[ANN] snailgun-1.0.2

Brian Candler

5/21/2009 10:21:00 AM

New experimental project:

Snailgun accelerates the startup of Ruby applications which require
large numbers of libraries. It's especially beneficial for TDD with
Rails apps, since the overhead of loading all the Rails libraries is
essentially eliminated.

Works only on Linux/BSD systems.

For more info see:
http://github.com/candler...

Roger Pack

> Works only on Linux/BSD systems.
>
> For more info see:
> http://github.com/candler...

I assume it just loads the libs then forks off processes on demand?
Nice. You kind of could make a windows compat one--it would just have
to start a process in the background (on deck) each time it's run,
something like that.
Nice.
-=r

Brian Candler

Roger Pack wrote:
> I assume it just loads the libs then forks off processes on demand?
> Nice. You kind of could make a windows compat one--it would just have
> to start a process in the background (on deck) each time it's run,
> something like that.

As well as fork(), I am passing open file descriptors for
stdin/stdout/stderr across a Unix domain socket. So if there were a
Windows version, I don't think it would have very much in common with
this one :-)

Roger Pack

> As well as fork(), I am passing open file descriptors for
> stdin/stdout/stderr across a Unix domain socket. So if there were a
> Windows version, I don't think it would have very much in common with
> this one :-)

Interesting. I suppose TCP sockets would work with doze...
-=r

Brian Candler

Roger Pack wrote:
> Interesting. I suppose TCP sockets would work with doze...

But you can't pass a file descriptor across a TCP socket - so you would
have to proxy (and multiplex) stdin, stdout and stderr across the socket
as well. It would become a sort of remote ruby shell service, in which
case it should probably use an existing remote shell protocol like rsh
or ssh, so at least the client side is standard.

It's probably doable, but would be a lot more complex than snailgun.

Ryan Davis

On May 21, 2009, at 04:45 , Roger Pack wrote:

>> Works only on Linux/BSD systems.
>>
>> For more info see:
>> http://github.com/candler...
>
> I assume it just loads the libs then forks off processes on demand?
> Nice. You kind of could make a windows compat one--it would just have
> to start a process in the background (on deck) each time it's run,
> something like that.

I'm sure Brian would be happy to accept patches.

Ryan Davis

On May 21, 2009, at 03:21 , Brian Candler wrote:

> New experimental project:
>
> Snailgun accelerates the startup of Ruby applications which require
> large numbers of libraries. It's especially beneficial for TDD with
> Rails apps, since the overhead of loading all the Rails libraries is
> essentially eliminated.
>
> Works only on Linux/BSD systems.
>
> For more info see:
> http://github.com/candler...

this looks great and could save my team a lot of time collectively.
when will it become a real gem?

Brian Candler

Ryan Davis wrote:
> this looks great and could save my team a lot of time collectively.
> when will it become a real gem?

What's a "real gem"? Do you mean one hosted on rubyforge?

Ben Bleything

On Thu, May 21, 2009 at 12:34 PM, Brian Candler <b.candler@pobox.com> wrote:
> What's a "real gem"? Do you mean one hosted on rubyforge?

I can't speak for Ryan but that's my definition. This would be huge for me too.

Ben

Brian Candler

Ben Bleything wrote:
> I can't speak for Ryan but that's my definition. This would be huge for
> me too.

I only had to type "gem sources -a http://gems.github... as a one-off,
and that didn't seem like a big stumbling block to me. But since it
matters to people, I've now requested a rubyforge project.

Ben Bleything

On Thu, May 21, 2009 at 1:18 PM, Brian Candler <b.candler@pobox.com> wrote:
> I only had to type "gem sources -a http://gems.github... as a one-off,
> and that didn't seem like a big stumbling block to me. But since it
> matters to people, I've now requested a rubyforge project.

It's not big, no, but it's still a stumbling block. Also, I don't
want to have to figure out or remember your username to install your
gem, I just want to be able to say gem install snailgun.

Ben