willcosgrove

5/12/2009 6:19:00 PM

What is the best way to make a simple GUI with ruby for Windows? I've
been using shoes ( http://s... ) but I was wondering if there
was another way? Or is this how most people make a GUI with ruby?
5 Answers

Martin DeMello

On Tue, May 12, 2009 at 11:50 PM, willcosgrove <jesusfreak210@gmail.com> wr=
ote:
> What is the best way to make a simple GUI with ruby for Windows? =A0I've
> been using shoes ( http://s... ) but I was wondering if there
> was another way? =A0Or is this how most people make a GUI with ruby?

There are lots of choices, but in my biased opinion you're unlikely to
find a better one than shoes, especially for a simple GUI

martin

lolveley

if you speak french, you could have a look here :
http://www.bawet.org/article.php3?id_..., or search similar sites.

lolveley.

Martin DeMello a écrit :
> On Tue, May 12, 2009 at 11:50 PM, willcosgrove <jesusfreak210@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> What is the best way to make a simple GUI with ruby for Windows? I've
>> been using shoes ( http://s... ) but I was wondering if there
>> was another way? Or is this how most people make a GUI with ruby?
>>

> There are lots of choices, but in my biased opinion you're unlikely to
> find a better one than shoes, especially for a simple GUI
>
> martin

http://fr.mail...

Alex Fenton

willcosgrove wrote:
> What is the best way to make a simple GUI with ruby for Windows? I've
> been using shoes ( http://s... ) but I was wondering if there
> was another way? Or is this how most people make a GUI with ruby?

It's not how *most* people do it, though it's a popular tool. See here
for a recent picture of what people are actually using:

http://www.pressure.to/ruby_g...

If you're pretty sure your needs are simple enough to be met by Shoes,
it's likely a good choice. Other popular toolkits (eg GNOME2, wxRuby)
offer a lot more flexibility, but with more complexity.

alex

Logan Barnett

Shoes is a neat tool, but not for making lots of buttony apps with
reusable widgets and complex layouts.

Take a look at Monkeybars (http://monkeybars.ruby...). You can
use a drag and drop designer to layout your app. We have an active
mailing list and the code is very stable. We also have distribution
covered well with Rawr so you can make a .exe to give to your users.
Monkeybars has been used for paid projects as well, and it's very easy
(and usually automatic) that it obfuscates your code, so if you want
to make a product that's hard to reverse engineer, it's a very good
route to go.

Logan Barnett
logustus@gmail.com
http://www.lo...

On May 12, 2009, at 11:20 AM, willcosgrove wrote:

> What is the best way to make a simple GUI with ruby for Windows? I've
> been using shoes ( http://s... ) but I was wondering if there
> was another way? Or is this how most people make a GUI with ruby?

Reth11

On May 12, 1:19 pm, willcosgrove <jesusfreak...@gmail.com> wrote:
> What is the best way to make a simple GUI with ruby for Windows?  I've
> been using shoes (http://s...) but I was wondering if there
> was another way?  Or is this how most people make a GUI with ruby?

I looked at Shoes and was not impressed. I found wxRuby, using XML
provided by Diaglog block to be awsome.