comp.lang.c++

how to call an inherited, template class constructor from initializer list of an inheriting, non-template class constructor

l.s.rockfan@web.de

11/14/2008 8:29:00 PM

Hello,

how do i have to call an inherited, templated class constructor from the
initializer list of the inheriting, non-templated class constructor?

example code:

template<typename T>
class A
{
protected:
sometype* something;
T something_else; /*gives the template some sense here*/
public:
A(sometype* param) : something(param) {};
}

class B : public A<int>
{
public:
B(sometype* param) : A(param) {}; // <== Compiler Error

/* further member functions */
}

The compiler always tries to identify A as a member variable not being
found, instead of the base class' constructor.
11 Answers

The Trucker

On Sun, 15 Jun 2008 12:21:09 -0700, znuybv wrote:

> On Jun 10, 10:21 pm, The Trucker <mik...@verizon.net> wrote:

>> > What alternatives?

>> > And just how many will that help? And who does it help in the summer
>> > when no one is using heating oil?
>>
>> > Windfall profit tax on the oil companies will not make one difference
>> > in what we pay for energy.
>>
>> Well, the proposed tax a rebate scheme will not reduce gas prices in the
>> next 2 weeks. And that is just about as far ahead as a Republican is going
>> to look. That's not true of course when it comes to drilling the ANWR.
>> They are perfectly willing to wait 10 years for that solution to reduce
>> gas prices.
>>
>> --
> Don't have to wait ten years. Drill here; drill now.
> Grow corn, wheat and rice. Eat it.

If the ANWR was opened for drilling today it would be a minimum of 6
years before any oil was on the market according to all the oil supporters
there are. Most put it at 8 - 10 years to achieve 1 million barrels a day.

According to this report: http://alga...
In 8 - 10 years biodiesel from algae can provide enough liquid fuel to run
all the vehicles in the entire USA.

Why screw around with the ANWR. In the interim Ethanol from sugar cane
is a stone cold winner. All you got to do is quit the foaming at the
mouth about Castro and allow free trade with Cuba and Brazil.

http://blogs.tampabay.com/energy/2006/11/cubas_suga...

But maybe Castro would not sell?

http://www.autobloggreen.com/2007/03/30/cuban-president-fidel-castro-slams-the-u-s-for-their-u...

Yet: http://www.biodiesel.com.a... --------------------------

On the other hand, we remember what was also already expressed, that
Venezuela and Cuba signed an agreement on February 28th of 2007,
dedicating 278.000 additional hectares to the sowing of sugar cane and to
invest l.500 millions dollars in the installation of eleven industrial
plants to produce ethanol in Venezuela.

So the USA puts a 58 cent tax on each gallon of biodiesel from Brazil.

We don't have "free markets". We have fascism. Republicans and oil
companies doing all they can to maintain their power. And perhaps the
Democrats trying to empower the corn farmers. Why not stop all the
political crap, do away with the protectionism, do this:

http://www.greatervoice.o...

And let the market ROLL.

--
"I know no safe depository of the ultimate powers
of society but the people themselves; and

The Trucker

On Sun, 15 Jun 2008 14:13:26 -0500, kim wrote:

> .
>>
>>> Do you honestly believe any
>>> additional "windfall" taxes would be used wisely?
>>
>>Yeah, provided it was structured by Congress that way.
>>
> Then you are dreaming. I do not believe most of the people in
> Congress can resist pork even if you are standing behind them with a
> cattle prod.

The notion that taxes are tied to spending has been utterly refuted by
every Republican institution since 1980. They simply make their own
"pork", and spend it on imperialism and oil company handouts.

>>> You are also saying that you are OK with your 38% tax rate on your
>>> million dollar profit and are perfectly happy with paying 50-60%
>>> should you be able to make a billion dollars in profit?
>>
>>Yeah, I'm fine with it. See my signature.
>>
> The only two people I see giving billions are Gates and Buffet. My
> guess; they do not mind the taxes they are paying nor their donations
> because 1 billion in their pockets vs. 50 billion cannot possibly
> change their lives materially. If you are truly willing to pay more
> taxes to help socially, put your money where your mouth is. Let's see
> a whopping donation (commensurate to your wealth) from you to a
> charitable foundation.
>
> This goes back to the guy who was trying to convince me that he would
> accept the same salary to head a million dollar corporation vs. a
> billion dollar co. - assuming he has the qualifications. I would
> find that highly incredulous. Money changes everybody.

