comp.lang.python

Re: PHP Developer highly interested in Python (web development) with some open questions...

Steve Holden

2/24/2008 6:02:00 AM

Tamer Higazi wrote:
> Hi!
> My brother is dreaming and dying for python and swear that it is the
> ultimate killer application language.
>
> I am coding Webapplication in PHP5 and ask myself if for python are:
>
> - application frameworks like: "Zend Framework" and ezComponents
> - What is the Zope Applikation Server? Is it also a Webserver like the
> Apache or Tomcat Webserver?

You can write web servers completely in Python. There are many such, and
there are also a number of web frameworks, the two best-known being
TurboGears and Django.

> - Is there a way of Round Tripp engineering based on UML XMI Files to
> generate python files (with it's dependencies) ????

I'll let the UML users answer this one, but UML is certainly supported,
and quite a few commercial tools are starting to support Python.

> - Let us assume, I want to write a Web application in Python (what I did
> now in PHP5) and want to distribute my work under commercial usage.
>
> Can I encrypt my work and generate Licence Files for Customers who would
> purchase my End-Sollution like with:
>
> - Zend Encoder
> - IonCube
> - SourceGuardian
>
> ???
>
> I just ask, because I have finished a product and will encrpyt it with
> the Ioncube encoder based on PHP5.

The Python world doesn't invest greatly in source encryption, so you may
not get many helpful suggestions. I am sure, however, that you will get
a few people suggesting your code is rather less likely to need
protection (and be worthy of it) than you think.

> for answering all my Questions, I would thank you guys very much.

regards
Steve
--
Steve Holden +1 571 484 6266 +1 800 494 3119
Holden Web LLC http://www.hold...

19 Answers

pyotr filipivich

"Paul J. Adam" <paul.j.adam@gmail.com> on Wed, 25 Jun 2014 10:06:40
+0100 typed in soc.history.what-if the following:

>The V-1 might be simple, but it still takes time and material and labour
>to produce, and turning out a hundred thousand of them probably puts a
>serious dent in - for instance - Me109 production (6,500 in 1943 - how
>many of those can the Luftwaffe give up with the USAF sending bombers
>over in daylight)?

Germany had a production problem, it needed so much of everything,
that it did not have the surplus capacity to shut down any line and
retool. Either to make an already deployed version, or to make a new
thing. The ME 109 is a good example. Great plane in 1938, not so
great in 1940, but the Luftwaffe couldn't production ramped up for the
FW 190 because it needed fighters 'now'. (And there were turf wars in
the Ministry, too).

--
pyotr filipivich.
For Sale: Uncirculated Roman Drachmas, feature Julius Ceaser's Portrait,

Paul J. Adam

On 25/06/2014 13:15, SolomonW wrote:
> On Wed, 25 Jun 2014 10:06:40 +0100, Paul J. Adam wrote:
>> The first part, yes, in 1944 (when the southern UK was awash in
>> resources for D-Day and they were available for engaging V-1s).
>> *Compared to the V-2* the V-1 was an inexpensive and cost-effective
>> weapon. It just didn't achieve a great deal in strategic terms.
>>
>> The second... no, not really.
>
> Why? During the battle of Britain when the British defenders were
> stretched, it would be a cheap effective way of delivering bombs to London.

To the south of England, hoping to hit London.

The problem with that is... so what? It doesn't damage Fighter Command,
which is the Luftwaffe's key objective. It doesn't damage the Royal
Navy, which is the main obstacle the Germans actually face (they need
air superiority, in order to try to suppress the RN, in order to have
any chance at all of invading). It'll destroy some homes and kill some
civilians, but that isn't going to win the war for Germany, and it can't
achieve Harris-style disruption because they can't concentrate the
effects in time or space.

And it's back to the problem that the Germans are already being
outproduced in aircraft and are losing the attrition fight during the
real Battle of Britain: diverting production to V1s doesn't help that
one little bit.

>> They're about as effective as Bomber Command was in 1942, delivering a
>> similar or smaller payload with less accuracy, so should be expected to
>> have a similar strategic effect.
>
> However, it would do a lot of damage to London; the British would need to
> answer it.

Answer it how? Attacks on the production and launch sites, perhaps.
Fewer Circuses and Rhubarbs over France to free up fighters for the
Diver Belts... except that, actually, hunting for V1 launch sites would
turn the "fighter sweep" into something more useful. It doesn't appear
to have much effect.

>> At max effort, maybe matching the Blitz (remember, most of the bombers
>> flew multiple sorties, you only get one mission per V-1) with about the
>> same result: again, think about the way Bomber Command knocked Germany
>> out of the war in 1942. Oh, wait...
>
> Check out the figures here I quoted in my original post. It's not trivial.
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V1_rocket#...

Nor is it war-winning, or sustainable. If you want to sustain that
weight of attack for four times as long, you need to produce four times
as many V1s, which adds up to major impacts on other programmes: labour,
materials, fuel, ordnance, all pinch points for the Third Reich.

>> They're an inconvenience, in strategic terms: they simply aren't
>> accurate enough, and can't achieve the density of attack, to achieve any
>> particularly significant result. There's no way for a stream raid of
>> V-1s to concentrate on a particular suburb or city centre; indeed no
>> real way to achieve a stream raid, since the targetting quality is "the
>> Home Counties... we hope".
>
> They are effective sufficiently for a terror campaign which the British
> government would find deadly, enough that it would require a response.

Okay, what response? Surrender? Don't think so. What else?

The solution is a successful OVERLORD to push the launch sites out of
range of the UK. This may help the UK because it stops Churchill's
obsession with the "soft underbelly" and may mean no invasion of Italy,
for example, in order to prioritise resources for a 1944 OVERLORD
coupled to a counter-V1 campaign in the short term.

>> Germany was very rarely able to get any recce of the UK from about 1942,
>> and there was no particular shortage of RAF fighters either.
>
> Most of that was because the Germans in 1943 did not need to.

