comp.lang.c++

Shell Access with C++ Recommendations

xander.grespesky

11/16/2008 12:16:00 AM

hi all,

I'm looking for recommendations for unix "shell access" services that
provide a c++ compiler (gcc or intel). free would be preferable.
basically i'm looking at testing out some networking related code over
the internet.
any suggestion will be greatly appreciated.

-xander
18 Answers

Sam

xander.grespesky@gmail.com writes:

> hi all,
>
> I'm looking for recommendations for unix "shell access" services that
> provide a c++ compiler (gcc or intel). free would be preferable.
> basically i'm looking at testing out some networking related code over
> the internet.
> any suggestion will be greatly appreciated.

Install Linux on a spare machine. Now you have your own "shell access".

xander.grespesky

> Install Linux on a spare machine. Now you have your own "shell access".

That's a really dumb answer Sam, obviously i have a few boxes I'm
playing with locally. But looking at the caliber of your past post

G Kettleborough

On 16/11/08 00:16, xander.grespesky@gmail.com wrote:
> hi all,
>
> I'm looking for recommendations for unix "shell access" services that
> provide a c++ compiler (gcc or intel). free would be preferable.
> basically i'm looking at testing out some networking related code over
> the internet.
> any suggestion will be greatly appreciated.
>

> -xander

The only free shell I am aware of is: http://silenceisd...

You have to pay a token $1 or something small by paypal but then it is
free after that. I've had mine for a few years now. Their main box is
OpenBSD. It's quite slow, though, and with load averages between 5 and 6
so not suitable for compiling large applications.

There are plenty of pay for shells available and if you want a decent
speed then you're probably going to have to "shell out".

--
George Kettleborough

Obnoxious User

http://www.bs...

http://www.red-pill.eu/free...

--
OU
Remember 18th of June 2008, Democracy died that afternoon.

James Kanze

On Nov 16, 1:16 am, xander.grespe...@gmail.com wrote:

> I'm looking for recommendations for unix "shell access"
> services that provide a c++ compiler (gcc or  intel). free
> would be preferable. basically i'm looking at testing out
> some networking related code over the internet.

I'm not sure what you mean by "shell access" services. C++ has
a standard function, system() which allows invoking another
program. This program can be a shell, and on Unix based
machines, it will be a shell---Posix requires that system()
invoke a shell to interpret the command, but you'll have to see
your compiler documentation to find out what it actually does.

The only real problem is that the shell commands aren't really
portable. Still, Unix look-alikes abound, and there are a
number of Unix-like tool kits for Windows, so if you use a set
of Unix commands (not from the latest Posix standard, but
something a bit older), you can obtain a limited amount of
portability, sufficient for many uses.

Erik Wikström

On 2008-11-16 01:16, xander.grespesky@gmail.com wrote:
> hi all,
>
> I'm looking for recommendations for unix "shell access" services that
> provide a c++ compiler (gcc or intel). free would be preferable.
> basically i'm looking at testing out some networking related code over
> the internet.
> any suggestion will be greatly appreciated.

sdf.lonestar.org

--
Erik Wikström

Sam

xander.grespesky@gmail.com writes:

>> Install Linux on a spare machine. Now you have your own "shell access".
>>

> That's a really dumb answer Sam, obviously i have a few boxes I'm
> playing with locally. But looking at the caliber of your past post

If you already have "a few boxes", then you have no need for a unix "shell
access" services in order to test "out some networking related code over the
internet". I manage to develop quite a bit of "networking related code" this
way, just fine. And I don't really need the other machines at all.
"Networking related code" can be built and tested on a single machine, just
fine. So, who's the real the dummy, around here?

Erik Wikström

On 2008-11-16 15:44, Sam wrote:
> xander.grespesky@gmail.com writes:
>

>>> Install Linux on a spare machine. Now you have your own "shell access".
>>>

>> That's a really dumb answer Sam, obviously i have a few boxes I'm
>> playing with locally. But looking at the caliber of your past post
>
> If you already have "a few boxes", then you have no need for a unix "shell
> access" services in order to test "out some networking related code over the
> internet". I manage to develop quite a bit of "networking related code" this
> way, just fine. And I don't really need the other machines at all.
> "Networking related code" can be built and tested on a single machine, just
> fine. So, who's the real the dummy, around here?

While it is possible to simulate stuff like latency, low bandwidth, low
MTU, etc. using stuff like dummynet or such no amount of simulation can
replace running live in the intended environment. Believing anything
else just shows who the "real dummy" is.

--
Erik Wikström

xander.grespesky

On Nov 15, 11:53 pm, George Kettleborough
<g.kettleboro...@member.fsf.org> wrote:
> The only free shell I am aware of is:http://silenceisd...
>
> You have to pay a token $1 or something small by paypal but then it is
> free after that. I've had mine for a few years now. Their main box is
> OpenBSD. It's quite slow, though, and with load averages between 5 and 6
> so not suitable for compiling large applications.

I'll check that out, thanks for the recommendation.

> There are plenty of pay for shells available and if you want a decent
> speed then you're probably going to have to "shell out".

I'd be willing to fork-out a bit depedning on the level of service and
available tools. Do you have any specfic providers in mind?

-xander

xander.grespesky

On Nov 16, 12:24 am, Obnoxious User <O...@127.0.0.1> wrote:
> http://www.bs...

I'll give it a try.

> http://www.red-pill.eu/free...

alot of the links here that have the term c++ seem to be dead or have
moved on.

-xander