Beginner question pt.2

Calvin

5/19/2009 3:34:00 AM

When I type this into the terminal it works... but I am wondering if I
am going about things the right way:

$ /opt/local/bin/ruby1.9 -v

$ cd

$ cd Desktop

$ cd programs

$ ruby1.9 calc.rb

then the math equation answer from calc.rb shows up in the terminal.
Am I correct in thinking that ruby 1.9.1 is the ruby that is working
and not ruby 1.8.6?

Thank you for your time,

Calvin Stephens
7 Answers

Robert Klemme

On 19.05.2009 05:33, Calvin wrote:
> When I type this into the terminal it works... but I am wondering if I
> am going about things the right way:
>
> $ /opt/local/bin/ruby1.9 -v
>
> $ cd
>
> $ cd Desktop
>
> $ cd programs
>
> $ ruby1.9 calc.rb
>
> then the math equation answer from calc.rb shows up in the terminal.
> Am I correct in thinking that ruby 1.9.1 is the ruby that is working
> and not ruby 1.8.6?

It's likely but program names can be changed arbitrarily. If you want
to be sure you can easily find out by entering

ruby1.9 -v

Kind regards

robert

http://blog.rubybestprac...

Calvin

On May 18, 11:15 pm, Robert Klemme <shortcut...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> On 19.05.2009 05:33, Calvin wrote:
>

> > When I type this into the terminal it works... but I am wondering if I
> > am going about things the right way:
>
> > $ /opt/local/bin/ruby1.9 -v
>
> > $ cd
>
> > $ cd Desktop
>
> > $ cd programs
>
> > $ ruby1.9 calc.rb
>
> > then the math equation answer from calc.rb shows up in the terminal.
> > Am I correct in thinking that ruby 1.9.1 is the ruby that is working
> > and not ruby 1.8.6?
>
> It's likely but program names can be changed arbitrarily.  If you want
> to be sure you can easily find out by entering
>
> ruby1.9 -v
>
> Kind regards
>
>         robert
>
> --
> remember.guy do |as, often| as.you_can - without endhttp://blog.rubybestpract... Hide quoted text -

Thanks Robert!

When I type in Ruby1.9 -v i get: ruby 1.9.1p129 with some other text.

Calvin

On May 19, 5:39 am, Calvin <cstephe...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On May 18, 11:15 pm, Robert Klemme <shortcut...@googlemail.com> wrote:
>

> > On 19.05.2009 05:33, Calvin wrote:
>
> > > When I type this into the terminal it works... but I am wondering if I
> > > am going about things the right way:
>
> > > $ /opt/local/bin/ruby1.9 -v
>
> > > $ cd
>
> > > $ cd Desktop
>
> > > $ cd programs
>
> > > $ ruby1.9 calc.rb
>
> > > then the math equation answer from calc.rb shows up in the terminal.
> > > Am I correct in thinking that ruby 1.9.1 is the ruby that is working
> > > and not ruby 1.8.6?
>
> > It's likely but program names can be changed arbitrarily.  If you want
> > to be sure you can easily find out by entering
>
> > ruby1.9 -v
>
> > Kind regards
>
> >         robert
>
> > --
> > remember.guy do |as, often| as.you_can - without endhttp://blog.rubybestpractices... quoted text -

> Thanks Robert!
>
> When I type in Ruby1.9 -v   i get: ruby 1.9.1p129 with some other text.- Hide quoted text -

I am also wondering if I could just type this into my terminal to get
ruby1.9 to run a ruby file:

$ cd

$ cd Desktop

$ cd programs

$ ruby1.9 calc.rb

Is this correct or incorrect?

Thanks for your time,

Calvin

Martin DeMello

On Tue, May 19, 2009 at 6:50 PM, Calvin <cstephens4@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am also wondering if I could just type this into my terminal to get
> ruby1.9 to run a ruby file:
>
> $ cd
> $ cd Desktop
> $ cd programs
> $ ruby1.9 calc.rb
>
> Is this correct or incorrect?

Yes, that's correct, as long as ruby1.9 is in your path.

Also you can say cd ~/Desktop/programs rather than three separate cds.
And don't miss tab completion, if you're using bash.

martin

Calvin

On May 19, 6:36 am, Martin DeMello <martindeme...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, May 19, 2009 at 6:50 PM, Calvin <cstephe...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I am also wondering if I could just type this into my terminal to get
> > ruby1.9 to run a ruby file:
>
> > $ cd
> > $ cd Desktop
> > $ cd programs
> > $ ruby1.9 calc.rb
>
> > Is this correct or incorrect?
>
> Yes, that's correct, as long as ruby1.9 is in your path.
>
> Also you can say cd ~/Desktop/programs rather than three separate cds.
> And don't miss tab completion, if you're using bash.
>
> martin

Hi Martin,

I am using bash... what is "tab completion" and how do I do it?

MK

Calvin wrote:
> On May 19, 6:36�am, Martin DeMello <martindeme...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Yes, that's correct, as long as ruby1.9 is in your path.
>>
>> Also you can say cd ~/Desktop/programs rather than three separate cds.
>> And don't miss tab completion, if you're using bash.
>>
>> martin
>
> Hi Martin,
>
> I am using bash... what is "tab completion" and how do I do it?

Start typing enough of the directory name, and by pressing tab bash will
finish it for you -- if what you have is enough to identify it uniquely.

For example, if you are in /home/me and you want to get to
scripts/ruby/tests, try "cd scr" don't press return, press tab and scr
will expand to scripts, then "/ru" and do the same thing, then "/te" tab
and you'll have
cd scripts/ruby/tests
now you can hit return, and all you actually typed was cd
scr[TAB]/ru[TAB]/te[TAB]

Hopefully that is clear enough...a lot of CLI (and GUI) apps use tab
completion (eg, google).

Calvin

On May 19, 9:16 am, Mk 27 <halfcountp...@intergate.com> wrote:
> Calvin wrote:
> > On May 19, 6:36 am, Martin DeMello <martindeme...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >> Yes, that's correct, as long as ruby1.9 is in your path.
>
> >> Also you can say cd ~/Desktop/programs rather than three separate cds.
> >> And don't miss tab completion, if you're using bash.
>
> >> martin
>
> > Hi Martin,
>
> > I am using bash... what is "tab completion" and how do I do it?
>
> Start typing enough of the directory name, and by pressing tab bash will
> finish it for you -- if what you have is enough to identify it uniquely.
>
> For example, if you are in /home/me and you want to get to
> scripts/ruby/tests, try "cd scr" don't press return, press tab and scr
> will expand to scripts, then "/ru" and do the same thing, then "/te" tab
> and you'll have
> cd scripts/ruby/tests
> now you can hit return, and all you actually typed was cd
> scr[TAB]/ru[TAB]/te[TAB]
>
> Hopefully that is clear enough...a lot of CLI (and GUI) apps use tab
> completion (eg, google).

That's pretty useful information! Thanks a bunch for your time!