Ruby script to calculate Muslim prayer times

Redd Vinylene

does anybody know of a Ruby script to calculate Muslim prayer times?

Here's one that calculates Jewish prayer times:

http://pastie....

--
http://www.home.no/re...

6 Answers

Kyle Schmitt

Sorry, because I really don't know, but why wouldn't it be at the same
time every day?

--Kyle

Redd Vinylene

On Thu, May 14, 2009 at 3:10 PM, Kyle Schmitt <kyleaschmitt@gmail.com>wrote:

> Sorry, because I really don't know, but why wouldn't it be at the same
> time every day?
>
> --Kyle

I think it depends on the position of the moon and stuff, kinda like the
Jewish one uses the position of the sun.

--
http://www.home.no/re...

Michael Kohl

On Thu, May 14, 2009 at 3:10 PM, Kyle Schmitt <kyleaschmitt@gmail.com> wrote:
> Sorry, because I really don't know, but why wouldn't it be at the same
> time every day?

Because they depend on sunrise and sunset which are not at the same
time every day.

@Redd: Maybe look at this:
http://forums.mpadc.com/showthread.php/prayer-times-script...

There's a PHP script in this thread that scraps the times from some
website, this is probably really easy to copy with Ruby and Hpricot.

Kyle Schmitt

Local sunrise & sunset, or at a specific place (Mecca I'd assume)?

I think there are some astronomy & nasa pages that give some basic
formulas for that...humm.

Kyle Schmitt

This FAA site has an online calculator (you could always read through
the javascript):
http://akweathercams.faa.gov/sr...

And here's a site with the formulas (at a glance I'd say grab a cup
of coffee & a quite corner this weekend if you really want to
understand it) :
http://herbert.gandraxa.com/herbe...

Redd Vinylene

On Thu, May 14, 2009 at 3:16 PM, Redd Vinylene <reddvinylene@gmail.com>wrote:

> On Thu, May 14, 2009 at 3:10 PM, Kyle Schmitt <kyleaschmitt@gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Sorry, because I really don't know, but why wouldn't it be at the same
>> time every day?
>>
>> --Kyle
>>

> I think it depends on the position of the moon and stuff, kinda like the
> Jewish one uses the position of the sun.
>

> --
> http://www.home.no/re...

Sorry for the mixup. The moon is used to calculate fasting times I think?

--
http://www.home.no/re...