Nokogiri on Mediatemple gs

Enzo Rivello

5/14/2009 4:27:00 PM

Hi there!
Has anyone tried to install the Nokogiri gem on a Mediatemple
Grid-Service?

I got a function in my rails app that needs this library, and when i try
to install it i got the problem:

libxml2 is missing. try 'port install libxml2' or 'yum install libxml2'
*** extconf.rb failed ***

which isn't true, because:

xxxxx@cl02:~$ whereis libxml2
libxml2: /usr/lib/libxml2.a /usr/lib/libxml2.la /usr/lib/libxml2.so
/usr/include/libxml2

apt-get doesn't work, because sudo is disabled

so, suggestions?

Mike Dalessio

2009/5/14 Enzo Rivello <enzor@sefitalia.com>

> I got a function in my rails app that needs this library, and when i try
> to install it i got the problem:
>

> libxml2 is missing. try 'port install libxml2' or 'yum install libxml2'
> *** extconf.rb failed ***
>
> which isn't true, because:
>

> xxxxx@cl02:~$ whereis libxml2
> libxml2: /usr/lib/libxml2.a /usr/lib/libxml2.la /usr/lib/libxml2.so
> /usr/include/libxml2

If you're on Debian/Ubuntu, you'll also need to install 'libxml2-dev'

> apt-get doesn't work, because sudo is disabled
>
> so, suggestions?

mike dalessio
mike@csa.net

Enzo Rivello

Mike Dalessio wrote:
> 2009/5/14 Enzo Rivello <enzor@sefitalia.com>
>

>> xxxxx@cl02:~$ whereis libxml2
>> libxml2: /usr/lib/libxml2.a /usr/lib/libxml2.la /usr/lib/libxml2.so
>> /usr/include/libxml2
>>

> If you're on Debian/Ubuntu, you'll also need to install 'libxml2-dev'

of course, mt gs runs on debian, but still i can't use apt-get because
sudo is disabled.

anyway, i opened a ticket to ask for assistance, hope to have the answer
soon, so i'll post it here

anyway, anyone is welcome to provide a solution until then :-D

Eric Hodel

On May 14, 2009, at 09:47, Enzo Rivello wrote:

>> If you're on Debian/Ubuntu, you'll also need to install 'libxml2-dev'
>
> of course, mt gs runs on debian, but still i can't use apt-get
> because
> sudo is disabled.
>
> anyway, i opened a ticket to ask for assistance, hope to have the
> answer
> soon, so i'll post it here
>
> anyway, anyone is welcome to provide a solution until then :-D

Install libxml2 into your home directory then, and point the gem to
your custom install.

Enzo Rivello

Problem solved.

MT has a set of tuned gems, available list on :
http://gems.mediatemple.ne...

so, the issue was resolved with

gem install nokogiri --source=http://gems.media...

hope this can help :-)