Oh, they needed to, they just couldn't do it.

>> Such as?
>
> Diversion of allied bombing away from Germany into France.

Strategic bombers won't be retasked to hit V1 launch sites: wrong tool
for the job.

>> It highlights the importance of a successful OVERLORD to push
>> the Germans back out of V-1 range of the UK, but that was on the cards
>> anyway. It certainly won't cause surrender, any more than the Blitz did.
>
> Yes it would increase the demands of trying to push Overlord a year
> earlier.

The same factors, and the same lessons learned at Dieppe, say "not
1943". What's more likely is no Italian campaign (maybe Sicily, but not
mainland Italy) to avoid diverting resources from (a) OVERLORD and (b)
countering the V-1. Lots of tactical aviation freed up from the Italian
campaign, to hit V1 sites in France or patrol the Diver Belt...

>> Getting U-boats to the US East Coast by late 1943 was... difficult, not
>> least because there weren't many experienced crews left (and those still
>> alive had trouble eating soup with a spoon by then) while sending
>> inexperienced crews was basically executing them.
>
> The problem was that the ships in convoys were too well defended.

One problem of several was that radar-equipped patrol aircraft made
surfacing suicidal, and even snorting dangerous. Unfortunately, this
makes a long transatlantic cruise followed by a lengthy surfaced
excursion close to the US... unwise, for the U-boat force in 1943.

>> And that was for submerged hunting; consider the time taken to assemble
>> and rig a V-1 for launch from a submarine, close off the US coast, under
>> land-based air cover where the aircraft can have centimetric radar... it
>> won't take "large resources", just a week's production of Liberators.
>> (Let's not even worry about navigation and getting some sort of accurate
>> fix off the coast first)
>>
> I am sure of the cost when added up for these Liberators, and other
> resources would be much greater than the V1s on a uboat and it would need
> to be maintained for the rest of the war.

Really? The V-1s themselves are lost on every sortie (either fired or
sunk with their submarine), many of the submarines will be lost along
with their trained crews (inexperienced or not, they need to be trained)
while the attrition to the Liberators would be virtually zero. It's a
very, very expensive way to deliver a scant handful of warheads to the
general vicinity of the Eastern Seaboard (considering the woeful
accuracy of a V1 even when fired from a fixed, surveyed launch point,
now add in the error budgets of submarine navigation and the way a
surfaced, stopped U-boat rolls like a cow on wet grass...)

>> Finally, given the way ships were coming out of US yards like shells
>> from a belt-fed WOMBAT by that point in the war, and the growing
>> shortage of enemy navies for them to fight, it's hard to see the problem
>> with giving the US Atlantic Fleet something to do...
>
> Again this adds to the American cost.

Germany is not really in a position to try to defeat the US by
bankrupting it or by running it out of resources. The problem the US had
by 1944 was that it was embarrassed by its riches, with *too many* ships
and aircraft in production, too many crews training up for them, and a
diminishing mission for them to fulfil. The US can afford this cost
easily, while the Germans are already scraping along on the bones of
their arse and are busy losing the war even before diverting resources
to other tasks.

>> And the eternal problem remains, in an economy as resource-constrained
>> as Germany's: if you're going to package up a hundred thousand tons of
>> explosive, which you're severely short of, and fire it at the UK through
>> 1943... what impact does that have elsewhere?
>
> I doubt the Germans would find a more cost/effective alternative.

In 1943 the pressing, obvious problem is that the Red Army is pushing
the Wehrmacht inexorably back towards the borders of Germany, and while
there's some hope that the UK and US might somehow be cajoled into a
negotiated peace, the Soviets appear determined not to stop until Berlin
at least.

The Germans might, perhaps, have found a more cost/effective alternative
by focussing on the Red Horde that's coming to slaughter their menfolk
and brutally ravish the flower of German womanhood, rather than fiddling
around dropping random explosives on the UK and a few on the US. That
might include a unilateral surrender and withdrawal from all their
western conquests, pulling back to the Westwall and concentrating their
efforts on the Soviets: but, tactically, they've got no prospect of
defeating the UK, let alone the US.

Even if, by some miracle, "earlier V1s" have a significant effect on the
Western allies... wonderful, that means that the Red Army makes it all
the way to the Rhine at least. Not seeing that as a win for the Germans,
personally...

>> The V-1 might be simple, but it still takes time and material and labour
>> to produce, and turning out a hundred thousand of them probably puts a
>> serious dent in - for instance - Me109 production (6,500 in 1943 - how
>> many of those can the Luftwaffe give up with the USAF sending bombers
>> over in daylight)?
>
> Actually, it was not for Germany such a big cost; a V1 is a very cheap
> weapons system that can be built by primarily by slaves.

"Cheap" isn't "free". The V1 cost 5,090 Reichmarks, compared to 42,900RM
for a Me109G in 1943 (Wikipedia figures); your entire Me109 production
for 1943 buys you barely half of the V1 force you need, if you want to
deliver a hundred thousand in 1943.

> In 1944 when
> German resources were considerably less, they could build them, in 1943 it
> would be much easier for them.

And yet you still need the labour, the materials, and the warheads, and
if you want many more V1s you need many more resources to do it that
then aren't available for other tasks.

--
He thinks too much, such men are dangerous.

SolomonW

On Wed, 25 Jun 2014 19:05:01 +0100, Paul J. Adam wrote:

> On 25/06/2014 13:15, SolomonW wrote:
>> On Wed, 25 Jun 2014 10:06:40 +0100, Paul J. Adam wrote:
>>> The first part, yes, in 1944 (when the southern UK was awash in
>>> resources for D-Day and they were available for engaging V-1s).
>>> *Compared to the V-2* the V-1 was an inexpensive and cost-effective
>>> weapon. It just didn't achieve a great deal in strategic terms.
>>>
>>> The second... no, not really.
>>
>> Why? During the battle of Britain when the British defenders were
>> stretched, it would be a cheap effective way of delivering bombs to London.
>
> To the south of England, hoping to hit London.

