w00t! Party for Gregory!

pat eyler

5/21/2009 3:43:00 PM

> On May 20, 2009, Gregory Brown wrote:
> > On Wed, May 20, 2009, Juan Zanos <juan_zanos@talkhouse.com> wrote:

> > So you have better designs compared to those who seek further conciseness in
> > a language. If only those folks of poor ability could design so well as
> > you.

> That's right. I'm pretty awesome. Maybe RubyTalk can throw a party
> in honor of me!

I say we do it. We should all celebrate Greg's awesomeness. Wherever you
are, take 5 minutes to party wildly and think of Greg.

--
thanks,
-pate

http://on-ruby.bl...
http://eldersjournal.bl...

11 Answers

James Gray

On May 21, 2009, at 10:42 AM, pat eyler wrote:

>> On May 20, 2009, Gregory Brown wrote:
>>> On Wed, May 20, 2009, Juan Zanos <juan_zanos@talkhouse.com> wrote:
>
>>> So you have better designs compared to those who seek further
>>> conciseness in
>>> a language. If only those folks of poor ability could design so
>>> well as
>>> you.
>
>> That's right. I'm pretty awesome. Maybe RubyTalk can throw a
>> party
>> in honor of me!
>

> I say we do it. We should all celebrate Greg's awesomeness.
> Wherever you are, take 5 minutes to party wildly and think of Greg.

I did, but the cops came and arrested me. Please come bail me out. ;)

James Edward Gray II

Jamey Cribbs

On Thu, May 21, 2009 at 11:42 AM, pat eyler <pat.eyler@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On May 20, 2009, Gregory Brown wrote:
>> > On Wed, May 20, 2009, Juan Zanos <juan_zanos@talkhouse.com> wrote:
>
>> > So you have better designs compared to those who seek further concisen=
ess in
>> > a language. =A0If only those folks of poor ability could design so wel=
l as
>> > you.
>
>> That's right. =A0 I'm pretty awesome. =A0 Maybe RubyTalk can throw a par=
ty
>> in honor of me!
>

> I say we do it. =A0We should all celebrate Greg's awesomeness. =A0Whereve=
r you
> are, take 5 minutes to party wildly and think of Greg.

I just danced around my office in honor of Greg wearing nothing but a
party hat and a smile, but that's just how I roll.

Jamey

pat eyler

On Thu, May 21, 2009 at 9:47 AM, James Gray <james@grayproductions.net> wro=
te:

>>> That's right. =A0 I'm pretty awesome. =A0 Maybe RubyTalk can throw a pa=
rty
>>> in honor of me!
>>

>> I say we do it. =A0We should all celebrate Greg's awesomeness. =A0Wherev=
er you
>> are, take 5 minutes to party wildly and think of Greg.
>
> I did, but the cops came and arrested me. =A0Please come bail me out. =A0=
;)

I hope this wasn't your one phone call, 'cuz I'm probably not going to be
able to make it out there for a while. ;^)

> James Edward Gray II

--=20
thanks,
-pate
-------------------------
Don't judge those who choose to sin differently than you do

http://on-ruby.bl...
http://eldersjournal.bl...

Juan Zanos

On May 21, 2009, at 11:50 AM, Jamey Cribbs wrote:

> On Thu, May 21, 2009 at 11:42 AM, pat eyler <pat.eyler@gmail.com>
> wrote:

>>> That's right. I'm pretty awesome. Maybe RubyTalk can throw a
>>> party
>>> in honor of me!
>>

>> I say we do it. We should all celebrate Greg's awesomeness.
>> Wherever you
>> are, take 5 minutes to party wildly and think of Greg.
>

> I just danced around my office in honor of Greg wearing nothing but a
> party hat and a smile, but that's just how I roll.
>
> Jamey

My dance was space delimited and only took a few seconds. Perhaps
that was too concise. Would a better designed dance with larger
vertical leaps have been more appropriate?

Joel VanderWerf

Juan Zanos wrote:
> My dance was space delimited and only took a few seconds. Perhaps that
> was too concise. Would a better designed dance with larger vertical
> leaps have been more appropriate?

I refactored my dance into short but reusable steps ;)

Gregory Brown

On Thu, May 21, 2009 at 1:07 PM, Juan Zanos <juan_zanos@talkhouse.com> wrot=
e:

> My dance was space delimited and only took a few seconds. =A0Perhaps that=
was
> too concise. =A0 Would a better designed dance with larger vertical leaps=
have
> been more appropriate?