You really have no clue. Progressive income taxes do not change the
behavior of high income people and do not change the productive economy in
the first instance. The secondary effects are also stimulative so long as
the proceeds of the tax are not simply wasted om imperialism or outright
welfare. AT present, a tax on supper high incomes would be best used to
pump up the Social Security system as that would be, in effect, a
paydown of the public portion of the national debt.

But again, the Republicans have show all of us that taxes are totally
decoupled from spending. They have shown it in every Republican facet of
government for the last 30 years.

--

That link was supposed to be http://www.greatervoi...

--
"I know no safe depository of the ultimate powers
of society but the people themselves; and
if we think them not enlightened enough to
exercise their control with a wholesome
discretion, the remedy is not to take it from
them, but to inform their discretion by
education." - Thomas Jefferson
http://GreaterVoice....

znuybv

On Jun 15, 5:46 pm, The Trucker <mik...@verizon.net> wrote:
> On Sun, 15 Jun 2008 12:21:09 -0700,znuybvwrote:

> >> Well, the proposed tax a rebate scheme will not reduce gas prices in the
> >> next 2 weeks. And that is just about as far ahead as a Republican is going
> >> to look. That's not true of course when it comes to drilling the ANWR.
> >> They are perfectly willing to wait 10 years for that solution to reduce
> >> gas prices.
>
> >> --
> > Don't have to wait ten years. Drill here; drill now.
> > Grow corn, wheat and rice. Eat it.
>
> If the ANWR was opened for drilling today it would be a minimum of 6
> years before any oil was on the market according to all the oil supporters
> there are. Most put it at 8 - 10 years to achieve 1 million barrels a day.

"See it's like Earl says, if we plan ahead we don't have to do
anything right now."

> According to this report:http://alga...
> In 8 - 10 years biodiesel from algae can provide enough liquid fuel to run
> all the vehicles in the entire USA.
>
> Why screw around with the ANWR. In the interim Ethanol from sugar cane
> is a stone cold winner. All you got to do is quit the foaming at the
> mouth about Castro and allow free trade with Cuba and Brazil.

Why not screw around with ANWR? There's billions of barrels of oil
there.

> http://blogs.tampabay.com/energy/2006/11/cubas_suga...
>
> But maybe Castro would not sell?
>
> http://www.autobloggreen.com/2007/03/30/cuban-president-fid......
>
> Yet:http://www.biodiesel.com.ar/en/?p=21----------------...
>
> On the other hand, we remember what was also already expressed, that
> Venezuela and Cuba signed an agreement on February 28th of 2007,
> dedicating 278.000 additional hectares to the sowing of sugar cane and to
> invest l.500 millions dollars in the installation of eleven industrial
> plants to produce ethanol in Venezuela.
>
> So the USA puts a 58 cent tax on each gallon of biodiesel from Brazil.
>
> We don't have "free markets". We have fascism. Republicans and oil
> companies doing all they can to maintain their power. And perhaps the
> Democrats trying to empower the corn farmers. Why not stop all the
> political crap, do away with the protectionism, do this:
>
> http://www.greatervoice.o...
>
> And let the market ROLL.
>
> --

I think the Democrats are screwing the people. Oil companies supply
us with oil; Democrats supply us with nothing. I would trust the oil
companies before I would trust politicians, especially Democrats.

The Trucker

On Mon, 16 Jun 2008 14:34:08 -0700, znuybv wrote:

> On Jun 15, 5:46 pm, The Trucker <mik...@verizon.net> wrote:

>> > Don't have to wait ten years. Drill here; drill now.
>> > Grow corn, wheat and rice. Eat it.
>>
>> If the ANWR was opened for drilling today it would be a minimum of 6
>> years before any oil was on the market according to all the oil supporters
>> there are. Most put it at 8 - 10 years to achieve 1 million barrels a day.
>>
> "See it's like Earl says, if we plan ahead we don't have to do
> anything right now."

8 years to get ANWR up to 1 million barrels a day. 6 years to get much
less per day. If it were producing right now it would lower gas prices by
2.5 cents at the pump. Woooptie doooo!

