comp.lang.python

newbie in python

ctechnician

2/21/2008 10:53:00 AM

Hi anyone

I'm very interesed to learn python and really willing to do so,but
unfortunately dont know where to start, or what programs need to
install to start.

Can someone help me to get in the right track, and get a good move?

Thanks for all help

pls reply on
ctechnician@gmail.com
or
c.technician@hotmail.com
7 Answers

Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven

-On [20080221 11:56], ctechnician@gmail.com (ctechnician@gmail.com) wrote:
>Can someone help me to get in the right track, and get a good move?

http://wiki.python.org/moin/Begi...

ã?¤ã?§ã?«ã?¼ã?³ ã?©ã?¦ã??ã?­ã??ã?¯ ã?´ã?¡ã?³ ã??ã?« ã?¦ã?§ã?«ã?´ã?§ã?³
http://www.in-n... | http://www.ra...
E pluribus unum...

cokofreedom

> >Can someone help me to get in the right track, and get a good move?
>
> http://wiki.python.org/moin/Begi...

http://www.diveintop...

7stud --

ctechnic...@gmail.com wrote:
> Hi anyone
>
> I'm very interesed to learn python and really willing to do so,but
> unfortunately dont know where to start, or what programs need to
> install to start.
>
> Can someone help me to get in the right track, and get a good move?
>
> Thanks for all help

If you're a good student or you have prior programming experience, get
the book 'Learning Python', which just came out with a 3rd edition, so
it is the most up to date book.

If you are not such a good student or have no prior programming
experience, and you want a gentler introduction to python, check out
the book 'Python Programming for the Absolute Beginner(2nd Ed.)'

subeen

Dive into Python is a very good book but it's for people who have
experience in other languages. I liked the book.
Whatever book you read, please take a look at the Python Tutorial:
http://docs.python.org/tu..., it will help.

regards,
Subeen.
http://love-python.blo...

On Feb 21, 6:01 pm, 7stud <bbxx789_0...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> ctechnic...@gmail.com wrote:
> > Hi anyone
>
> > I'm very interesed to learn python and really willing to do so,but
> > unfortunately dont know where to start, or what programs need to
> > install to start.
>
> > Can someone help me to get in the right track, and get a good move?
>
> > Thanks for all help
>
> If you're a good student or you have prior programming experience, get
> the book 'Learning Python', which just came out with a 3rd edition, so
> it is the most up to date book.
>
> If you are not such a good student or have no prior programming
> experience, and you want a gentler introduction to python, check out
> the book 'Python Programming for the Absolute Beginner(2nd Ed.)'

michael poeltl

A big help for 'easily" learning python was and is

"Learning Python"
(a book written by Mark Lutz)

after having studied this book you are able to "think in python"

another book I like very much is

"Core Python Programming"
(written by Wesley Chun)

regards
michael

On Thursday 21 February 2008 03:26:17 pm subeen wrote:
> Dive into Python is a very good book but it's for people who have
> experience in other languages. I liked the book.
> Whatever book you read, please take a look at the Python Tutorial:
> http://docs.python.org/tu..., it will help.
>
> regards,
> Subeen.
> http://love-python.blo...
>
> On Feb 21, 6:01 pm, 7stud <bbxx789_0...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > ctechnic...@gmail.com wrote:
> > > Hi anyone
> > >
> > > I'm very interesed to learn python and really willing to do so,but
> > > unfortunately dont know where to start, or what programs need to
> > > install to start.
> > >
> > > Can someone help me to get in the right track, and get a good move?
> > >
> > > Thanks for all help
> >
> > If you're a good student or you have prior programming experience, get
> > the book 'Learning Python', which just came out with a 3rd edition, so
> > it is the most up to date book.
> >
> > If you are not such a good student or have no prior programming
> > experience, and you want a gentler introduction to python, check out
> > the book 'Python Programming for the Absolute Beginner(2nd Ed.)'

Jeff Schwab

ctechnician@gmail.com wrote:

> I'm very interesed to learn python and really willing to do so,but
> unfortunately dont know where to start, or what programs need to
> install to start.

There are several good replies already on this thread, but in case any
experienced programmers searching the Google archives are looking for
the fastest way to learn Python, I highly recommend Python in a Nutshell
by Alex Martelli (O'Reilly). Good tutorial, high information density,
avoids hand-waving, solid reference.

Do *not* bother with Programming Python until you have some experience
with the core language. I don't know why O'Reilly called it that,
except to mislead people into thinking it was similar to the highly
successful Programming Perl; if so, I fell for it, and so did plenty of
other people (so there's probably a copy in your coworker's office
already). Programming Python is (despite its size) the moral equivalent
of the O'Reilly "Cookbooks" for other languages. It's not necessarily a
bad book, but the only language/library tutorial it gives is meant to be
a review, not an introduction.

CM

On Feb 21, 5:52 am, ctechnic...@gmail.com wrote:
> Hi anyone
>
> I'm very interesed to learn python and really willing to do so,but
> unfortunately dont know where to start, or what programs need to
> install to start.
>
> Can someone help me to get in the right track, and get a good move?
>
> Thanks for all help
>
> pls reply on
> ctechnic...@gmail.com
> or
> c.technic...@hotmail.com

I'd first want to know if you are just new to Python or are new to
programming generally. Second, for what reason do you want to learn
Python? What is it that you want to do with it?