comp.lang.python

[ANN] Shed Skin (restricted) Python-to-C++ compiler 0.0.27

Mark Dufour

2/24/2008 2:45:00 PM

Hi all,

I have just released Shed Skin 0.0.27. Thanks in large part to the
GHOP students, this new release comes with some interesting new
goodies:

- support for 're', via libpcre (perl-compatible-regular-expressions)
- support for 'time' (except for time.strptime under Windows)
- basic support for 'staticmethod' and 'property'
- support for 'fnmatch', 'glob' (bootstrapped)
- improved support for 'os' (POSIX)
- OSX support again (including extension modules!)
- many fixes for multi-dir/multi-file projects
- several builtin optimizations (zip, list(str)..)
- type model for 'datetime' (no C++ implementation yet)
- split up compiler core, ss.py, into several files
- many minor bugfixes

As for the 4 new modules (re, time, fnmatch, glob), this means Shed
Skin now supports most of the following modules:

bisect
collections
copy
fnmatch
getopt
glob
math
os
os.path
random
re
string
sys
time

I could still really use some help with implementing/bootstrapping
implementations for 'datetime' and 'socket', and further improving
'os' (especially under Windows).

Note that since the previous release we have a nice tutorial online.
It explains in detail how to install and use Shed Skin, how to use it
to build (simple) extension modules and how to combine Shed Skin with
numpy and parallel processing solutions such as Parallel Python.

Thanks,
Mark Dufour.
--
"One of my most productive days was throwing away 1000 lines of code"
- Ken Thompson

Don Phillipson

"jerry kraus" <jkraus1999@gmail.com> wrote in message

> To some extent, Hitler fed off world leaders' indifference to the fate
> of the Jews in exterminating them. They simply did not care.

It is no use asking the OP for proof of this sort of thing. All we can
point out is chronology, e.g. (1) Jews or "the Jewish problem" had
no function in any declarations of war (e.g. UK and France in
1939, Italy in 1940, Yugoslavia and Greece in 1941 etc.) and
(2) when Hitler initiated war against the two top world powers (USSR
and the USA) "the Jewish problem" of occupied Europe had no
function in Russian or American policy before 1945. Their armed
forces were too busy fighting. Their war objectives (like Britain's)
were (1) survival, (2) annihilation of Nazis and the Nazi state,
(3) restoration of prewar advantages after the war.

"The fate of the Jews" was not a war aim of any national government,
and nor was (for example) either the preservation of a united German
state after the war or the restoration of democracy for German
people. As Walter Laqueur documented, the first UN proclamation
specified genocide as a war crime and threatened trial and
punishment. This was a statement of policy but not a war aim of
any combatant. (Feeding the starving at liberation was not a
war aim either, but victorious allied armies did it, perhaps
"indifferently.")
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Rich Rostrom

"Don Phillipson" <e925@SPAMBLOCK.ncf.ca> wrote:

> The minor point (other side of the same coin) were that only Nazi Germany,
> Soviet Russia and Falangist Spain were pure dictatorships at this time
> i.e. ruled by the will of a single man...

In 1938, Nationalist Spain only controlled half
the country, and I don't know that it was ever
a one-man autocracy, even after the SCW ended.
--
The real Velvet Revolution - and the would-be hijacker.

http://originalvelvetrevo...

Jerry Kraus

On Thursday, June 26, 2014 4:10:09 PM UTC-5, Don Phillipson wrote:
> "jerry kraus" <jkraus1999@gmail.com> wrote in message

> > To some extent, Hitler fed off world leaders' indifference to the fate
>
> > of the Jews in exterminating them. They simply did not care.
>

> It is no use asking the OP for proof of this sort of thing. All we can
>
> point out is chronology, e.g. (1) Jews or "the Jewish problem" had
>
> no function in any declarations of war (e.g. UK and France in
>
> 1939, Italy in 1940, Yugoslavia and Greece in 1941 etc.) and
>
> (2) when Hitler initiated war against the two top world powers (USSR
>
> and the USA) "the Jewish problem" of occupied Europe had no
>
> function in Russian or American policy before 1945. Their armed
>
> forces were too busy fighting. Their war objectives (like Britain's)
>
> were (1) survival, (2) annihilation of Nazis and the Nazi state,
>
> (3) restoration of prewar advantages after the war.
>

> "The fate of the Jews" was not a war aim of any national government,
>
> and nor was (for example) either the preservation of a united German
>
> state after the war or the restoration of democracy for German
>
> people. As Walter Laqueur documented, the first UN proclamation
>
> specified genocide as a war crime and threatened trial and
>
> punishment. This was a statement of policy but not a war aim of
>
> any combatant. (Feeding the starving at liberation was not a
>
> war aim either, but victorious allied armies did it, perhaps
>
> "indifferently.")
>
> --
>
> Don Phillipson
>
> Carlsbad Springs
>
> (Ottawa, Canada)

You know, Don, we seem to agree here that the key problem that made Hitler dangerous was that his psychological power over his people was based on anti-Semitism and race hatred. This was what drove his territorial ambitions and made him a threat to world peace. This was why Roosevelt and Churchill realized, probably instinctively, that he was so dangerous and could never be trusted. Yet, this psychological aspect of his behavior was never really acknowledged formally, or dealt with in any practical way. Isn't this rather interesting, and very peculiar?

