comp.lang.python

Getting python docstings

Rufman

2/22/2008 8:59:00 AM

Does anyone know how to get docstrings (reStructuredText) out of
python source code using docutils?

Thanks for the help.

Stephane
6 Answers

Stefan Behnel

Rufman wrote:
> Does anyone know how to get docstrings (reStructuredText) out of
> python source code using docutils?

Depends on what you mean with "get ... out of". There are tools like epydoc
that generate source code documentation, maybe that's what you mean?

Stefan

Rufman

On Feb 22, 10:36 am, Stefan Behnel <stefan...@behnel.de> wrote:
> Rufman wrote:
> > Does anyone know how to get docstrings (reStructuredText) out of
> > python source code using docutils?
>
> Depends on what you mean with "get ... out of". There are tools like epydoc
> that generate source code documentation, maybe that's what you mean?
>
> Stefan

Yeah...something like that, but using docutils.

Stephane

Marc 'BlackJack' Rintsch

On Fri, 22 Feb 2008 03:53:27 -0800, Rufman wrote:

> On Feb 22, 10:36 am, Stefan Behnel <stefan...@behnel.de> wrote:
>> Rufman wrote:
>> > Does anyone know how to get docstrings (reStructuredText) out of
>> > python source code using docutils?
>>
>> Depends on what you mean with "get ... out of". There are tools like epydoc
>> that generate source code documentation, maybe that's what you mean?
>
> Yeah...something like that, but using docutils.

What is "something like that"? If `epydoc` doesn't do what you want, then
*what* exactly *do* you want? You know that `epydoc` supports
reStructuredText as markup language!?

Ciao,
Marc 'BlackJack' Rintsch

Rufman

> You know that `epydoc` supports reStructuredText as markup language!?
> *what* exactly *do* you want?

Yes, I do... i was wondering if docutils (http://
docutils.sourceforge.net/) could do that as well (get my
reStructuredText documentation)

Stephane

Rufman

ok...i took a look at epydoc. I can produce html documentation, but
when i try to generate a pdf, I get this error:

Error: latex failed: File `fancyhdr.sty' not found.latex: Error
response from server: 404

my system:
- MiKTeX2.7 installed
- windows xp
- ghostscript 8.60

Thanks for the help

Stephane

Gerard Flanagan

On Feb 27, 3:42 pm, Rufman <stephaneru...@gmail.com> wrote:
> ok...i took a look at epydoc. I can produce html documentation, but
> when i try to generate a pdf, I get this error:
>
> Error: latex failed: File `fancyhdr.sty' not found.latex: Error
> response from server: 404
>
> my system:
> - MiKTeX2.7 installed
> - windows xp
> - ghostscript 8.60
>
> Thanks for the help
>
> Stephane

Don't know anything about EpyDoc (maybe try under cygwin?), but one
way to get a pdf from a reST document is to use `rst2latex.py` which
comes with docutils, then use MikTeX to generate a pdf from the LaTeX.

Gerard