Shop Fox W1666 2 HP 1550 CFM Dust Collector

Aluise

5/22/2009 12:20:00 PM

Price:$345.00
Image: http://ultradiscountfinder.info/image.php?id=...
Best deal: http://ultradiscountfinder.info/index.php?id=...

I picked up the Shop Fox dust collector for $199 on sale and it was a steal at that price. It is very powerful and meets all the needs of a small woodworking shop. I replaced the standard 30 micron bags with 2.5 micron bags and added a cyclonic trash collector before it hits the impeller. I also added a radio controlled switch so that I just press a button on a fob like you have for your car alarm. That starts and stops the system from across the shop.

There are other great collectors out there but you have to pay some big dinero for them. This machine reprresents the right combination of value, durability, reliability, and performance. With a little customization and tweaking, you won't find a better deal for a small shop.
I bought mine about 3 years ago and have been very happy with it.

Assembly went well, except it was missing a square rubber gasket at the top of the blower housing. I called the distributor, and a new one arrived within a few days. I ran 6" duct work throughout my shop, with 4" drops to my tools. The blower provides plenty of suction for all my needs. I also installed a trash can pre-separator for my planer, since it would fill the bags really fast otherwise.

One problem, and the reason for only 4 stars, is that the inlet to the blower housing came installed with a sheet metal cross to (apparently) reinforce the opening. Larger shavings can easily get trapped there, and quickly plug the inlet. I took some tin snips and removed the sheet metal cross, and have not had it plug up since (in 3 years of use).

I highly recommend you also buy Grizzly's H5397 remote control at the same time. It's designed to work with 220, and comes with TWO remotes (not just one, like most other remote controls). I keep one on my bench, and other clipped to my shop apron. The remotes come with clip, for just that purpose.
I have the Shop Fox 1.5 hp, 1280 cfm unit and am very happy with it. I have 1 4" line dedicated to my cabinet saw and one line loose to go to my jointer or shaper as needed. The unit, with a 2.5 micron bag works great and make me happy I did not buy the Grizzly. Make sure u get the remote control an 2 blast gates with it.
This is an outstanding product. It was easy to assemble with good fit and finish. If you select this modle, it would be a good idea to evaluate the assembly process before starting. The manual has you assemble the motor bracket to the motor housing before attaching the motor and blower to cart. However the manual is adequate with easy to understand instructions. Shop Fox provides all the necessary metric tools. Daving your own metric socket set will reduce the assembly time.

Good product.
After looking at many of the others in this marketplace, I found the Shop Fox. After closley inspecting the quality and workmanship vs the others, given the price differential I felt that there was not much difference between them. I purchased this unit. It was well packaged, and all the parts were included. The hardware package was complete with more than enough bolts, washers and nuts for the job. Assembly instructions were clear, and it went together in about an hour. The only annoying thing was the straps for the filter bags which unlike the Delta machine, do not have springs to create the tension needed to clip them shut. However, after a bit of fiddling, I was able to get them to work.Operationally, it is very effective, moves a lot of air, and really keeps the chips and dust down. I'd recommend using a trash trap ahead of the blower assembly to catch larger bits of wood, especially if you're using it on a tool that makes larger chips and chunks. It's noisy, natually, but works well, and I'm very satisfied with the performance. I'd also strongly suggest the use of either blast gate switches or a remote 220 switch. Walking over to turn it on and off is a pain. Shop Fox makes a remote switch for about $45 which is GREAT! Just add it to the cost of the unit. You'll be glad you did. After 6 months of almost daily use, it's working just fine.Enjoy. BTW, I also have a SF 10" Cabinet saw that I simply love...undoubtedly the best bang for the buck out there.
A powerful new dust collector from Shop Fox! This unit features a 12" steel impeller and has a 2 HP motor that runs on 220V.

SIMILAR PRODUCTS:

Jet JW1044 4-Inch to 2-1/2-Inch Reducer:http://ultradiscountfinder.info/index.php?id=...
Jet JW1015 4-Inch Y-Fitting Dust Hose Connector:http://ultradiscountfinder.info/index.php?id=...
Jet JW1007 4-Inch Blastgate:http://ultradiscountfinder.info/index.php?id=...