comp.lang.python

rstrip error python2.4.3 not in 2.5.1?

Dirk Bollen

I wrote some python code that retrieves urls from a txt file. In this
code I use .rstrip() for removing the '\n' at the end of every url.
While this code works on my mac (leopard) with python 2.5.1, this same
code fails to work on an ubuntu server with python 2.4.3

I was wondering if there is a problem with .rstrip() in that python
version?

error :
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "delgraph.py", line 62, in ?
url_metadata = d.get_url(site.rstrip())
7 Answers

Terry Reedy

"dirkheld" <dirkheld@gmail.com> wrote in message
| Hi,
|
| I wrote some python code that retrieves urls from a txt file. In this
| code I use .rstrip() for removing the '\n' at the end of every url.
| While this code works on my mac (leopard) with python 2.5.1, this same
| code fails to work on an ubuntu server with python 2.4.3
|
| I was wondering if there is a problem with .rstrip() in that python
| version?
|
| error :
| Traceback (most recent call last):
| File "delgraph.py", line 62, in ?
| url_metadata = d.get_url(site.rstrip())
| --

What is the actual error message [SyntaxError, NameError? etc] that you
clipped?

subeen

rstrip() works fine in python 2.4.3. May be the problem lies in
somewhere else.

I tried it in FC6 with Python 2.4.3:
>>> url = "abc.com\n"
>>> url.rstrip()
'abc.com'

regards,
Subeen.
http://love-python.blo...

On Feb 29, 2:30 am, dirkheld <dirkh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I wrote some python code that retrieves urls from a txt file. In this
> code I use .rstrip() for removing the '\n' at the end of every url.
> While this code works on my mac (leopard) with python 2.5.1, this same
> code fails to work on an ubuntu server with python 2.4.3
>
> I was wondering if there is a problem with .rstrip() in that python
> version?
>
> error :
> Traceback (most recent call last):
> File "delgraph.py", line 62, in ?
> url_metadata = d.get_url(site.rstrip())

Dirk Bollen

> What is the actual error message [SyntaxError, NameError? etc] that you
> clipped?

Here it is : I tought that I didn't matter because the deliciousapi
worked fine on my mac.

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "delgraph.py", line 62, in ?
url_metadata = d.get_url(site.rstrip())
File "deliciousapi.py", line 269, in get_url
document.bookmarks =
self._extract_bookmarks_from_url_history(data)
File "deliciousapi.py", line 297, in
_extract_bookmarks_from_url_history
timestamp = datetime.datetime.strptime(month_string, '%b &lsquo;
%y')
AttributeError: type object 'datetime.datetime' has no attribute
'strptime'

Philipp Pagel

dirkheld <dirkheld@gmail.com> wrote:

> Here it is : I tought that I didn't matter because the deliciousapi
> worked fine on my mac.

> Traceback (most recent call last):
> File "delgraph.py", line 62, in ?
> url_metadata = d.get_url(site.rstrip())
> File "deliciousapi.py", line 269, in get_url
> document.bookmarks =
> self._extract_bookmarks_from_url_history(data)
> File "deliciousapi.py", line 297, in
> _extract_bookmarks_from_url_history
> timestamp = datetime.datetime.strptime(month_string, '%b &lsquo;
> %y')
> AttributeError: type object 'datetime.datetime' has no attribute
> 'strptime'

The answer is right there: datetime.datetime has method strptime in
python 2.5 but which was not available in 2.4. A quick look into the
library reference confirms this:

strptime( date_string, format)
Return a datetime corresponding to date_string, parsed according to format.
This is equivalent to datetime(*(time.strptime(date_string, format)[0:6])).
ValueError is raised if the date_string and format can't be parsed by
time.strptime() or if it returns a value which isn't a time tuple.

New in version 2.5.

cu
Philipp

--
Dr. Philipp Pagel
Lehrstuhl f. Genomorientierte Bioinformatik

Tim Roberts

dirkheld <dirkheld@gmail.com> wrote:

>> What is the actual error message [SyntaxError, NameError? etc] that you
>> clipped?
>
>Here it is : I tought that I didn't matter because the deliciousapi
>worked fine on my mac.
>
>Traceback (most recent call last):
> File "delgraph.py", line 62, in ?
> url_metadata = d.get_url(site.rstrip())
> File "deliciousapi.py", line 269, in get_url
> document.bookmarks = self._extract_bookmarks_from_url_history(data)
> File "deliciousapi.py", line 297, in
>_extract_bookmarks_from_url_history
> timestamp = datetime.datetime.strptime(month_string, '%b &lsquo;
>%y')
>AttributeError: type object 'datetime.datetime' has no attribute
>'strptime'

I suppose it is cruel of me, but I find it hilarious that you looked at
this traceback and came to the conclusion that the problem was in "rstrip".
--
Tim Roberts, timr@probo.com
Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.

Ben Cramer

<flaviaR@verizon.net> wrote in message

> On 22-Nov-2008, The tragedy of balding men with long hair
> <goofindoo@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Nov 21, 10:41 am, flav...@verizon.net wrote:

>> > They don't have to hit us to be a danger to us ---

>> > -- & you have to think at least a little outside your box.
>> >
>> > It would be nice if diplomacy would work.
>> > Do you really think it will? Has it so far?
>> >
>> > Susan
>>
>> Susan, I see you as someone who is easily frightened.
>>
> It's in your interests to do so, so, yes, I'm sure you do.
>
>> We don't need to invade other countries to make ourselves safe.
>
> Did I say we did?
>
>> In
>> fact, such actions won't make us safer, as many intelligence experts
>> have concluded.
>
> Which ones?

Scheuer for one. Most of 'em actually.

Shumbawumba

flaviaR@verizon.net wrote:
> On 22-Nov-2008, The tragedy of balding men with long hair
> <goofindoo@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Nov 21, 10:41 am, flav...@verizon.net wrote:

>>> They don't have to hit us to be a danger to us ---

>>> -- & you have to think at least a little outside your box.
>>>
>>> It would be nice if diplomacy would work.
>>> Do you really think it will? Has it so far?
>>>
>>> Susan
>> Susan, I see you as someone who is easily frightened.
>>
> It's in your interests to do so, so, yes, I'm sure you do.
>
>> We don't need to invade other countries to make ourselves safe.
>
> Did I say we did?
>
>> In
>> fact, such actions won't make us safer, as many intelligence experts
>> have concluded.
>
> Which ones?
>
>> We need to do only two things: protect our borders
>> and ports; and be a better world neighbor. We've become the neighbor
>> who throws wild parties with guests crashing into neighboring houses,
>> and throwing our trash everywhere. No wonder people hate us.
>
> And I see you as someone with an extremely limited viewpoint.
>
> Susan
moslem cartoon character mohammad and his bumchum allaah were child
molesting goat fuckers and nikomaks

_
/'_/)
,/_ /
/ /
/'_'/' '/'__'7,
/'/ / / /" /_ ('( ' /' ')
\ /
'\' _.7'
\ (
\
Up your ass mohammad - Elif air ab tizak!!!

info@muslimmatch.com or apache@muslimmatch.com or
politicsIranian@googlegroups.com
Achmat.Samsodien@gmail.com
fahmi@telkomsa.net