>> According to this report:http://alga...
>> In 8 - 10 years biodiesel from algae can provide enough liquid fuel to run
>> all the vehicles in the entire USA.
>>
>> Why screw around with the ANWR. In the interim Ethanol from sugar cane
>> is a stone cold winner. All you got to do is quit the foaming at the
>> mouth about Castro and allow free trade with Cuba and Brazil.
>>
> Why not screw around with ANWR? There's billions of barrels of oil
> there.

Yes. According to some estimates estimates there are 10.4 billion barrels
but we can only suck it out at 1 million barrels a day. Any way you want
to turn this thing it isn't as good a deal as OTHER INVESTMENTS.

>> http://blogs.tampabay.com/energy/2006/11/cubas_suga...
>>
>> But maybe Castro would not sell?
>>
>> http://www.autobloggreen.com/2007/03/30/cuban-president-fid......
>>
>> Yet:http://www.biodiesel.com.ar/en/?p=21----------------...
>>
>> On the other hand, we remember what was also already expressed, that
>> Venezuela and Cuba signed an agreement on February 28th of 2007,
>> dedicating 278.000 additional hectares to the sowing of sugar cane and
>> to invest l.500 millions dollars in the installation of eleven
>> industrial plants to produce ethanol in Venezuela.
>>
>> So the USA puts a 58 cent tax on each gallon of biodiesel from Brazil.
>>
>> We don't have "free markets". We have fascism. Republicans and oil
>> companies doing all they can to maintain their power. And perhaps the
>> Democrats trying to empower the corn farmers. Why not stop all the
>> political crap, do away with the protectionism, do this:
>>
>> http://www.greatervoice.o...
>>
>> And let the market ROLL.
>>
>> --
>>
> I think the Democrats are screwing the people. Oil companies supply us
> with oil; Democrats supply us with nothing. I would trust the oil
> companies before I would trust politicians, especially Democrats.

The oil companies and the Republicans owe us 3 trillion for the (#%$#%^*&
Iraq crap. Please add it to your gas bill.

--

On Jun 16, 2:48 pm, The Trucker <mik...@verizon.net> wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Jun 2008 14:34:08 -0700, znuybv wrote:

> >> If the ANWR was opened for drilling today it would be a minimum of 6
> >> years before any oil was on the market according to all the oil supporters
> >> there are. Most put it at 8 - 10 years to achieve 1 million barrels a day.
>
> > "See it's like Earl says, if we plan ahead we don't have to do
> > anything right now."
>
> 8 years to get ANWR up to 1 million barrels a day. 6 years to get much
> less per day. If it were producing right now it would lower gas prices by
> 2.5 cents at the pump. Woooptie doooo!
>
> >> According to this report:http://alga...
> >> In 8 - 10 years biodiesel from algae can provide enough liquid fuel to run
> >> all the vehicles in the entire USA.
>
> >> Why screw around with the ANWR. In the interim Ethanol from sugar cane
> >> is a stone cold winner. All you got to do is quit the foaming at the
> >> mouth about Castro and allow free trade with Cuba and Brazil.
>
> > Why not screw around with ANWR? There's billions of barrels of oil
> > there.
>
> Yes. According to some estimates estimates there are 10.4 billion barrels
> but we can only suck it out at 1 million barrels a day. Any way you want
> to turn this thing it isn't as good a deal as OTHER INVESTMENTS.
>

> >>http://blogs.tampabay.com/energy/2006/11/cubas_suga...
>
> >> But maybe Castro would not sell?
>
> >>http://www.autobloggreen.com/2007/03/30/cuban-president-fid......
>
> >> Yet:http://www.biodiesel.com.ar/en/?p=21----------------...
>
> >> On the other hand, we remember what was also already expressed, that
> >> Venezuela and Cuba signed an agreement on February 28th of 2007,
> >> dedicating 278.000 additional hectares to the sowing of sugar cane and
> >> to invest l.500 millions dollars in the installation of eleven
> >> industrial plants to produce ethanol in Venezuela.
>
> >> So the USA puts a 58 cent tax on each gallon of biodiesel from Brazil.
>
> >> We don't have "free markets". We have fascism. Republicans and oil
> >> companies doing all they can to maintain their power. And perhaps the
> >> Democrats trying to empower the corn farmers. Why not stop all the
> >> political crap, do away with the protectionism, do this:
>
> >>http://www.greatervoice.o...
>
> >> And let the market ROLL.
>
> >> --
>
> > I think the Democrats are screwing the people. Oil companies supply us
> > with oil; Democrats supply us with nothing. I would trust the oil
> > companies before I would trust politicians, especially Democrats.
>
> The oil companies and the Republicans owe us 3 trillion for the (#%$#%^*&
> Iraq crap. Please add it to your gas bill.
>
> --

Why did so many Democrats vote for the Iraq crap?
Were you a fan of Saddam Hussein?

