comp.lang.c++

compiler front-end

vaib

11/18/2008 5:16:00 PM

hi all ,

I am willing to write a compiler front-end for my semester
project . I am studying compilers in my present semester and I am
following the Dragon Book for the theory and Allen I. Holub's Compiler
Design in C for the _actual stuff_ .
.. Although I must admit that as of now I am not able to make out
much out of Holub's book since I am not through with the theory yet
but I have come to understand that it would be much easier to go
through it once I complete the theory . As of now I am almost done
with the front-end theory and so I want to design a compiler front-end
( lexer and parser ) .
Now there are certain issues that i am facing . First of all,
I need to have a grammar so that I would know what all terminals
( tokens ) I have to use . This would be required for the design of
the lexer . Having the grammar would also solve many issues regarding
the parser too .
Can anyone suggest me a simple context-free grammar ? I'd
highly appreciate it . I would also stick to this thread for any other
issues that I face while designing the front-end .
Thanking in anticipation . Vaib .