I am sure that they will hit London at least as well as in 1944.

> The problem with that is... so what? It doesn't damage Fighter Command,
> which is the Luftwaffe's key objective.It doesn't damage the Royal
> Navy, which is the main obstacle the Germans actually face (they need
> air superiority, in order to try to suppress the RN, in order to have
> any chance at all of invading). It'll destroy some homes and kill some
> civilians, but that isn't going to win the war for Germany, and it can't
> achieve Harris-style disruption because they can't concentrate the
> effects in time or space.

All this refers to the Battle of Britain; this POD starts in 1943.

> And it's back to the problem that the Germans are already being
> outproduced in aircraft and are losing the attrition fight during the
> real Battle of Britain: diverting production to V1s doesn't help that
> one little bit.

Again all this refers to the Battle of Britain; this POD starts in 1943.

>>> They're about as effective as Bomber Command was in 1942, delivering a
>>> similar or smaller payload with less accuracy, so should be expected to
>>> have a similar strategic effect.
>>
>> However, it would do a lot of damage to London; the British would need to
>> answer it.
>
> Answer it how? Attacks on the production and launch sites, perhaps.
> Fewer Circuses and Rhubarbs over France to free up fighters for the
> Diver Belts... except that, actually, hunting for V1 launch sites would
> turn the "fighter sweep" into something more useful. It doesn't appear
> to have much effect.

Fighter sweeps over France failed in this period and fighters in 1944
proved useless again V1 launchers.

>>> At max effort, maybe matching the Blitz (remember, most of the bombers
>>> flew multiple sorties, you only get one mission per V-1) with about the
>>> same result: again, think about the way Bomber Command knocked Germany
>>> out of the war in 1942. Oh, wait...
>>
>> Check out the figures here I quoted in my original post. It's not trivial.
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V1_rocket#...
>
> Nor is it war-winning, or sustainable. If you want to sustain that
> weight of attack for four times as long, you need to produce four times
> as many V1s, which adds up to major impacts on other programmes: labour,
> materials, fuel, ordnance, all pinch points for the Third Reich.

1944 proved there was no pinch point for either V1s or V2s. What stopped
them was land forces.

>>> They're an inconvenience, in strategic terms: they simply aren't
>>> accurate enough, and can't achieve the density of attack, to achieve any
>>> particularly significant result. There's no way for a stream raid of
>>> V-1s to concentrate on a particular suburb or city centre; indeed no
>>> real way to achieve a stream raid, since the targetting quality is "the
>>> Home Counties... we hope".
>>
>> They are effective sufficiently for a terror campaign which the British
>> government would find deadly, enough that it would require a response.
>
> Okay, what response? Surrender? Don't think so. What else?

What about demands for action which would cause large diversion of
resources to the British coast to stop the incoming V1s and against the
launchers in France.

> The solution is a successful OVERLORD to push the launch sites out of
> range of the UK. This may help the UK because it stops Churchill's
> obsession with the "soft underbelly" and may mean no invasion of Italy,
> for example, in order to prioritise resources for a 1944 OVERLORD
> coupled to a counter-V1 campaign in the short term.

Despite some experts, I doubt until the Battle of the Atlantic was won that
Overlord was possible.

>>> Germany was very rarely able to get any recce of the UK from about 1942,
>>> and there was no particular shortage of RAF fighters either.
>>
>> Most of that was because the Germans in 1943 did not need to.
>
> Oh, they needed to, they just couldn't do it.

Why did the Germans in 1943 need air reconnaissance over Britain in 1943?

>>> Such as?
>>
>> Diversion of allied bombing away from Germany into France.
>
> Strategic bombers won't be retasked to hit V1 launch sites: wrong tool
> for the job.

Well larger numbers were used in 1944 with almost no effect.

>>> It highlights the importance of a successful OVERLORD to push
>>> the Germans back out of V-1 range of the UK, but that was on the cards
>>> anyway. It certainly won't cause surrender, any more than the Blitz did.
>>
>> Yes it would increase the demands of trying to push Overlord a year
>> earlier.
>
> The same factors, and the same lessons learned at Dieppe, say "not
> 1943". What's more likely is no Italian campaign (maybe Sicily, but not
> mainland Italy) to avoid diverting resources from (a) OVERLORD and (b)
> countering the V-1.

Alone this would justify the V1 program to Germany.

> Lots of tactical aviation freed up from the Italian
> campaign, to hit V1 sites in France

Which would fail as in 1944.

> or patrol the Diver Belt...

This had a lot of success in 1944, but it only reduced about half the V1s.

>>> Getting U-boats to the US East Coast by late 1943 was... difficult, not
>>> least because there weren't many experienced crews left (and those still
>>> alive had trouble eating soup with a spoon by then) while sending
>>> inexperienced crews was basically executing them.
>>
>> The problem was that the ships in convoys were too well defended.
>
> One problem of several was that radar-equipped patrol aircraft made
> surfacing suicidal, and even snorting dangerous. Unfortunately, this
> makes a long transatlantic cruise followed by a lengthy surfaced
> excursion close to the US... unwise, for the U-boat force in 1943.

It would not take that long to assemble and fire most people here think
about half an hour.

In fact, U-boats in 1943, spent a lot of time near the US coast not only to
hunt but also for air. Until the snorkel was widely distributed, all
U-boats came up for long periods for air.

After May 1943, it may be the best use of German resources.

>>> And that was for submerged hunting; consider the time taken to assemble
>>> and rig a V-1 for launch from a submarine, close off the US coast, under
>>> land-based air cover where the aircraft can have centimetric radar... it
>>> won't take "large resources", just a week's production of Liberators.
>>> (Let's not even worry about navigation and getting some sort of accurate
>>> fix off the coast first)
>>>
>> I am sure of the cost when added up for these Liberators, and other
>> resources would be much greater than the V1s on a uboat and it would need
>> to be maintained for the rest of the war.
>
> Really? The V-1s themselves are lost on every sortie (either fired or
> sunk with their submarine), many of the submarines will be lost along
> with their trained crews (inexperienced or not, they need to be trained)

This mission would be much less dangerous then attacking convoys.