The Trucker

On Mon, 16 Jun 2008 15:07:18 -0700, znuybv wrote:

> On Jun 16, 2:48 pm, The Trucker <mik...@verizon.net> wrote:

>> > "See it's like Earl says, if we plan ahead we don't have to do
>> > anything right now."
>>
>> 8 years to get ANWR up to 1 million barrels a day. 6 years to get much
>> less per day. If it were producing right now it would lower gas prices by
>> 2.5 cents at the pump. Woooptie doooo!

>> > Why not screw around with ANWR? There's billions of barrels of oil
>> > there.
>>
>> Yes. According to some estimates estimates there are 10.4 billion barrels
>> but we can only suck it out at 1 million barrels a day. Any way you want
>> to turn this thing it isn't as good a deal as OTHER INVESTMENTS.

>> > I think the Democrats are screwing the people. Oil companies supply us
>> > with oil; Democrats supply us with nothing. I would trust the oil
>> > companies before I would trust politicians, especially Democrats.
>>
>> The oil companies and the Republicans owe us 3 trillion for the (#%$#%^*&
>> Iraq crap. Please add it to your gas bill.
>>
>> --
>>
> Why did so many Democrats vote for the Iraq crap?

The MAJORITY did not. And now we have the Iraq hostage crises as Bush
holds the troops hostage.

On Jun 16, 3:31 pm, The Trucker <mik...@verizon.net> wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Jun 2008 15:07:18 -0700,znuybvwrote:

> >> 8 years to get ANWR up to 1 million barrels a day. 6 years to get much
> >> less per day. If it were producing right now it would lower gas prices by
> >> 2.5 cents at the pump. Woooptie doooo!

> >> Yes. According to some estimates estimates there are 10.4 billion barrels
> >> but we can only suck it out at 1 million barrels a day. Any way you want
> >> to turn this thing it isn't as good a deal as OTHER INVESTMENTS.

> >> The oil companies and the Republicans owe us 3 trillion for the (#%$#%^*&
> >> Iraq crap. Please add it to your gas bill.
>
> >> --
>
> > Why did so many Democrats vote for the Iraq crap?
>
> The MAJORITY did not. And now we have the Iraq hostage crises as Bush
> holds the troops hostage.
>
> > Were you a fan of Saddam Hussein?
>
> --
Why did so many Democrats vote for the Iraq war resolution?
There were sixteen reasons in the resolution. Can you give me one
that you know of?

Obnoxious User

On Fri, 14 Nov 2008 21:28:53 +0100, l.s.rockfan@web.de wrote:

> Hello,
>
> how do i have to call an inherited, templated class constructor from the
> initializer list of the inheriting, non-templated class constructor?
>
> example code:
>

> template<typename T>
> class A
> {
> protected:
> sometype* something;
> T something_else; /*gives the template some sense here*/
> public:
> A(sometype* param) : something(param) {};
> }
>

> class B : public A<int>
> {
> public:
> B(sometype* param) : A(param) {}; // <== Compiler Error

B(sometype * param) : A<int>(param) {}

--
OU
Remember 18th of June 2008, Democracy died that afternoon.

l.s.rockfan@web.de

Obnoxious User wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Nov 2008 21:28:53 +0100, l.s.rockfan@web.de wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> how do i have to call an inherited, templated class constructor from the
>> initializer list of the inheriting, non-templated class constructor?
>>
>> example code:
>>

>> template<typename T>
>> class A
>> {
>> protected:
>> sometype* something;
>> T something_else; /*gives the template some sense here*/
>> public:
>> A(sometype* param) : something(param) {};
>> }
>>

>> class B : public A<int>
>> {
>> public:
>> B(sometype* param) : A(param) {}; // <== Compiler Error
>>

> B(sometype * param) : A<int>(param) {}

Thanks.

Mysterious, it really works.

All the time I tried it before, I coded it outside the class body like

B::B(sometype* param) : A<int>(param) {}

and it didn't work because of an ld error.

When I move it inside the class body (like in my example code above) it
works.

Could someone explain this behaviour to me, please?