Inserting a counter into a .each loop

Brian Bush

5/24/2009 6:42:00 PM

I've got a loop that iterates through a string like so:

string.each_byte do |f|

...do something with f.chr

end

I would like to use a counter variable in this loop. I know I can add
'.with_index' but I need more control than that. I need a counter
variable in
this loop with state I can set when some condition is met and that will
persist through each iteration.
Does anyone know if this is possible? Thank you.

MK

string = "hello world"
x = 0
string.each_byte do |c|
x+=1
end
puts x

Tim Hunter

Brian Bush wrote:
> I've got a loop that iterates through a string like so:
>
> string.each_byte do |f|
>
> ...do something with f.chr
>
> end
>
> I would like to use a counter variable in this loop. I know I can add
> '.with_index' but I need more control than that. I need a counter
> variable in
> this loop with state I can set when some condition is met and that will
> persist through each iteration.
> Does anyone know if this is possible? Thank you.

What's wrong with

x = 0
string.each_byte do |f|
x += 1

RMagick: http://rmagick.ruby...

MK

Tim Hunter wrote:

> What's wrong with
>
> x = 0
> string.each_byte do |f|
> x += 1
> end

Clearly my method is better here Tim.

Tim Hunter

Mk 27 wrote:
> Tim Hunter wrote:
>
>> What's wrong with
>>
>> x = 0
>> string.each_byte do |f|
>> x += 1
>> end
>
> Clearly my method is better here Tim.

Maybe somebody should do a benchmark. :-)

--
RMagick: http://rmagick.ruby...