Correctly Style of SQL Formatting in Ruby Cude

rilindo foster

5/20/2009 6:07:00 PM

Is there a correct style of putting in SQL statements in Ruby? My SQL
statements tend to go around 200-400 columns, which looks *very* ugly.
--
Rilindo Foster
AOL Instant Messenger: rilindo

2 Answers

Phlip

rilindo foster wrote:
> Is there a correct style of putting in SQL statements in Ruby? My SQL
> statements tend to go around 200-400 columns, which looks *very* ugly.

A> use ActiveRecord, or one of the other SQL generators

B> this:

SELECT FROM users
WHERE is_premier = 1
AND charge_at > NOW()

Notice that all SQL keywords are in UPCASE, just for emphasis, and there's a
vertical gutter in the 6th relative column. The SQL books advocate that gutter,
I think.

Also, if you have 200-400 column strings, you need to get more DRY. That leads
back to ActiveRecord...

rilindo foster

Active Record looks interest. I'll need to look into that. Thanks!

In other news, this question made it to the top of Google's search
results. . . and I just noticed that I mis-spelled "code". :|

On Wed, May 20, 2009 at 2:55 PM, Phlip <phlip2005@gmail.com> wrote:
> rilindo foster wrote:
>>
>> Is there a correct style of putting in SQL statements in Ruby? My SQL
>> statements tend to go around 200-400 columns, which looks *very* ugly.
>
> A> use ActiveRecord, or one of the other SQL generators
>
> B> this:
>
> =A0 =A0SELECT FROM users
> =A0 =A0 WHERE is_premier =3D 1
> =A0 =A0 =A0 AND charge_at > NOW()
>
> Notice that all SQL keywords are in UPCASE, just for emphasis, and there'=
s a
> vertical gutter in the 6th relative column. The SQL books advocate that
> gutter, I think.
>
> Also, if you have 200-400 column strings, you need to get more DRY. That
> leads back to ActiveRecord...

--=20