang bangers will still be
>> > able to buy guns on the black market.
>> >
>> > Did you know that most of the current shooters of young children
>> > were taking psychiatric medications.
>> >
>> > Visit the Citizens Commission on Human Rights websites for the
>> > details.
>> >
>> > It lists the name of the shooters and the types of psychiatric
>> > medications they were taking.
>> >

>> And Jason argues agaisnt his own point again. These are all reasons
>> to enact stricter gun control.
>>
>> ---
>> a.a. #2273
>
> If the new gun control laws do not reduce the murder rate, why enact
> new gun control laws?

Who says it won't? And it's what you want. The new laws are designed
to eliminate the so-called "black market". With fewer illegal guns out
there, the legal gun owners will have less to worry about.

It's win-win all around.

---

> In article
> <58c73343-e20e-451b-b5be-b9e87ef670b0@e11g2000vbv.googlegroups.com>,
> Devils Advocaat <mankygoat7@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 5 Feb, 13:33, duke <duckgumb...@cox.net> wrote:
>> > On Mon, 4 Feb 2013 21:09:38 -0800 (PST), Devils Advocaat
> <mankygo...@gmail.com>

> tirebiter

> trustworthy. That

> provides ample

> knives

> you think

> stricter

> knows that

> medications
>> >
>> > Strawman.

>> > Another strawman.
>>
>> Poor duke, I'm merely trying to get Jason to clarify what he means.
>> >
>> > The dukester, American - American
>> > You can't fix stupid.
>
> I want you to clarify what you mean. Biden claims the new gun control
> laws will not reduce the murder rate. If he is correct, why bother
> enacting new gun control laws.

That is a lie. Joe Biden never said that. Either post a verbatim quote
of him saying exactly those words, or admit you lied.

---
a.a. #2273