> while the attrition to the Liberators would be virtually zero.

The big expense is that they need a lot of radar to cover this large
territory, a lot of Liberators on stand by in the area in less than half an
hour by which time the U-boat has fired and left the area and a lot of
airbases.

> It's a
> very, very expensive way to deliver a scant handful of warheads to the
> general vicinity of the Eastern Seaboard (considering the woeful
> accuracy of a V1 even when fired from a fixed, surveyed launch point,
> now add in the error budgets of submarine navigation and the way a
> surfaced, stopped U-boat rolls like a cow on wet grass...)

I agree with this but like the British public, the American public would
demand action.

>>> Finally, given the way ships were coming out of US yards like shells
>>> from a belt-fed WOMBAT by that point in the war, and the growing
>>> shortage of enemy navies for them to fight, it's hard to see the problem
>>> with giving the US Atlantic Fleet something to do...
>>
>> Again this adds to the American cost.
>
> Germany is not really in a position to try to defeat the US by
> bankrupting it or by running it out of resources. The problem the US had
> by 1944 was that it was embarrassed by its riches, with *too many* ships
> and aircraft in production, too many crews training up for them, and a
> diminishing mission for them to fulfil. The US can afford this cost
> easily, while the Germans are already scraping along on the bones of
> their arse and are busy losing the war even before diverting resources
> to other tasks.

I cannot think of something else that Germany could spend on money that
resulted in such a diversion of Allied resources as the V1 program did, can
you?

>>> And the eternal problem remains, in an economy as resource-constrained
>>> as Germany's: if you're going to package up a hundred thousand tons of
>>> explosive, which you're severely short of, and fire it at the UK through
>>> 1943... what impact does that have elsewhere?
>>
>> I doubt the Germans would find a more cost/effective alternative.
>
> In 1943 the pressing, obvious problem is that the Red Army is pushing
> the Wehrmacht inexorably back towards the borders of Germany, and while
> there's some hope that the UK and US might somehow be cajoled into a
> negotiated peace, the Soviets appear determined not to stop until Berlin
> at least.

I think the reverse, Hitler if he had a major victory against Russia might
have some possibilty of making a deal with Stalin, he had none with the US
or Britain.

> The Germans might, perhaps, have found a more cost/effective alternative
> by focussing on the Red Horde that's coming to slaughter their menfolk
> and brutally ravish the flower of German womanhood, rather than fiddling
> around dropping random explosives on the UK and a few on the US. That
> might include a unilateral surrender and withdrawal from all their
> western conquests, pulling back to the Westwall and concentrating their
> efforts on the Soviets: but, tactically, they've got no prospect of
> defeating the UK, let alone the US.

No way we are talking here of Hitler.

> Even if, by some miracle, "earlier V1s" have a significant effect on the
> Western allies... wonderful, that means that the Red Army makes it all
> the way to the Rhine at least. Not seeing that as a win for the Germans,
> personally...

Never said it would give Hitler a victory.

>>> The V-1 might be simple, but it still takes time and material and labour
>>> to produce, and turning out a hundred thousand of them probably puts a
>>> serious dent in - for instance - Me109 production (6,500 in 1943 - how
>>> many of those can the Luftwaffe give up with the USAF sending bombers
>>> over in daylight)?
>>
>> Actually, it was not for Germany such a big cost; a V1 is a very cheap
>> weapons system that can be built by primarily by slaves.
>
> "Cheap" isn't "free". The V1 cost 5,090 Reichmarks, compared to 42,900RM
> for a Me109G in 1943 (Wikipedia figures); your entire Me109 production
> for 1943 buys you barely half of the V1 force you need, if you want to
> deliver a hundred thousand in 1943.

How could Germany run more planes, besides oil, materials, etc. another
big problem was pilots? V1s they could operate much more than they did.

> > In 1944 when
>> German resources were considerably less, they could build them, in 1943 it
>> would be much easier for them.
>
> And yet you still need the labour, the materials, and the warheads, and
> if you want many more V1s you need many more resources to do it that
> then aren't available for other tasks.

What weapon system the Germans had would be affected by a large V1 program
in 1943. As it was it was affordable in 1944..

---
http://www...

William Black

On Thu, 26 Jun 2014 22:57:24 +1000, SolomonW <SolomonW@citi.com>
wrote:

>Fighter sweeps over France failed in this period and fighters in 1944
>proved useless again V1 launchers.

But they did shoot down VIs over England.

And the south of England between London and the coast is pretty much
an empty space...

>> Okay, what response? Surrender? Don't think so. What else?
>
>What about demands for action which would cause large diversion of
>resources to the British coast to stop the incoming V1s and against the
>launchers in France.

Who's going to make those?

The 'demands for action' I mean.

When the major British ports were, more or less, bombed flat they
didn't even release the names of the towns bombed, never mind talk
about how many died or the damage done.

It's a proper war, there's censorship, people didn't complain about
the bombing, they moved to the shelters and hoped it would end
soon...

>> Strategic bombers won't be retasked to hit V1 launch sites: wrong tool
>> for the job.
>

>Well larger numbers were used in 1944 with almost no effect.

They weren't used for that.

The Horny Goat

wrote:

>> In 1943 the pressing, obvious problem is that the Red Army is pushing
>> the Wehrmacht inexorably back towards the borders of Germany, and while
>> there's some hope that the UK and US might somehow be cajoled into a
>> negotiated peace, the Soviets appear determined not to stop until Berlin
>> at least.
>
>I think the reverse, Hitler if he had a major victory against Russia might
>have some possibilty of making a deal with Stalin, he had none with the US
>or Britain.

