Ruby/Odeum

Ken Bloom

5/22/2009 5:09:00 PM

I'm looking to use an inverted index for Ruby. There used to be Zed
Shaw's Ruby/odeum that did this using QDBM's inverted index API. I can
find references to this all over the web, unfortuntely but the original
site is gone and I can't find any mirrors.

Can anybody help me out?

http://www.iit.edu...

7 Answers

Robert Dober

On Fri, May 22, 2009 at 7:08 PM, Ken Bloom <kbloom@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm looking to use an inverted index for Ruby. There used to be Zed
> Shaw's Ruby/odeum that did this using QDBM's inverted index API. I can
> find references to this all over the web, unfortuntely but the original
> site is gone and I can't find any mirrors.
>
> Can anybody help me out?
If not maybe you would care to explain what is an inverted index please ;).

--=20
Toutes les grandes personnes ont d=92abord =E9t=E9 des enfants, mais peu
d=92entre elles s=92en souviennent.

All adults have been children first, but not many remember.

[Antoine de Saint-Exup=E9ry]

Jens Wille

hi ken!

Ken Bloom [2009-05-22 19:08]:
> I'm looking to use an inverted index for Ruby. There used to be
> Zed Shaw's Ruby/odeum that did this using QDBM's inverted index
> API. I can find references to this all over the web, unfortuntely
> but the original site is gone and I can't find any mirrors.
you can find the project page on the internet archive [1] and the
gem on rubyforge (gem install ruby_odeum). is that what you're after?

[1]
<http://web.archiv...*/http://www.zedshaw.com/projects/ruby_...

cheers
jens

--
Jens Wille, Dipl.-Bibl. (FH)
prometheus - Das verteilte digitale Bildarchiv für Forschung & Lehre

Jeremy Hinegardner

On Sat, May 23, 2009 at 02:08:34AM +0900, Ken Bloom wrote:
> I'm looking to use an inverted index for Ruby. There used to be Zed
> Shaw's Ruby/odeum that did this using QDBM's inverted index API. I can
> find references to this all over the web, unfortuntely but the original
> site is gone and I can't find any mirrors.
>
> Can anybody help me out?

Don't forget about Ferret. http://ferret.davebalmai...

Also If you can wait a week or so, I'm working on a preliminary ruby interface
to Tokyo Dystopia.

http://tokyocabinet.sourceforge.net/dy...

enjoy,

-jeremy

Jeremy Hinegardner jeremy@hinegardner.org

Robert Dober

On Fri, May 22, 2009 at 10:56 PM, Ken Bloom <kbloom@gmail.com> wrote:
Ty Ken, I was completely fixed on "internet indices".
Now that I know I follow the thread with interest :)
R.

Ken Bloom

On Sat, 23 May 2009 05:51:59 +0900, Jens Wille wrote:

> hi ken!
>
> Ken Bloom [2009-05-22 19:08]:
>> I'm looking to use an inverted index for Ruby. There used to be Zed
>> Shaw's Ruby/odeum that did this using QDBM's inverted index API. I can
>> find references to this all over the web, unfortuntely but the original
>> site is gone and I can't find any mirrors.
> you can find the project page on the internet archive [1] and the gem on
> rubyforge (gem install ruby_odeum). is that what you're after?
>
> [1]
> <http://web.archiv...*/http://www.zedshaw.com...
ruby_odeum/>

> cheers
> jens

Unfortunately they don't mirror the actual gems.

In the end I found that version 0.2.1 is on Rubyforge (somewhere -- a
search on the website didn't find a project responsible for maintining
it, but I found the gem in RubyGems), and I somehow got my hands on an
0.4 gem which I have mirrored at http://www.iit.edu... for the
time being, until I find something better to do with it.

--Ken

http://www.iit.edu...

John W Higgins

Ken,

On Sat, May 23, 2009 at 9:08 PM, Ken Bloom <kbloom@gmail.com> wrote:

> Unfortunately they don't mirror the actual gems.
>
> In the end I found that version 0.2.1 is on Rubyforge (somewhere -- a
> search on the website didn't find a project responsible for maintining
> it, but I found the gem in RubyGems), and I somehow got my hands on an
> 0.4 gem which I have mirrored at http://www.iit.edu/~kbloom1/<http://www.iit.edu/%7Ekbloo... the
> time being, until I find something better to do with it.

Zed still has all the software on his web site - just no links into it

http://www.zedshaw.com/downloads/ruby_odeum/ruby_odeum-0.4...

the gem is here

http://www.zedshaw.com/downloads/ruby_odeum/ruby_odeum...

Google REALLY is your friend.

John

Jens Wille

Ken Bloom [2009-05-24 06:08]:
> On Sat, 23 May 2009 05:51:59 +0900, Jens Wille wrote:
>> you can find the project page on the internet archive
> Unfortunately they don't mirror the actual gems.
well, they do. if you go to the latest page [1] (Dec 31, 2007 ) and
follow the "download a gem" link for the latest release (0.4.1) you
get [2].

[1]
<http://web.archive.org/web/20071231083816/http://www.zedshaw.com/projects/ruby_...
[2]