> . . . we seem to agree here that the key problem that made Hitler
> dangerous was that his psychological power over his people was
> based on anti-Semitism and race hatred. This was what drove his
> territorial ambitions and made him a threat to world peace.

No #1: It was Hitler's actions (Rheinland, rearmament, Sudetenland,
Austria, Bohemia) that threatened peace -- not the German constitution
or psychological relations between the Fuehrer and the German population.

No #2: As authors from Trevor-Roper to Kershaw concluded (based on
evidence), Hitler's motives were usually mixed and he was much more an
artful opportunist than a long-range strategic designer. His motives
included (1) revenge for defeat in 1918-19; (2) Aryan race theory (in
which Jews were extrinsically important (because rich and in Germany)
rather than intrinsically (doctrinally); (3) the aesthetic vision of a
German/
Aryan millennial future protected from alien threats (mainly Bolshevism
and Judaism) and generally "purified" (cf. extermination of the unfit,
mental
defectives etc.)

The trouble with this is that no direct links can be traced from Hitler's
motives (e.g. revenge for Versailles) to specific actions (e.g. the
Nazi-Soviet Pact and the invasion of Poland, e.g. Amt 4 murders.)

Secondly we must consider Hitler's administrative methods, encouraging
competition among his subordinates, so that many were keen to win
promotion by accelerating Hitlerite projects Hitler might not yet have
actually
ordered. This conformed to his Motive #3, encouraging initiative
and imagination in his young Aryan disciples -- just like (most of the
time) West Point, the Boy Scouts and today's jihadists.

> . . . this psychological aspect of his behavior was never really
> acknowledged formally, or dealt with in any practical way. Isn't
> this rather interesting, and very peculiar?

Professional soldiers tell us that Hitler's motivations (rightly or
wrongly understood) are no help in antisubmarine warfare,
air defence against bombers, or how to encounter tanks bigger
and stronger than your own tanks.
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Jerry Kraus

On Friday, June 27, 2014 2:49:38 PM UTC-5, Don Phillipson wrote:
> "jerry kraus" <jkraus1999@gmail.com> wrote in message

> > . . . we seem to agree here that the key problem that made Hitler
>
> > dangerous was that his psychological power over his people was
>
> > based on anti-Semitism and race hatred. This was what drove his
>
> > territorial ambitions and made him a threat to world peace.
>

> No #1: It was Hitler's actions (Rheinland, rearmament, Sudetenland,
>
> Austria, Bohemia) that threatened peace -- not the German constitution
>
> or psychological relations between the Fuehrer and the German population.

Well, the question is, was aggressive expansionism an inevitable consequence of the "Master Race" psychology espoused by Hitler as a means of social control of the German people? Obviously, Roosevelt and Churchill thought so.. That's why they distrusted him even before he had engaged in any actions obviously dangerous to international peace.

> No #2: As authors from Trevor-Roper to Kershaw concluded (based on
>
> evidence), Hitler's motives were usually mixed and he was much more an
>
> artful opportunist than a long-range strategic designer. His motives
>
> included (1) revenge for defeat in 1918-19; (2) Aryan race theory (in
>
> which Jews were extrinsically important (because rich and in Germany)
>
> rather than intrinsically (doctrinally); (3) the aesthetic vision of a
>
> German/
>
> Aryan millennial future protected from alien threats (mainly Bolshevism
>
> and Judaism) and generally "purified" (cf. extermination of the unfit,
>
> mental
>
> defectives etc.)

Aren't all of these motivations highly irrational and potentially pathological?

> The trouble with this is that no direct links can be traced from Hitler's
>
> motives (e.g. revenge for Versailles) to specific actions (e.g. the
>
> Nazi-Soviet Pact and the invasion of Poland, e.g. Amt 4 murders.)

Some of Hitler's actions are obviously opportunistic -- e.g., the Nazi-Soviet Pact -- others, such as Operation Barbarossa and the Jewish Holocaust are obviously consistent with his long-range goals and social control strategies for the German people.

> Secondly we must consider Hitler's administrative methods, encouraging
>
> competition among his subordinates, so that many were keen to win
>
> promotion by accelerating Hitlerite projects Hitler might not yet have
>
> actually
>
> ordered. This conformed to his Motive #3, encouraging initiative
>
> and imagination in his young Aryan disciples -- just like (most of the
>
> time) West Point, the Boy Scouts and today's jihadists.

Possibly this exaggerated the effects of his strategies and policies. Possibly not.