Even if you're right (which I question) what sort of 1944 victory
would accomplish that miracle? Given the summer of 1944 battles and
the odds against the Germans then it seems quite implausible to me.

If you're looking for a POD I think it has to be during 1943. The
summer of 1943 battles weren't an inevitable win for the Soviets but
if you're looking for a post-Kursk POD I'm skeptical.

Paul J. Adam

On 26/06/2014 13:57, SolomonW wrote:
> On Wed, 25 Jun 2014 19:05:01 +0100, Paul J. Adam wrote:
>> To the south of England, hoping to hit London.
>
> I am sure that they will hit London at least as well as in 1944.

They won't do any better.

>> The problem with that is... so what? It doesn't damage Fighter Command,
>> which is the Luftwaffe's key objective.It doesn't damage the Royal
>> Navy, which is the main obstacle the Germans actually face (they need
>> air superiority, in order to try to suppress the RN, in order to have
>> any chance at all of invading). It'll destroy some homes and kill some
>> civilians, but that isn't going to win the war for Germany, and it can't
>> achieve Harris-style disruption because they can't concentrate the
>> effects in time or space.
>
> All this refers to the Battle of Britain; this POD starts in 1943.

Same problems. What tangible strategic effect is this campaign having?
The 1940-41 Blitz didn't knock Britain out of the war and the RAF and
USAAF didn't force a German surrender in isolation.

>> And it's back to the problem that the Germans are already being
>> outproduced in aircraft and are losing the attrition fight during the
>> real Battle of Britain: diverting production to V1s doesn't help that
>> one little bit.
>
> Again all this refers to the Battle of Britain; this POD starts in 1943.

Where German aircraft production is even further behind that of the
Allies, and so the disadvantage even greater.

>> Answer it how? Attacks on the production and launch sites, perhaps.
>> Fewer Circuses and Rhubarbs over France to free up fighters for the
>> Diver Belts... except that, actually, hunting for V1 launch sites would
>> turn the "fighter sweep" into something more useful. It doesn't appear
>> to have much effect.
>
> Fighter sweeps over France failed in this period and fighters in 1944
> proved useless again V1 launchers.

Really? Fighter-bombers were ineffective against V1 launch sites? The
Germans weren't forced to abandon the fixed "ski jump" sites in favour
of mobile operations because of Allied air attacks?

>> Nor is it war-winning, or sustainable. If you want to sustain that
>> weight of attack for four times as long, you need to produce four times
>> as many V1s, which adds up to major impacts on other programmes: labour,
>> materials, fuel, ordnance, all pinch points for the Third Reich.
>
> 1944 proved there was no pinch point for either V1s or V2s.

Then why didn't they launch two, three, ten, a hundred times more? It
seems there were indeed constraints on the production and deployment of
the V1 and V2.

>> Okay, what response? Surrender? Don't think so. What else?
>
> What about demands for action which would cause large diversion of
> resources to the British coast to stop the incoming V1s and against the
> launchers in France.

You mean, like we actually did in 1944? Didn't appear to cripple the
British war effort.

>> The solution is a successful OVERLORD to push the launch sites out of
>> range of the UK. This may help the UK because it stops Churchill's
>> obsession with the "soft underbelly" and may mean no invasion of Italy,
>> for example, in order to prioritise resources for a 1944 OVERLORD
>> coupled to a counter-V1 campaign in the short term.
>
> Despite some experts, I doubt until the Battle of the Atlantic was won that
> Overlord was possible.

Correct, but a more severe V1 threat focusses the attention on the key
task and away from distractions.

>> Oh, they needed to, they just couldn't do it.
>
> Why did the Germans in 1943 need air reconnaissance over Britain in 1943?

To find out what's happening in Britan, like - for example -
preparations for an invasion of France? The sort of thing that
commanders find useful.

>> Strategic bombers won't be retasked to hit V1 launch sites: wrong tool
>> for the job.
>
> Well larger numbers were used in 1944 with almost no effect.

The heavies weren't tasked much if at all for hitting V1 sites, that was
a tactical aviation job; and even if someone demands it, the
inefffective results will mean it's a short-lived diversion at best.

Not really worth a year's fighter production to Germany, is it?

>> The same factors, and the same lessons learned at Dieppe, say "not
>> 1943". What's more likely is no Italian campaign (maybe Sicily, but not
>> mainland Italy) to avoid diverting resources from (a) OVERLORD and (b)
>> countering the V-1.
>
> Alone this would justify the V1 program to Germany.

Why? Italy was a handy win for them, tying up a lot of Allied effort for
very little result and at low cost and risk to the Germans.

>> Lots of tactical aviation freed up from the Italian
>> campaign, to hit V1 sites in France
>
> Which would fail as in 1944.

It forced the Germans away from fixed sites onto mobile launchers, and
with a much higher density of launches there's many more targets to be
had. Ten times the activity means at least ten times the chance of being
spotted and strafed...

>> or patrol the Diver Belt...
>
> This had a lot of success in 1944, but it only reduced about half the V1s.

Still acceptable, given that there's no evidence that this V1 campaign
has a significant strategic success in prospect. Germany didn't give up
and surrender under thousand-bomber raids, why would the UK quit under a
drizzle of inaccurate V1s?

>> One problem of several was that radar-equipped patrol aircraft made
>> surfacing suicidal, and even snorting dangerous. Unfortunately, this
>> makes a long transatlantic cruise followed by a lengthy surfaced
>> excursion close to the US... unwise, for the U-boat force in 1943.
>
> It would not take that long to assemble and fire most people here think
> about half an hour.

That's a *long* time to spend on the surface, close to a hostile coast,
with enemy aircraft patrolling.

What happened to U-boats running on the surface in the Bay of Biscay in
1943, for example?

> In fact, U-boats in 1943, spent a lot of time near the US coast not only to
> hunt but also for air.

In 1943? Really? I think you'll find that the U-boats had been pushed
into the "black hole" outside land-based air cover, and that it was the
advent of VLR Liberators able to plug that gap that was part of their
death knell.

