comp.lang.python

Documentation - which format

Jumping Arne

2/26/2008 10:48:00 PM

I'm considering using plain text file for documenting certain things (nothing
to do with Python) and I'm looking at different "formatting systems" ...
preferable with a python implementation to render the text at least as HTML -
preferable also other formats like LaTeX.

So far I've found

+ Markdown
+ reST (the web site at sourceforge doesn't seem to have been updated
since 2006)

Are there any other I should look at?

6 Answers

Ben Finney

Jumping Arne <arnlen@mac.com> writes:

> I'm considering using plain text file for documenting certain things
> (nothing to do with Python) and I'm looking at different "formatting
> systems" ... preferable with a python implementation to render the
> text at least as HTML - preferable also other formats like LaTeX.

Your needs are met amply with reStructuredText. It's still under
active development, and in fact the 'python-odtwriter' package (that's
its name in GNU/Linux, anyway) adds a third useful rendering, ODF Text
(the format used by OpenOffice.org Writer).

I find reStructuredText quite powerful; just about any sensible
document structure I've needed can be implemented, and the result is
still quite readable as plain text. It also helps that there is good
support for it in both Emacs and Vim, with the right plugins.

--
\ "I put contact lenses in my dog's eyes. They had little |
`\ pictures of cats on them. Then I took one out and he ran around |

Jumping Arne

On Wed, 27 Feb 2008 05:51:11 +0100, Ben Finney wrote
(in article <87k5krdmtc.fsf@benfinney.id.au>):

> Your needs are met amply with reStructuredText. It's still under
> active development

is http://docutils.source... still the official site (I didn't find
anything else)

Ben Finney

Jumping Arne <arnlen@mac.com> writes:

> On Wed, 27 Feb 2008 05:51:11 +0100, Ben Finney wrote
> (in article <87k5krdmtc.fsf@benfinney.id.au>):
>
> > Your needs are met amply with reStructuredText. It's still under
> > active development
>
> is http://docutils.source... still the official site (I
> didn't find anything else)

Yes, TTBOMK. The site hasn't been updated for a while, but I follow
the mailing list and activity continues on the code itself.

--
\ â??Holy hole in a donut, Batman!â? â??Robin |
`\ |

Gerard Flanagan

On Feb 26, 11:47 pm, Jumping Arne <arn...@mac.com> wrote:
> I'm considering using plain text file for documenting certain things (nothing
> to do with Python) and I'm looking at different "formatting systems" ...
> preferable with a python implementation to render the text at least as HTML -
> preferable also other formats like LaTeX.
>
> So far I've found
>
> + Markdown
> + reST (the web site at sourceforge doesn't seem to have been updated
> since 2006)
>
> Are there any other I should look at?

Definitely ReST. See http://...

Gerard

Christian Heimes

Ben Finney wrote:
> Yes, TTBOMK. The site hasn't been updated for a while, but I follow
> the mailing list and activity continues on the code itself.

Python 2.6 and newer are using reST for documentation, see
http://docs.pytho...

Christian

Wildemar Wildenburger

grflanagan@gmail.com wrote: