Ruby's Windows One Click Installer is 16 months old

Jian Lin

5/9/2009 6:53:00 AM

Ruby's Windows One Click Installer is 16 months old... seems like, which
is 1.8.6 dated back to about 2007 December...

Does anyone know why no one made a 1-Click installer for Ruby 1.8.7 or
1.9? Is it that Ruby is used mostly by people using the Mac or Linux?

Robert Dober

On Sat, May 9, 2009 at 8:52 AM, Jian Lin <winterheat@gmail.com> wrote:
> Ruby's Windows One Click Installer is 16 months old... seems like, which
> is 1.8.6 dated back to about 2007 December...
That calls for a celebration!

--=20
Si tu veux construire un bateau ...
Ne rassemble pas des hommes pour aller chercher du bois, pr=E9parer des
outils, r=E9partir les t=E2ches, all=E9ger le travail=85 mais enseigne aux
gens la nostalgie de l=92infini de la mer.

If you want to build a ship, don=92t herd people together to collect
wood and don=92t assign them tasks and work, but rather teach them to
long for the endless immensity of the sea.

--
Antoine de Saint-Exup=E9ry

Roger Pack

> Does anyone know why no one made a 1-Click installer for Ruby 1.8.7 or
> 1.9? Is it that Ruby is used mostly by people using the Mac or Linux?

I believe the one click guy(s) didn't want to have to deal with binary
incompatibilities for 1.8.6 AND 1.8.7 , as well as didn't want to force
gem publishers to dual release binary extensions. Plus there were some
other oddities with 1.8.7 that made them leery of it.

Re: mostly used by Linux/mac...you got it. You can't even *run* the
test suite of 1.9.0p0 on windows. That's right--it hangs midtest.
Charlie Savage has been trying to help it come up to specs and...at
least run :) And the core developers are happy to accept (good)
patches, but it's definitely not their highest priority.

That being said, I use 1.9 on windows and it works well and faster (for
everything except EventMachine, which is broken, and some other gems
that aren't yet 1.9 compat, since almost everyone still uses 1.8.6, so
windows specific gems are a tidge behind).

If you're interested in trying out later builds you could try a mingw
distro[1].
Good luck!
-=r
[1]
http://programming-gone-awry.blogspot.com/2009/05/ruby-19-one-click-inst...

Luis Lavena

On May 9, 3:52 am, Jian Lin <winterh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Ruby's Windows One Click Installer is 16 months old... seems like, which
> is 1.8.6 dated back to about 2007 December...

Sure it is 16 months?

Hmn...

http://rubyforge.org/projects/rub...

Version
1.8.6-27 Release Candidate 2

Date
November 19, 2008

Doing math... November to May is 7 months, not to old.

> Does anyone know why no one made a 1-Click installer for Ruby 1.8.7 or
> 1.9?  Is it that Ruby is used mostly by people using the Mac or Linux?

All the answer to your questions here:

http://blog.mmediasys.com/2009/05/05/rubyinstaller-state-of-...

--
Luis Lavena

Yisroel Markov

On Thu, 12 Jun 2014 17:36:26 +0000 (UTC), kamlet@panix.com (Arthur
Kamlet) said:

>In article <h0ajp9deue5u7do2e49ft82g46qdmv1o4o@4ax.com>,
>Yisroel Markov <ey.markov@MUNGhotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>A couple of years ago I had a similar debate with another person
>>(Steve Goldfarb). He, too, held that a legal system can only be called
>>such if it has guns behind it. Well, we disagree on that - I believe
>>in voluntary legal systems.
>

>Yet we are commanded: Shoftim v'shotrim titan lach

Yes. What's your point? We had them, now we don't.

>"Judges and enforcement officers you shall appoint..."
>
>Compare shotrim [enforcement officers] with mishtarim [police]

Why?
--
Yisroel "Godwrestler Warriorson" Markov - Boston, MA Member
www.reason.com -- for a sober analysis of the world DNRC

Herman Rubin

On 2014-06-12, Yisroel Markov <ey.markov@MUNGiname.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 12 Jun 2014 17:36:26 +0000 (UTC), kamlet@panix.com (Arthur
> Kamlet) said:

>>In article <h0ajp9deue5u7do2e49ft82g46qdmv1o4o@4ax.com>,
>>Yisroel Markov <ey.markov@MUNGhotmail.com> wrote:

>>>A couple of years ago I had a similar debate with another person
>>>(Steve Goldfarb). He, too, held that a legal system can only be called
>>>such if it has guns behind it. Well, we disagree on that - I believe
>>>in voluntary legal systems.

>>Yet we are commanded: Shoftim v'shotrim titan lach

> Yes. What's your point? We had them, now we don't.

>>"Judges and enforcement officers you shall appoint..."

>>Compare shotrim [enforcement officers] with mishtarim [police]

> Why?

Aren't they essentially slightly different developments from
the same Hebrew root?