> Until the snorkel was widely distributed, all
> U-boats came up for long periods for air.

Which was so safe and straightforward... that they needed the snorkel?

> After May 1943, it may be the best use of German resources.

It isn't going to put many V1s into important US targets, that's for sure.

>> Really? The V-1s themselves are lost on every sortie (either fired or
>> sunk with their submarine), many of the submarines will be lost along
>> with their trained crews (inexperienced or not, they need to be trained)
>
> This mission would be much less dangerous then attacking convoys.

Which in 1943 isn't saying much.

>> while the attrition to the Liberators would be virtually zero.
>
> The big expense is that they need a lot of radar to cover this large
> territory,

One Liberator can sweep - big handfuls - four hundred square miles an
hour against a surfaced submarine, and is triggering the warning
receivers at much longer ranges than it can detect (which in turn is
triggering crash dives and abandoned missiles, unless you've got very
bold - and quite possibly soon-to-be-dead - crews on the U-boat).
Perfect coverage is difficult and expensive, but seriously
inconveniencing their operations and killing a decent number of them is
quite manageable.

>> Germany is not really in a position to try to defeat the US by
>> bankrupting it or by running it out of resources. The problem the US had
>> by 1944 was that it was embarrassed by its riches, with *too many* ships
>> and aircraft in production, too many crews training up for them, and a
>> diminishing mission for them to fulfil. The US can afford this cost
>> easily, while the Germans are already scraping along on the bones of
>> their arse and are busy losing the war even before diverting resources
>> to other tasks.
>
> I cannot think of something else that Germany could spend on money that
> resulted in such a diversion of Allied resources as the V1 program did, can
> you?

And yet, they still lose.

>> The Germans might, perhaps, have found a more cost/effective alternative
>> by focussing on the Red Horde that's coming to slaughter their menfolk
>> and brutally ravish the flower of German womanhood, rather than fiddling
>> around dropping random explosives on the UK and a few on the US. That
>> might include a unilateral surrender and withdrawal from all their
>> western conquests, pulling back to the Westwall and concentrating their
>> efforts on the Soviets: but, tactically, they've got no prospect of
>> defeating the UK, let alone the US.
>
> No way we are talking here of Hitler.

Which is why rearranging the deckchairs on the Titanic isn't delaying
the sinking by much, if at all.

>> "Cheap" isn't "free". The V1 cost 5,090 Reichmarks, compared to 42,900RM
>> for a Me109G in 1943 (Wikipedia figures); your entire Me109 production
>> for 1943 buys you barely half of the V1 force you need, if you want to
>> deliver a hundred thousand in 1943.
>
> How could Germany run more planes, besides oil, materials, etc. another
> big problem was pilots? V1s they could operate much more than they did.

The point is, they didn't have enough planes: producing more V1s means
fewer aircraft at a point where they're already seriously short.

>> And yet you still need the labour, the materials, and the warheads, and
>> if you want many more V1s you need many more resources to do it that
>> then aren't available for other tasks.
>
> What weapon system the Germans had would be affected by a large V1 program
> in 1943.

Anything needing manpower, materials and explosives.

> As it was it was affordable in 1944..

Doesn't mean you can produce ten times as many without any effects
elsewhere.

Otherwise, I simply say that Britain launches a crash program in
response to the V1 threat and fields a hundred thousand Gloster Meteors
by mid-1943, which is clearly feasible because we could afford to
produce and field some in 1944...

--

On Thu, 26 Jun 2014 14:57:37 +0100, Bill wrote:

> On Thu, 26 Jun 2014 22:57:24 +1000, SolomonW <SolomonW@citi.com>
> wrote:
>

>>Fighter sweeps over France failed in this period and fighters in 1944
>>proved useless again V1 launchers.
>
> But they did shoot down VIs over England.
>
> And the south of England between London and the coast is pretty much
> an empty space...

Yep which is what I said

>>> Okay, what response? Surrender? Don't think so. What else?
>>
>>What about demands for action which would cause large diversion of
>>resources to the British coast to stop the incoming V1s and against the
>>launchers in France.
>
> Who's going to make those?
>
> The 'demands for action' I mean.
>
> When the major British ports were, more or less, bombed flat they
> didn't even release the names of the towns bombed, never mind talk
> about how many died or the damage done.
>
> It's a proper war, there's censorship, people didn't complain about
> the bombing, they moved to the shelters and hoped it would end
> soon...

Please this POD is set in 1943.

>>> Strategic bombers won't be retasked to hit V1 launch sites: wrong tool
>>> for the job.
>>

>>Well larger numbers were used in 1944 with almost no effect.
>
> They weren't used for that.

Please check again, between August 1943-44 about 15% by tonnage of the
bombing targets were V1s.

---
http://www...

SolomonW

On Thu, 26 Jun 2014 09:14:27 -0700, The Horny Goat wrote:

> On Thu, 26 Jun 2014 22:57:24 +1000, SolomonW <SolomonW@citi.com>
> wrote:
>
>>> In 1943 the pressing, obvious problem is that the Red Army is pushing
>>> the Wehrmacht inexorably back towards the borders of Germany, and while
>>> there's some hope that the UK and US might somehow be cajoled into a
>>> negotiated peace, the Soviets appear determined not to stop until Berlin
>>> at least.
>>
>>I think the reverse, Hitler if he had a major victory against Russia might
>>have some possibilty of making a deal with Stalin, he had none with the US
>>or Britain.
>
> Even if you're right (which I question) what sort of 1944 victory
> would accomplish that miracle? Given the summer of 1944 battles and
> the odds against the Germans then it seems quite implausible to me.
>
> If you're looking for a POD I think it has to be during 1943. The
> summer of 1943 battles weren't an inevitable win for the Soviets but
> if you're looking for a post-Kursk POD I'm skeptical.

Please read the title of this POD it states 1943

---
http://www...