Ahahaha, no that is perfect. Thanks for the laugh :)

-greg

Tim Pease

On Thu, May 21, 2009 at 9:42 AM, pat eyler <pat.eyler@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On May 20, 2009, Gregory Brown wrote:
>> > On Wed, May 20, 2009, Juan Zanos <juan_zanos@talkhouse.com> wrote:
>
>> > So you have better designs compared to those who seek further concisen=
ess in
>> > a language. =A0If only those folks of poor ability could design so wel=
l as
>> > you.
>
>> That's right. =A0 I'm pretty awesome. =A0 Maybe RubyTalk can throw a par=
ty
>> in honor of me!
>

> I say we do it. =A0We should all celebrate Greg's awesomeness. =A0Whereve=
r you
> are, take 5 minutes to party wildly and think of Greg.

Tim Pease

On Thu, May 21, 2009 at 9:42 AM, pat eyler <pat.eyler@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On May 20, 2009, Gregory Brown wrote:
>> > On Wed, May 20, 2009, Juan Zanos <juan_zanos@talkhouse.com> wrote:
>
>> > So you have better designs compared to those who seek further concisen=
ess in
>> > a language. =C2=A0If only those folks of poor ability could design so =
well as
>> > you.
>
>> That's right. =C2=A0 I'm pretty awesome. =C2=A0 Maybe RubyTalk can throw=
a party
>> in honor of me!
>

> I say we do it. =C2=A0We should all celebrate Greg's awesomeness. =C2=A0W=
herever you
> are, take 5 minutes to party wildly and think of Greg.

=E2=9E=99 cat party.rb

class Party
@@styles =3D [
'Party, Greg, Party!!',
'Dance, Greg, Dance!!',
'Woot!!!',
'Wild Dancing Greg Party!',
'--< Chunky Bacon >--'
]

def for_greg
puts @@styles.at(rand(@@styles.length))
end

def party( time )
start =3D Time.now
Thread.new {
loop {
self.for_greg
break if Time.now-start >=3D time
}
}

300.times {
unless fork
Party.new.party(1)
end
}

Process.waitall

puts %q(That's right. I'm pretty awesome. Maybe RubyTalk can throw a
party in honor of me!)

Tim Pease

On Thu, May 21, 2009 at 1:03 PM, Tim Pease <tim.pease@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> That's right. =C2=A0 I'm pretty awesome. =C2=A0 Maybe RubyTalk can thro=
w a party
>>> in honor of me!
>>

>> I say we do it. =C2=A0We should all celebrate Greg's awesomeness. =C2=A0=
Wherever you
>> are, take 5 minutes to party wildly and think of Greg.
>>

> =E2=9E=99 cat party.rb
>
> class Party
> =C2=A0@@styles =3D [
> =C2=A0 =C2=A0'Party, Greg, Party!!',
> =C2=A0 =C2=A0'Dance, Greg, Dance!!',
> =C2=A0 =C2=A0'Woot!!!',
> =C2=A0 =C2=A0'Wild Dancing Greg Party!',
> =C2=A0 =C2=A0'--< Chunky Bacon >--'
> =C2=A0]
>
> =C2=A0def for_greg
> =C2=A0 =C2=A0puts @@styles.at(rand(@@styles.length))
> =C2=A0end
>
> =C2=A0def party( time )
> =C2=A0 =C2=A0start =3D Time.now
> =C2=A0 =C2=A0Thread.new {
> =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0loop {
> =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0self.for_greg
> =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0break if Time.now-start >=3D time
> =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0}
> =C2=A0 =C2=A0}
> =C2=A0end
> end
>

> 300.times {
> =C2=A0unless fork
> =C2=A0 =C2=A0Party.new.party(1)
> =C2=A0end
> }
>
> Process.waitall
>
> puts %q(That's right. I'm pretty awesome. Maybe RubyTalk can throw a
> party in honor of me!)

Hmmm ... I just created an infinitely spawning script! Need an exit!
after the "Party.new.party(1)" line; otherwise each forked child will
drop through back into the 300.times loop and start the process all
over again.

<sigh>

My efforts at humor are wrought with bugs. More coffee is needed.

TwP

Robert Dober

On Thu, May 21, 2009 at 5:47 PM, James Gray <james@grayproductions.net> wro=
te:

>>> That's right. =A0 I'm pretty awesome. =A0 Maybe RubyTalk can throw a pa=
rty
>>> in honor of me!
>>

>> I say we do it. =A0We should all celebrate Greg's awesomeness. =A0Wherev=
er you
>> are, take 5 minutes to party wildly and think of Greg.
>
> I did, but the cops came and arrested me. =A0Please come bail me out. =A0=
;)
No way we do not need excellent coders and nice guys like you!!!!
Sorry James.
--=20
Toutes les grandes personnes ont d=92abord =E9t=E9 des enfants, mais peu
d=92entre elles s=92en souviennent.

All adults have been children first, but not many remember.

[Antoine de Saint-Exup=E9ry]