SolomonW

On Thu, 26 Jun 2014 19:16:41 +0100, Paul J. Adam wrote:

> On 26/06/2014 13:57, SolomonW wrote:
>> On Wed, 25 Jun 2014 19:05:01 +0100, Paul J. Adam wrote:
>>> To the south of England, hoping to hit London.
>>
>> I am sure that they will hit London at least as well as in 1944.
>
> They won't do any better.

Why not?

In 1943, Germany is a bit stronger compared to the Allies economically and
technologically then in 1944. In 1943 in France they are in the air about
equal.

>>> The problem with that is... so what? It doesn't damage Fighter Command,
>>> which is the Luftwaffe's key objective.It doesn't damage the Royal
>>> Navy, which is the main obstacle the Germans actually face (they need
>>> air superiority, in order to try to suppress the RN, in order to have
>>> any chance at all of invading). It'll destroy some homes and kill some
>>> civilians, but that isn't going to win the war for Germany, and it can't
>>> achieve Harris-style disruption because they can't concentrate the
>>> effects in time or space.
>>
>> All this refers to the Battle of Britain; this POD starts in 1943.
>
> Same problems. What tangible strategic effect is this campaign having?
> The 1940-41 Blitz didn't knock Britain out of the war and the RAF and
> USAAF didn't force a German surrender in isolation.

This POD is not about winning the war it is about the cost/effectiveness of
such a campaign. One of those PODs could Hitler have done better.

>>> And it's back to the problem that the Germans are already being
>>> outproduced in aircraft and are losing the attrition fight during the
>>> real Battle of Britain: diverting production to V1s doesn't help that
>>> one little bit.
>>
>> Again all this refers to the Battle of Britain; this POD starts in 1943.
>
> Where German aircraft production is even further behind that of the
> Allies, and so the disadvantage even greater.

Really the V1 campaign started in the OTL in 1944; this ATL is in 1943.

>>> Answer it how? Attacks on the production and launch sites, perhaps.
>>> Fewer Circuses and Rhubarbs over France to free up fighters for the
>>> Diver Belts... except that, actually, hunting for V1 launch sites would
>>> turn the "fighter sweep" into something more useful. It doesn't appear
>>> to have much effect.
>>
>> Fighter sweeps over France failed in this period and fighters in 1944
>> proved useless again V1 launchers.
>
> Really? Fighter-bombers were ineffective against V1 launch sites? The
> Germans weren't forced to abandon the fixed "ski jump" sites in favour
> of mobile operations because of Allied air attacks?

They did some damage but not a lot.

>>> Nor is it war-winning, or sustainable. If you want to sustain that
>>> weight of attack for four times as long, you need to produce four times
>>> as many V1s, which adds up to major impacts on other programmes: labour,
>>> materials, fuel, ordnance, all pinch points for the Third Reich.
>>
>> 1944 proved there was no pinch point for either V1s or V2s.
>
> Then why didn't they launch two, three, ten, a hundred times more? It
> seems there were indeed constraints on the production and deployment of
> the V1 and V2.

Again not much constraints caused by Allied bombing.

>>> Okay, what response? Surrender? Don't think so. What else?
>>
>> What about demands for action which would cause large diversion of
>> resources to the British coast to stop the incoming V1s and against the
>> launchers in France.
>
> You mean, like we actually did in 1944? Didn't appear to cripple the
> British war effort.

Correct but it did cause a major diversion of resources of British
resources.

>>> The solution is a successful OVERLORD to push the launch sites out of
>>> range of the UK. This may help the UK because it stops Churchill's
>>> obsession with the "soft underbelly" and may mean no invasion of Italy,
>>> for example, in order to prioritise resources for a 1944 OVERLORD
>>> coupled to a counter-V1 campaign in the short term.
>>
>> Despite some experts, I doubt until the Battle of the Atlantic was won that
>> Overlord was possible.
>
> Correct, but a more severe V1 threat focusses the attention on the key
> task and away from distractions.

This alone would justify the German V1 program with the allies diverting
large resources against V1s.

By the way, in 1944, that is what the German military wanted. They hopped
the V1s would cause allies forces in Normandy to divert to Calais.

>>> Oh, they needed to, they just couldn't do it.
>>
>> Why did the Germans in 1943 need air reconnaissance over Britain in 1943?
>
> To find out what's happening in Britan, like - for example -
> preparations for an invasion of France? The sort of thing that
> commanders find useful.

It is a good point; the Germans do not appear to be that worried about it
as they did little air reconnaissance there in 1943.

>>> Strategic bombers won't be retasked to hit V1 launch sites: wrong tool
>>> for the job.
>>
>> Well larger numbers were used in 1944 with almost no effect.
>
> The heavies weren't tasked much if at all for hitting V1 sites, that was
> a tactical aviation job; and even if someone demands it, the
> inefffective results will mean it's a short-lived diversion at best.

I think you will find that they were, and it was not a short-lived
diversion.

> Not really worth a year's fighter production to Germany, is it?

(a)
How does V1s production delay much fighter production?

>>> The same factors, and the same lessons learned at Dieppe, say "not
>>> 1943". What's more likely is no Italian campaign (maybe Sicily, but not
>>> mainland Italy) to avoid diverting resources from (a) OVERLORD and (b)
>>> countering the V-1.
>>
>> Alone this would justify the V1 program to Germany.
>
> Why? Italy was a handy win for them, tying up a lot of Allied effort for
> very little result and at low cost and risk to the Germans.

Italy cost German a victory at Kursk, an ally, soon the Germans required
about a million troops to hold Italy, if the V1s could have stopped that,
it is very good result for them.

>>> Lots of tactical aviation freed up from the Italian
>>> campaign, to hit V1 sites in France
>>
>> Which would fail as in 1944.
>
> It forced the Germans away from fixed sites onto mobile launchers, and
> with a much higher density of launches there's many more targets to be
> had. Ten times the activity means at least ten times the chance of being
> spotted and strafed...

ten times I doubt but 10 times slight about zero is not a particularly big
number.

>>> or patrol the Diver Belt...
>>
>> This had a lot of success in 1944, but it only reduced about half the V1s.
>
> Still acceptable, given that there's no evidence that this V1 campaign
> has a significant strategic success in prospect. Germany didn't give up
> and surrender under thousand-bomber raids, why would the UK quit under a
> drizzle of inaccurate V1s?

Britain would not but it did divert large resources

>>> One problem of several was that radar-equipped patrol aircraft made
>>> surfacing suicidal, and even snorting dangerous. Unfortunately, this
>>> makes a long transatlantic cruise followed by a lengthy surfaced
>>> excursion close to the US... unwise, for the U-boat force in 1943.
>>
>> It would not take that long to assemble and fire most people here think
>> about half an hour.
>
> That's a *long* time to spend on the surface, close to a hostile coast,
> with enemy aircraft patrolling.
>
> What happened to U-boats running on the surface in the Bay of Biscay in
> 1943, for example?

Most got though.

>> In fact, U-boats in 1943, spent a lot of time near the US coast not only to
>> hunt but also for air.
>
> In 1943? Really? I think you'll find that the U-boats had been pushed
> into the "black hole" outside land-based air cover, and that it was the
> advent of VLR Liberators able to plug that gap that was part of their
> death knell.

U-boats in that time had to surface for air. That was more then half an
hour.

> > Until the snorkel was widely distributed, all
>> U-boats came up for long periods for air.
>
> Which was so safe and straightforward... that they needed the snorkel?

Yep.

>> After May 1943, it may be the best use of German resources.
>
> It isn't going to put many V1s into important US targets, that's for sure.

No it will be a few pot shots.

>>> Really? The V-1s themselves are lost on every sortie (either fired or
>>> sunk with their submarine), many of the submarines will be lost along
>>> with their trained crews (inexperienced or not, they need to be trained)
>>
>> This mission would be much less dangerous then attacking convoys.
>
> Which in 1943 isn't saying much.

Well it maybe a better use for German resources.

>>> while the attrition to the Liberators would be virtually zero.
>>
>> The big expense is that they need a lot of radar to cover this large
>> territory,
>
> One Liberator can sweep - big handfuls - four hundred square miles an
> hour against a surfaced submarine, and is triggering the warning
> receivers at much longer ranges than it can detect (which in turn is
> triggering crash dives and abandoned missiles, unless you've got very
> bold - and quite possibly soon-to-be-dead - crews on the U-boat).
> Perfect coverage is difficult and expensive, but seriously
> inconveniencing their operations and killing a decent number of them is
> quite manageable.

The length of the eastern Seaboard from Florida to Maine is 2,160
kilometers; the Uboat can fire originally at 100km, but that was increased
to 172 km, its a lot of territory to cover.

>>> Germany is not really in a position to try to defeat the US by
>>> bankrupting it or by running it out of resources. The problem the US had
>>> by 1944 was that it was embarrassed by its riches, with *too many* ships
>>> and aircraft in production, too many crews training up for them, and a
>>> diminishing mission for them to fulfil. The US can afford this cost
>>> easily, while the Germans are already scraping along on the bones of
>>> their arse and are busy losing the war even before diverting resources
>>> to other tasks.
>>
>> I cannot think of something else that Germany could spend on money that
>> resulted in such a diversion of Allied resources as the V1 program did, can
>> you?
>
> And yet, they still lose.

No doubt

>>> The Germans might, perhaps, have found a more cost/effective alternative
>>> by focussing on the Red Horde that's coming to slaughter their menfolk
>>> and brutally ravish the flower of German womanhood, rather than fiddling
>>> around dropping random explosives on the UK and a few on the US. That
>>> might include a unilateral surrender and withdrawal from all their
>>> western conquests, pulling back to the Westwall and concentrating their
>>> efforts on the Soviets: but, tactically, they've got no prospect of
>>> defeating the UK, let alone the US.
>>
>> No way we are talking here of Hitler.
>
> Which is why rearranging the deckchairs on the Titanic isn't delaying
> the sinking by much, if at all.

More importantly it means some options are unlikely.

>>> "Cheap" isn't "free". The V1 cost 5,090 Reichmarks, compared to 42,900RM
>>> for a Me109G in 1943 (Wikipedia figures); your entire Me109 production
>>> for 1943 buys you barely half of the V1 force you need, if you want to
>>> deliver a hundred thousand in 1943.
>>
>> How could Germany run more planes, besides oil, materials, etc. another
>> big problem was pilots? V1s they could operate much more than they did.
>
> The point is, they didn't have enough planes: producing more V1s means
> fewer aircraft at a point where they're already seriously short.

see (a) above

>>> And yet you still need the labour, the materials, and the warheads, and
>>> if you want many more V1s you need many more resources to do it that
>>> then aren't available for other tasks.
>>
>> What weapon system the Germans had would be affected by a large V1 program
>> in 1943.
>
> Anything needing manpower, materials and explosives.
>
> > As it was it was affordable in 1944..
>
> Doesn't mean you can produce ten times as many without any effects
> elsewhere.

I do not see a major effect.

> Otherwise, I simply say that Britain launches a crash program in
> response to the V1 threat and fields a hundred thousand Gloster Meteors
> by mid-1943, which is clearly feasible because we could afford to
> produce and field some in 1944...

I think it would be hard to produce them in bulk in mid 1943.

---
http://www...

William Black

On Sat, 28 Jun 2014 18:47:39 +1000, SolomonW <SolomonW@citi.com>
wrote:

>On Thu, 26 Jun 2014 14:57:37 +0100, Bill wrote:

>> It's a proper war, there's censorship, people didn't complain about
>> the bombing, they moved to the shelters and hoped it would end
>> soon...
>
>Please this POD is set in 1943.

So what?

People got bombed by VIs in 1944, people didn't start a campaign to
end the war.